1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Super simple online store theme

Discussion in 'HTML & Website Design' started by seapea9, Aug 26, 2015.

Hi all,

I hope this was the right section to post my question.
    I'm looking to re-design my already 'existing' online store. I'm a jewellery designer who started a namesake line/business nearly 2 years ago. My online store was designed with WordPress and is hosted by Midphase. It was recently suspended because I hadn't renewed payment - I wanted to see if I could redesign it and if I would need to find a new platform (?) (I'm not very familiar with web design so I apologize if I'm using the wrong terms... please bear with me.) I had previously hired a web agency to do this for me but now I'd like to do it myself, if possible.

I'll start with this question first: I'd like a website similar to therow.com or rejinapyo.com . You can see they're both super minimalist and simple. The only difference is that I would need to be able to sell on my website, whereas these function more as portfolios? Can I recreate this on WordPress? Or would something like Shopify work better?

Really hoping someone might be able to help me out. Please let me know, thanks!! :)

seapea9, Aug 26, 2015 IP
  2. PoPSiCLe

PoPSiCLe Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    Well... while both of those sites you linked are pretty, they're completely useless. Neither of them work without javascript enabled, and the code behind them is an accessibility disaster.
    That being said, the general design of the pages aren't hard to make, and could probably be utilized for an online store if one wanted to. However, if you're gonna display a lot of goods on the page, you might want to avoid full-cover background images, as they both take away from the content, and makes loading slower.
    Wordpress is more than capable of doing what you need, although you might want to (if you're not already doing it) invest in some sort of e-commerce plugin for Wordpress.
    However, building themes for Wordpress is an involved process, and not something I would recommend for a beginner in web-design. Nor would I recommend building themes for any other e-commerce site from scratch without some significant experience - there are plenty of pitfalls, and it's hard to get everything right.

PoPSiCLe, Aug 26, 2015 IP
  3. COBOLdinosaur

COBOLdinosaur Active Member

Best Answers:
    In the jewelry business would recommend that someone without the qualifications start by mounting diamonds? If a web site is important to your business then don't screw things up with a DIY mess without invest some time learning the basic technology. If you use Wordpress then your fate will be like 99% of amateurs who try to do something more than a blog... a bloated load of junk vulnerable to hackers that does not attract much traffic. Its even worse if the site starts with design instead of functionality as the priority; and from what you say that is where your head is.

You have 3 simple options
    1. Take the time to learn the basic technologies well enough to understand the difference between pretty layered on crap and cose that is error free.
    2. Hire a professional to do the work for you.
    3. Continue down s road to nowhere and add another worthless bit of junk to the internet trash heap.

COBOLdinosaur, Aug 26, 2015 IP
  4. FarrisFahad

FarrisFahad Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    You can go to Themeforest and look for a theme that fits you. You can find there e-commerce and Wrodpress themes. Google it.

FarrisFahad, Aug 26, 2015 IP
  5. bryanps

bryanps Member

Best Answers:
    I would suggest getting your theme professionally done. I have some options on how you can do that. Please PM me if you are interested.

bryanps, Jan 24, 2019 IP