1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Suggestions on BEST security for WP

Discussion in 'WordPress' started by My Montage, Apr 14, 2011.

I have a WordPress blog and currently have SiteLock on it (it came with the package my hosting company gave me). I want to have it to where people can come and leave comments without logging in but i kept getting spammed and malware links. So I had to close my comment section and force people to create username and/or login to their account in order to post a comment. I've seen the comments go down since doing this.

I'm also receiving BS trackback from malware/spammers as well. I have to manually go in and delete these daily. Is there a better way to handle this. I'm a new to this and don't know much about the tech side of things (esp coding) so please dumb it down lol

Thanks

My Montage, Apr 14, 2011 IP
  2. Extension103

Extension103 Guest

Best Answers:
    askimens is your best best for spam, but it doesnt catch everything.

you can stop alot of spammers by denying bad requests, adding blacklist phrases, and or user agents. (cough, cough, check out WP Ultimate in sig.)

Last edited: Apr 15, 2011
    Extension103, Apr 15, 2011 IP
  3. joshuthomas

joshuthomas Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Dear Montage,

Ideally to block and reduce spam i have used AKISMET and GASP, these are good plugins to identify and reduce website SPAM. In addition, make sure you either moderate your comments or use a plugin that requires authentication to login to comment like: Disqus plugin for commenting or Intense Debate from Automattic (wordpress developers).

In addition, you can learn more about how to improve your WordPress blog's security here: http://orangecopper.com/blog/how-to-improve-wordpress-blog-security

warm regards
    Josh

joshuthomas, Apr 16, 2011 IP
  4. GeriTol

GeriTol Peon

Best Answers:
    one more vote for akismet it is th one featured by wordpress, and its akways in the "starting package" but you need to register it and will get a number to make it work :)

GeriTol, Apr 16, 2011 IP