1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Suggestions for Copy that Motivates/Compels

Discussion in 'Copywriting' started by old_expat, Jun 23, 2006.

I'm starting very gradually on a project that will add some affiliate links/pages to one of my niche sites. It is a 5 year old information site with about 90 pages of unique content on gemology, jewelry, precious gems, diamonds and pearls.

The products can be very well targeted to the theme of the site and even to individual article pages .. i.e. "Earrings from Hell"

For several items, I'm going to need good landing pages .. so I'm wondering what are some of the words or phrases that would serve me best in compelling potential buyers?

All suggestions .. and any marketing tips .. appreciated:)

old_expat, Jun 23, 2006 IP
  2. marketjunction

marketjunction Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    You will be best served by hiring a good copywriter. Simply stuffing in some words or phrases won't do much of anything unless the entire text is crafted properly.

However, if you are looking for just one word to put, use free. :D

marketjunction, Jun 26, 2006 IP
  3. old_expat

old_expat Peon

Best Answers:
    Actually, I'm a pretty fair writer and spent many years in marketing. What I'm trying to do is make that transition from brick and mortar to internet.

I posted this looking for ideas

Since I will not have any freebies, "free" would be a last choice. I believe strongly in credibility either online or offline.

old_expat, Jun 26, 2006 IP
  4. TheWriteWay

TheWriteWay Peon

Best Answers:
    Hey Old Expat. Wrote a sales letter for a website selling diamond rings once. Be glad to share my swap files. Here are some phrases I collected for that project...

flawless finish
    masterful creation
    crafted with precision
    timeless classic
    exclusively crafted by human hands
    exquisite design
    unparalleled wokmanship
    finest finish of flawless elegance
    impeccably designed
    masterfully crafted
    handcrafted with meticulous care
    precise attention to details
    One of a kind
    richness of texture for the ages
    engineered to last a lifetime
    the ultimate expression of love
    finished for forever
    absolutely world-class
    employing engineering techniques perfected through the ages
    astute brilliance
    feels like a million dollars for much less
    dazzling design
    a marriage of elegance and engineering
    a stunning addition
    flattering forever
    more value than its price tag
    absolute winner as clear as our diamonds
    there's no other like it
    show her you care
    capturing the splendor of life/love/romance
    functionally elegant
    opulent surface
    unequalled sophistication
    contemporary and timeless
    a work of art and more

Hope these helped.

TheWriteWay, Jun 26, 2006 IP
  5. YMC

YMC Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I would use the Overture or another tool to find keyword phrases.

For example, do a search on earrings and see what phrases people search for. Since they are describing what they are looking for, it will tell you what they want. After all, isn't having what they want the whole point of marketing copy?

YMC, Jun 27, 2006 IP
  6. mhdoc

mhdoc Tauren

Best Answers:
    mhdoc, Jun 27, 2006 IP
  7. marketjunction

marketjunction Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Hey, I forgot to mention this. There are books out there that will give you some great ideas. Look for Phrases That Sell and other ones like it at Amazon. If they are at your local bookstore, just go read them there and copy down what you like.

;)

marketjunction, Jun 27, 2006 IP
  8. ContentWorth

ContentWorth Peon

Best Answers:
    I agree, avoid the word "free". Also avoid "cheap", "gratis", or the like. These often drive unqualified traffic.

On landing pages use one or two keywords or phrases, don't over saturate, and make sure the text appeals once it's up. Visual placement and structure is incredibly important on the web.

I offer copywriting services if you're interested, I build landing pages regularly. I see you've stated you're a pretty fair writer, but the option stands.

All content should be written to appeal to the reader, regardless of the subject. Putting down words isn't enough and keyword stuffing won't yeild the results you're looking for.

The keyword list supplied above seems pretty thorough. Only use words that actually target your audience though.

Hint: If you expect to place to for "earrings" you'll have a lot of work to do. It's too broad. If you try "earrings" in PPC you'll pay bundles for no reason. Make sure the words you use are targeted, but don't overlook the obvious. Optimizing for "earrings from hell" also optimizes for plain "earrings" ;) Be creative.

ContentWorth, Jun 29, 2006 IP
  9. old_expat

old_expat Peon

Best Answers:
    While I do consider myself a "pretty fair writer" (which is better than being a "pretty poor writer"), I know enough to know that:

1 - fair writing isn't good/great writing
    2 - fair writing won't sell as much as good writing
    3 - that good business/essay/fiction writing usually isn't good sales writing

I tend to be more technician than artist. My assumption is that there tends to be a common underlying approach to structure, pov and voice in good sales writing, and that's what I want to learn.

old_expat, Jun 29, 2006 IP