1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Suddenly seeing lacs of pageviews on a single page, from where it is coming?

Discussion in 'Google Analytics' started by saching1, Apr 13, 2016.

Hi,

On a single webpage, there was only 749 pageviews on 5th April, suddenly on 6th April I saw massive increment in pageviews i.e. 68466 and unique pageviews only 3100 and avg time on page is very low.

On 7th April, total pageviews was 190220 while unique pageviews was 8181 on Navratri Recipes page while all the other pages have genuine traffic. Continuously I am getting these pageviews.

Through Google Analytics, Section "Behavior" and "Secondary Dimension", I am presenting some more details about these pageviews (68466 & 190220). It is showing Organic and Direct traffic.
    Referral path - Not set
    Medium - Organic, none
    Source - Google, Direct
    Source / Medium - (Google/Organic) & (Direct/None)
    Traffic Type - Organic / Direct

From where suddenly I got so much pageviews (traffic), please help me to find out this. I want to remove these spam pageviews / traffic.

saching1, Apr 13, 2016 IP
  2. fisasti

fisasti Active Member

Best Answers:
    Hi. Could you please provide the acquisition statistics? It's important to know how much of it is organic search and how much is direct traffic. If the organic search amount of traffic didn't change, then it might be an automated external process doing requests to your website.

fisasti, Apr 13, 2016 IP
  3. saching1

saching1 Active Member

Best Answers:
    Hi Fisasti,

Thanks for your reply.

Please see the Aquisition stats below -
    5th April - Organic= 10705 and Direct= 2083

6th April - Organic= 15059 and Direct= 3389

7th April - Organic= 20039 and Direct= 5177

It is festival website and this festival was on 8th April so i was sure that organic/direct traffic will be increase and i have seen that and have no problem with that, But the main problem is suddenly on a single page i was getting thousands and lacs of pageviews and avg time on them is 04 second. This page is not so important for that website and in Google SERP it was coming on second page.

Please see the Pageviews details also on that single page not on whole website -

5th April - Total PV = 749 and Unique PV - 293 and Avg Time - 16 second

6th April - Total PV = 68466 and Unique PV - 3100 and Avg Time - 05 second

7th April - Total PV = 190220 and Unique PV - 8181 and Avg Time - 04 second

The real problem is difference between total PV and Unique PV and avg time. While other pages on website have Avg Time around 30 seconds.

Please let me know, how could i know from where these pageviews are coming on that single page, showing in GA.

saching1, Apr 13, 2016 IP
  4. fisasti

fisasti Active Member

Best Answers:
    Well, if you analize the relation between the unique pageviews and the total you can see that the the PA/UN is growing like with a multiplier. On April 5th you have a total amount of pageviews that represents 2.55 times the unique pageviews. On April 7th, that number goes to 23,75.
    At the same time, based on the statistics you provide, unique visits (organic + direct) duplicated, so there has to be another reason for both the unique pageviews and the total pageviews for that web.

It's time to think now. One possibility is that you're loading this webpage from an internal or external one. Internal requests: Are you using any iframes in your website? Is your 404 page different from the page we are talking about?
    External requests: could anybody be loading your pages content?

Check out the list of visitors on April 7th for that particular page, maybe there are a lot of requests from the same IP and that would also explain the increase.

Good luck!

fisasti, Apr 18, 2016 IP