1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Suggestion for PHP Link Directory Web Directory Owners

Discussion in 'Directories' started by mystikmedia, Mar 26, 2007.

1. templates

templates Notable Member

Best Answers:
    well,i bought the MOD from an0n and i have not made anything back yet,but i have not tried to promote it until pr update happens,but i may start a thread in a few minutes..anyway,when an0n releases the sponsor MOD,i will be one of the first in line to buy from him,because i like to support the coders that do good work and are honorable

templates, Apr 7, 2007 IP
    threebuckchuck likes this.
  2. NeoGen

NeoGen Writer

Best Answers:
    Thanks for the feedback, even at times I get confused on what to submit as deep / multiple links.

Look this mod for sure gives you an edge in comparison to others, but you have to promote and market your site real hard.

NeoGen, Apr 7, 2007 IP
  3. Brian1970

Brian1970 Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Thanks to an0n www.mainsearches.com now has the deep links mod.

Featured Listings now has 7 Deep Links.

Regular Listings with 5 deep Link.

Thanks Rob, great work.

Brian1970, Apr 7, 2007 IP
  4. mystikmedia

mystikmedia Jedi Master

Best Answers:
    The first thing that comes to mind when I read about all this is how disappointing it is...someone in the community that we know doing something like this to another member. To sum it up: from what I can gather, Rob develops a MOD and someone comes to Rob to get a MOD installed, says it is too much, and then goes to this second person (who has Rob's list of MODs already, as to not recreate the wheel and bump heads) to get the MOD installed by them, knowing full well that it has not been purchased from the original coder. Very disturbing. The *only* useful thing that comes out of this is that it really helps you know who you should do business with around here. I can't speak for others, but I cannot and will not do business with people that do this.

mystikmedia, Apr 7, 2007 IP
  5. templates

templates Notable Member

Best Answers:
    well said mystic..i would rather show my respect from the coder/developer by buying from them,than try and save a few dollars..its all ethics

templates, Apr 7, 2007 IP
  6. Fastian

Fastian Peon

Best Answers:
    No sensible person would do.

I think it can’t be said in better words.

It’s really a disappointing to see such things happening here. It must be frustrating for any developer seeing his working going out like that.

May be we should make a “Hall of Shame” for such people and let everyone know who they are dealing with.

Fastian, Apr 7, 2007 IP
  7. humm

humm बहादुर बच्चा

Best Answers:
    Same here.... I will also as soon as anon get his sponsored mod released, purchase it.

@ Anon just a suggestion, why don't you create a page/site/link wherein you mention the site you have done your mods for?

There are a lot of people like who have got the original mods done. :)

humm, Apr 7, 2007 IP
  8. Freewebspace

Freewebspace Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Really I have heard about anon's mods but I have not seen anything why????

Freewebspace, Apr 7, 2007 IP
  9. FOX LORE

FOX LORE Notable Member

Best Answers:

The only way your going to get any money back is your going have to "promote" it..i already made 25$ back. Keyword: promote, promote and promote it some more. ;)

FOX LORE, Apr 7, 2007 IP
  10. Richie_Ni

Richie_Ni Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    Which one?
    Deep Link MOD??

Richie_Ni, Apr 7, 2007 IP
  11. syted

syted Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Yes, I agree with all that's been said here. Also Rob not only develops the high quality mods, but also offers excellent support, I speak from experience :eek:

syted, Apr 7, 2007 IP
  12. dvduval

dvduval Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I can vouch for this. I never get any complaints about Rob failing to support his mods. I can't remember ever getting a single one. Clearly, he does a good job. I'm glad to see people are helping those that helped them.

dvduval, Apr 7, 2007 IP
  13. FOX LORE

FOX LORE Notable Member

Best Answers:

I totally agree with the support..i really respect anon by the way he handle the first time that i work with him. There where a lot of problems getting those directories up and it took more time than expect but he push on and probably never thought about quitting on me... i knew right than that he would go very far in life. ;)

FOX LORE, Apr 7, 2007 IP
  14. Madness

Madness Guest

Best Answers:

Not really how it was Chris, I got deeplinks on both of my directories $100.00 each, then I asked Rob I noticed that some ppl have extra fields, he said It was a different mod extra link mod or something like that, cant think right at the moment, he said It was $250.00, and I thought that was a little expensive, and I remember seeing a post how to add fields in phpld forums, so I said to Rob I will do it my self.

Now the thread I was thinking about was deleted, so started searching and found a thread that someone saved in a zip, I downloaded that and started to do it my self, it didn't work, I then noticed that the thread I downloaded was very old, so I asked a coder If he could sort out the code for new versions and he did.

Now why are we having this conversation?

