1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Submitting to "correct" category have effect

Discussion in 'Directories' started by cmeinck, Jul 19, 2005.

I, like so many on DP, sumbit often to directories both free and paid. From time to time, I'm unable to get the "exact" category that is suitable for my site. That being said, my expectations are not to receive traffic, but increase PR -- exposure, etc. What effect, if any, does it have on my site if I'm listed in an area that's not specific to my area. For example, my site fits nicely in a subsection of Computers entitlted PDAs (Personal Digital Assistants). I find myself submitting to Computers >> Hardware, since not all directories have this specific category.

I'm curious what everyone's opinion is on this issue?

TIA
    Chris

cmeinck, Jul 19, 2005 IP
  2. WhatiFind

WhatiFind offline

Best Answers:
    If you do not submit in the right category the site will be rejected or moved to the correct category by the admin of the directory.

I must agree that there are directories not covering all the topics but you can always suggest a new category to the owner of the directory.

I believe submitting to hardware is your case with pdas a good option but be sure to check the Consumer Electronics category. I would submit a pda site there.

WhatiFind, Jul 19, 2005 IP
  3. cmeinck

cmeinck Active Member

Best Answers:
    In some cases, I've submitted to Consumer Electronics areas. I usually do a search for PDA to get an idea of any competing sites -- and where they are placed. I've found Consumer Electronics is often in Shopping. I have a store attached to my site, so it's not the worst. However, I try and submit my main site. So far, so good -- no rejections. In some cases, I've asked for directories to create new categories. The downside is that those pages initially have no PR. I'm thinking in the big PR directories - PR will eventually find it's way to my category. For example, Seven Seek is a PR 6, but my category is PR0. I imagine that will go up in time. After all, I'm in this for the long haul and a good directory is a good directory.

-Chris

cmeinck, Jul 19, 2005 IP
  4. kalius

kalius Peon

Best Answers:
    Check if your category page is indexed and of so what date it was indexed. If its new it might not be index, hence no PR on it yet

kalius, Jul 19, 2005 IP
  5. cmeinck

cmeinck Active Member

Best Answers:
    Looks like it was indexed on June 27th -- no PR yet. Looks like I'll have to wait for next PR update unit PR is distributed to that category.

cmeinck, Jul 19, 2005 IP
  6. dejaone

dejaone Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I use "keyword site:dmoz.org" to figure out right categories for directory submissions.

dejaone, Jul 19, 2005 IP
  7. larysmith711

larysmith711 Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Submiting to the right category is the most important thing to do.

larysmith711, Jul 19, 2005 IP
  8. WhatiFind

WhatiFind offline

Best Answers:
    Great tip!;)

WhatiFind, Jul 19, 2005 IP