1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Submitting Your Own Articles to Social Networking Sites?

Discussion in 'Social Networks' started by sadcox, Apr 3, 2007.

?

How do you feel about submitting your own articles to SN sites?

1. Submit all you like, as long as the articles are real and unique

6 vote(s)
    50.0%
  2. Part of a good marketing strategy, just don't over do it

5 vote(s)
    41.7%
  3. Never submit your own articles because you may get banned

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Never submit your own articles because it is against the spirit of Social Networking

1 vote(s)
    8.3%
    I've submitted a few of my own articles to Digg, Reddit, etc. with mixed results. They were all unique content, legit articles, but I can't help but be concerned that I'm flirting with being banned.

What do the SN sites consider spamming? Is submitting your own articles really bad, or just another way to get your site out there, like submitting to directories?

sadcox, Apr 3, 2007 IP
  2. thechamp

thechamp Peon

Best Answers:
    I'm wondering the same thing

thechamp, Apr 3, 2007 IP
  3. JasonBartholme

JasonBartholme Peon

Best Answers:
    There are a few social sites that frown on submitting your own content. I submitted regular content from one of my sites and they accused me of spamming and self-promotion. Simpy never sent much traffic anyway, but they index well. I believe your karma on Reddit suffers if you continuously submit pages from the same domain. For Digg, I have others submit my posts to avoid any red flags that may exist.

I submit my own to Netscape.com all the time and never had a problem.

This is just observations from my personal experience. Take it with a grain of salt.

JasonBartholme, Apr 3, 2007 IP
  4. Pixelrage

Pixelrage Peon

Best Answers:
    uh oh :(

I've done this on many non-blogger sites (like squidoo, blinklist, etc) by putting press releases with lots of keyword-rich links. I hope it doesn't create a problem...

Pixelrage, Apr 3, 2007 IP
  5. mrgarylee

mrgarylee Guest

Best Answers:
    I've been submitting mostly my own and some other of my favorite blogs. I hope they don't think it's spamming, since they are real articles!

mrgarylee, Apr 3, 2007 IP
  6. Darkhodge

Darkhodge Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    As long as you submit unique, interesting content I don't see the harm. You won't be benefiting that much anyway unless you get a good response from the other users, which will only happen if the article you submitted is good, in which case you're supporting the SN site IMO. :)

Darkhodge, Apr 3, 2007 IP
  7. ez-online-money.com

ez-online-money.com Peon

Best Answers:
    I've dugg my own articles that were already dugg by someone else...

ez-online-money.com, Apr 3, 2007 IP
  8. sadcox

sadcox Peon

Best Answers:
    Looking forward to the opportunity to do the same, but it hasn't presented itself yet. :(

sadcox, Apr 5, 2007 IP
  9. john269

john269 Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I have submitted a few of my sites articles at digg, but no longer really do it. I don't see the point as the traffic is not that much anyway and people will only slate you for submitting your own articles and they can easily find out that you have been doing that by looking at a members submission history or probably by something else and once they find out they will probably report you to the sites management team anyway.

john269, Apr 5, 2007 IP
  10. kh7

kh7 Peon

Best Answers:
    It really depends on the site. Sites like Netscape and Stumbleupon do have penalties for people who submit too many articles from one domain. Netscape will ban you. Stumbleupon will just make it impossible for you to submit anything from that site for a while.
    Sites like delicio.us and furl will just let you submit whatever you want - no penalties. Still, it is only useful to submit things that are reasonably likely to get popular.

kh7, Apr 6, 2007 IP
  11. Pixelrage

Pixelrage Peon

Best Answers:
    I've bookmarked my own site on del.icio.us and have yet to get even 1 hit. I don't understand what you're supposed to do to get noticed on that site (don't hate me, but I don't have the time or patience to meet strangers and swap links with them) - there must be another way...?

Pixelrage, Apr 6, 2007 IP
  12. giantbuddha

giantbuddha Peon

Best Answers:
    It can actually work to your advantage.

As far a social networking sites go...

Take for example the recent crack-down on MySpace spam and promotions. Depending on what you're promoting, it can be risky posting links to outside material.

