1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Sun buys MySql?

Discussion in 'MySQL' started by PlasmaLuv, Jan 16, 2008.

1. amnezia

amnezia Peon

Best Answers:
    Yes lots of people still use oracle.

amnezia, Jan 22, 2008 IP
  2. mwzd

mwzd Member

Best Answers:
    Excellent news.

Though I just hope Sun stays true to form and doesn't kill the open source aspect.

Cheers!

mwzd, Jan 22, 2008 IP
  3. GoglGourd

GoglGourd Active Member

Best Answers:
    Not using it now but have used PostgreSQL in the past when I used perl as my primary language. A lot more powerful but frankly, i don't use relationships.. so why would I bother? the way things are going, will there be any difference between the two soon?

GoglGourd, Jan 22, 2008 IP
  4. Bryce

Bryce Peon

Best Answers:
    Heck, as far as efficiency goes, there's nothing like an old fashioned B-tree data structure. If you can code in C/C++ and mind your string pointers (thank God for STL), no relational database is as fast as a B-tree.

As far as mySQL's future, I really don't see a lot of the "open source" developers who put the project on the map involved with it any more. Remember, there is a diference between a programmer putting his/her heart and soul into a free "open source" product and a Sun certified engineer making $90K per year who spends 40-60% of his/hertime in "team meetings"... Been on both sides and wasted two years of my life as a GUI developer for OS2 which got scrapped.

As a developer, I wouldn't worry if Sun bombs mySQL because something else will step in to fill the void.

Bryce, Jan 26, 2008 IP
  5. p.johnpeter

p.johnpeter Peon

Best Answers:
    Hello Friends..............

This could help...

http://www.linux.com/feed/124832

p.johnpeter, Jan 28, 2008 IP
  6. Joobz

Joobz Peon

Best Answers:
    Haha, Bryce, I knew once I started reading your post exactly where this was going. Man you are dead on with that call..... very insightful indeed.

Postgres, here we come!

Joobz, Jan 28, 2008 IP