There are coders from places like http://www.rentacoder.com/RentACoder/default.asp that would of done this mod, shit I could of even copyrighted it and resold it!

But this is not how it happened, should we get bullied into thinking that there is only one coder on this planet? I don't think so.
    We have choices, to choose who we want, in this case It's not even a rip as the info was available long before that link mod was

I hope ppl have a better understanding on what happened, this was not deliberate.
    Rob I'm afraid If you corner ppl to buy your mod at such high prices, ppl will try to look at alternatives, just Like I have, and in this case the info was readily available.

Madness, Apr 7, 2007 IP
    romow likes this.
  15. mystikmedia

mystikmedia Jedi Master

Best Answers:
    I didn't know all of that, but everything is still the same. There seems to have been an agreement between the two not to do MODs the other had done. I believe that's the issue, and then it being paid and used...

mystikmedia, Apr 7, 2007 IP
  16. dvduval

dvduval Notable Member

Best Answers:
    For the record, I have discussed everything carefully with an0n, both before and after he became upset. There was a situation where I was planning to rewrite the titles of article pages so that the name of the article was included in the URL (like we have been doing on article script for a long time (ex. http://www.articlescript.org/article-demo/Adding_Videos.html). Someone brought up the fact that he was already doing this on detail pages. I consulted with him on this, and he said he would provide the mod for phpLD's use. We already had written one, but instead waited for him to provide it. He changed his mind and said he did not want to provide the mod. I agreed not to include it in the next release of phpLD, and asked him to prepare a method so people can buy his mod.

I have always tried to help protect Mod Developers, such as vsDan and an0n, because they do a lot to help phpLD users, and also benefit themselves when people buy their mods so it is a win-win situation. At the same time, I have never made any guarantees. Imagine 1-2 years from now there are 300 mods floating around, and we are trying to create a new release, and are going through a jungle of mods to see what we can and cannot do. So I do reserve the right to make improvements to phpLD even if it involves writing code that performs a similar function to an existing mod.

I am not out to step on people's toes, and an0n asked me not to release the code we wrote that was similar to what an0ns mod does. We are not planning to release the mod because of his request. I told him this BEFORE he made the above statement, so I'm not sure why he did this, but I will continue to try to talk him about it.

I asked an0n to create an easy way for people to purchase the mod and I hope he will follow through with this so that we can continue to have a win-win situation. I welcome anyone's comments about what you think I could have done better.

dvduval, Apr 7, 2007 IP
  17. an0n

an0n Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    I provided the download for you via PM

Then why not do it? Are you going to higher a coder to support it too? Cost effectivness?
    with me, not only do you get the MODs, you get my support and my upgrades, and that's for any version, any install, for any problem that may occur. Who are you going to call on when your copyrighted material fails?

see above as you've answered your own question.

How could it not be deliberate, you went and caused a problem between two MODers who have an agreeance between each other not to bump heads.

That is INcorrect. I already spoke to dan and he told me docs took SIX hours to compile.

edit:

Hi Rob:

I just had a look at the list, and do see that one now. That is my fault. I was working from memory, and just Deep Links stuck out. For what it is worth, my apologies! I have deleted the doc (that provides step-by-step instructions on now to add additional link types - quite the doc that took nearly 6 hours to write). It was not published on site yet - and of course, will not.

an0n, Apr 7, 2007 IP
  18. popotalk

popotalk Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Ah-Ah. You go to Mcdonalds and order a cheeseburger with everything on it. Ate a part and say I want another of the part from Wendy's. Is that what your trying to say ? C'mon dude be a man and stick to the flavor.

You want something big and it turn out small instead.

Good Luck To You.

popotalk, Apr 7, 2007 IP
  19. MattEvers

MattEvers Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I don't comment much in the directory forum, but I would like to chime in here.

I don't think you should not release an extra feature just because somebody already had a mod for it. That's tough for them. It's business.

Do I think you should steal mods? Definitely no. Do I think you should create mods that mirror other's mods simply to put them out of business? No again. But if you already had planned on releasing a feature and only after, discovered a mod existed serving similar needs, you shouldn't not include the feature in the next update.

That's not good for the people who pay for PHPLD and your business as a whole.

I agree backstabbing isn't good business. But I don't think this is the case here. Business is business. I have had PPC ideas net me thousands of dollars per month. Soon after somebody with a much bigger budget outbids me and cuts my profit margin so low I can't continue anymore. Do I call Google and tell them I don't think it's fair? No... Adapt. Create bigger, better mods. It's all about adaptation in business.

MattEvers, Apr 7, 2007 IP
  20. popotalk

popotalk Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Well said Matt. Because I'm tired of people ripping others work. I don't care anymore who they are. :mad:

popotalk, Apr 7, 2007 IP