BUT - if you post your article (with your outgoing links etc) on your MySpace BLOG space, you can then point other users to your MySpace blog post. Your working within TOS and helping to build the community - and still get to brand yourself or your product. Win-Win.

And for social bookmarking sites...

The ones where the traffic comes from ratings - like Netscape and Digg - will often catch on if you're promoting your own stuff over and over. I learned this lesson the hard way with Netscape a while back :)

(If you're creating decent content and getting it out there, others should be finding it and bookmarking it for you anyways.)

As mentioned above - social bookmarking sites that are created as a service mainly for the single user to keep track of his/her links (like delicious and furl) should have no reason to care how many of your own links you add to your own account - that's the whole point.

Those types of social bookmarking sites are VERY useful!

Hope this helps.

giantbuddha, Apr 6, 2007 IP
  13. john269

john269 Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I'm doing much better than you then, I have had a total of 2 uniques from del.icio.us in about the last 6 months I believe. I'm also like you in that I have not got time to meet strangers and swap links with them.

If you are in business, then time costs money, even if you are not in business time still costs money really.

john269, Apr 6, 2007 IP
  14. Pixelrage

Pixelrage Peon

Best Answers:
    hah...good to know someone else is experiencing the same thing, I thought I was alone there.

I have a "bookmark us" plugin that lists all of the major ones in icon format, it's on all 680+ of my pages, and I don't think I've had a single visitor use it yet.

15. sadcox

sadcox Peon

Best Answers:
    Same experience, but I actually think this is okay for now. If you are like me, every time you hear about something new and cool you feel like you should have known about it a long time ago, mostly because you found out about it through some other techie-ish person (we hate not being up on the latest and greatest).

However, if you look at the big picture, we are usually waaaaaaay out in front of the general public when it comes to new and cool stuff.

I don't think social bookmarking/networking has really caught on with the general public yet. It will...just stick with it. WE already know that it is a good and fresh idea. Others will eventually see the light.

sadcox, Apr 6, 2007 IP
  16. Pixelrage

Pixelrage Peon

Best Answers:
    that's a good point. I spend 8 hours a day on the internet, and actually have found out about social bookmarking for the very first time, 2 months ago!

17. john269

john269 Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I don't have any icons to social networks on my site. I didn't see the point in adding them as most people probably wouldn't click on them anyway, but I guess if you don't try then you will never know.

john269, Apr 6, 2007 IP
  18. john269

john269 Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I couldn't believe what I just saw. I had started using Google Analytics on one of my sites yesturday and it has pulled in a total of 2000 pageviews so far. I have only put it on one of my sites just to try it. This site is not entertainment based. There is no entertainment on it what so ever.

Stats so far are:

Stumbleupon: 4 visits, 4.5 pageviews per visit
    del.icio.us: 2 visits, 7 pageviews per visit

OK, I know they are not much to go by, but I am very shocked by that amount of pageviews on average per visit. Unless these stats that Google gives are very inaccurate, but I would doubt it very much as it is giving the direct source of the traffic so it is definately nothing to do with robot's here. lol

So, from looking at this site I do get some traffic from del.icio.us. 2 visits and the stats have been up for only a day and half. I have quite a few people that have bookmarked it though. I guess the more bookmarks you get per url the more traffic you receive.

john269, Apr 6, 2007 IP
  19. kh7

kh7 Peon

Best Answers:
    I think part of the issue is that delicio is so big now, it is going to be hard to get your one link noticed.
    My Buddhism site recently crossed a threshold of some sort on there. It used to not be bookmarked by very many people at all - one before me, months later a third etc. But now there are suddenly 15 people linking to that site. In other words: it's starting to amount to something. But compared to the main Buddhist sites out there, it's still a small player and likely to stay that way.

Given that it's easier to be a big fish in a small pond then a small fish in a big pond - it's a good idea to target out of the way keywords. And if you are operating in some language other then English: do get in on social bookmarking in that language now, it's likely still a wide open space where you can seem like a big player (and be one).

kh7, Apr 7, 2007 IP