1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Submitted on 01/11/09 Count down begins

Discussion in 'ODP / DMOZ' started by Jin, Jan 11, 2009.

1. Qryztufre

Qryztufre Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    I'd suspect that you didn't even read the ADD page when you submitted, and you certainly didn't read the rest of the guidelines...

From the ADD page:
    Procedure After Your Site is Submitted

An ODP editor will review your submission to determine whether to include it in the directory. Depending on factors such as the volume of submissions to the particular category, it may take several weeks or more before your submission is reviewed. Please only submit a URL to the Open Directory once. Again, multiple submissions of the same or related sites may result in the exclusion and/or deletion of those and all affiliated sites. Disguising your submission and submitting the same URL more than once is not permitted.​

So you may be waiting a loooooooooong time if ya keep that up.

makrhod is also correct... editors are not required to even look at the submission queue. So in actuality, depending on the category, your average wait time to submitting and NOT submitting may be the same *shrug*

Submit [ONCE] and forget! (Or forget to submit ;) )

Qryztufre, Mar 10, 2009 IP
  2. Sparaker

Sparaker Peon

Best Answers:
    Has anyone of you submitted a lyrics website to DMOZ ? if yes, did you got accepted ? how long did it took you to get accepted ?

Sparaker, Mar 14, 2009 IP
  3. makrhod

makrhod Peon

Best Answers:
    There are almost 500 sites in http://www.dmoz.org/Arts/Music/Lyrics/ , all of them added by volunteer editors. :)

We appreciate your suggestion of another one, and an editor will no doubt review it at some stage. There are no time frames involved. :)

makrhod, Mar 14, 2009 IP
  4. Jin

Jin Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I had completely forgotten to reply to this thread, i guess i did a resubmission like 50 days ago, not sure (bad memory ) and last week i saw my url in its respective category, too bad they did not use my suggested anchor text, however, i am still happy that it got listed. Jan 11th 2009 is the day when i first submitted it and you can say it got accepted by last week of September, so you can say it almost took about 8 months. I have experiences where my submissions got accepted in less than a month tho ( not my own urls )

Jin, Oct 4, 2009 IP
  5. templates

templates Notable Member

Best Answers:
    well,congrats on the acceptance..takes time and patience i guess

templates, Oct 4, 2009 IP
  6. Jin

Jin Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Yea it got accepted when i needed it most, i expect to see a slight increase in serps and traffic :D

Jin, Oct 4, 2009 IP
  7. Going Green

Going Green Active Member

Best Answers:
    And the countdown continues to a DMOZ listing

Going Green, Oct 4, 2009 IP
  8. Anonymously

Anonymously Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Sorry, Jin said that the site was listed, I wouldn't put any store on the time it took, others can take days or years.

Anonymously, Oct 5, 2009 IP
  9. Qryztufre

Best Answers:
    Be sure to keep us updated on that... In fact, I would LOVE to see how much traffic you can pull in from the ODP, as most sources say that they get one maybe three hits in a year. As for SERP, do ya really think that you'll get a boost based on duplicate content links?

Qryztufre, Oct 5, 2009 IP
  10. Jin

Jin Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I do not expect traffic from the directory it self, but i expect to see rise in serps, which shall eventually result in more traffic. I have couple of other listings for other sites and after getting into dmoz they rose in serps a bit. As far as duplication is concerned, i am sure google doesn't bother as much as we assume it does.

Jin, Oct 5, 2009 IP
  11. Qryztufre

Best Answers:
    Well, in three months when your backlinks are updated, count the ones coming from DMOZ clones... you should find that your site is listed on dozens of sites yet one maybe two show up in your actual backlink listings (that count).

Also check out the buzz a while back about how much directories are actually doing for sites... Google has spoken, and they haven't spoken nicely about the topic of directories in general.

Is it worth it to submit? Sure it is... but as for any perks you'll get, don't hold your breath. For each good point there is about having an ODP listing, there seemingly is an equal negative quality to negate it.

Multiple site listings through ODP clones = Duplicate content
    Time it takes to submit = Time it takes for listing (if it even happens)
    Page rank of listed category = Duplicate content (again)
    Domain age of DMOZ = Slowness of updates means a slowness of indexing
    and the list goes on = and on and on

But again, if it's worth it to you to submit to free directories, submitting to the ODP certainly will NOT hurt!

And as I have not said it yet, congrats on the listing! I'm done trying to break your hopes and dreams now ;) I'm sure that your listing WILL help a little...

12. Anonymously

Best Answers:
    Said by someone who screamed when his site went down and was delisted. LOL

13. Jin

Jin Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Lol at little, trust me if you have your choice of anchor in dmoz, it does help you jump up in the serps, i have about 3 sites listed in dmoz and i have seen the rise in ranks.

Jin, Oct 5, 2009 IP
    Anonymously likes this.
  14. Qryztufre

Best Answers:
    Its sad to think that all you have done is get a DMOZ listing, as I'm sure your other promotional techniques didn't help out at all ;)

15. Jin

Jin Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    That would be quite an assumption, as i am having in excess of 10,000 uniques a day.

Jin, Oct 5, 2009 IP
    Qryztufre likes this.
  16. Qryztufre

Best Answers:
    Said by someone claiming to be an editor. LOL.

But honestly, you really want to go in that direction? A site down for 15 minutes and removed for being in 404 status by an editor that never in the past touched the category and simply removed it because of a discussion here on Digital Point? Yes, yes... lets once again go in that direction, I'd LOVE to go into details about it yet another timeâ„¢ now that you brought it up!

Oh, sorry... I must have mistaken what you said earlier. It's good to know you've done more then submit to the ODP ;)

17. Jin

Jin Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Hmm, who are you referring to here :confused:

Jin, Oct 5, 2009 IP
  18. Qryztufre

Best Answers:
    She is talking about me. I had an ODP listing that got removed by an editor that posts here on DP. It was removed according to the editor because the site was in 404 status, but my tech support people of my host say that the site should never of been in 404... internal sever errors were certainly happening, but that's NOT a 404. *shrug* The site was down for around 15 minutes. If you'd like I can dig up the old thread for ya ;)

The editors here like to bring up the fact I let the world know why my site was delisted and the fact that I added it myself while an editor...what they don't like to discuss is the fact my site was removed for reason_A when in fact it fell under reason_B and that adding my own site was WELL within the guidelines they claim to hold so dear....all the while taking turns getting banned from Digital Point for breaking rules here.

19. Anonymously

Best Answers:
    You like to make a mountain out of a molehill, Q. Your site was delisted because when it was viewed by an editor it did not return, for whatever reason, as such the editor acted quite correctly and delisted it.

But you sure did squeal about it being delisted, especially the way you tell people to forget to submit. Don't forget to add that you added about 5 sites and one was your own.

20. caprichoso

caprichoso Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    And what's the problem with that? In the first place DMOZ editors and you (we can't be sure
    whether you are an editor) have said many times here "editors can list their own sites if, they consider, are worth to list". On the other hand, most DMOZ editors apply for listing their own sites or sites owned by people related to them. Related includes commercial relationship.

Once more, this is what we get when we read DMOZ editors excuses. You make so many excuses that it's impossible to you not to contradict yourselves. What is right and what is wrong to do in DMOZ depends on editors interests.

caprichoso, Oct 8, 2009 IP