1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Submitted on 01/11/09 Count down begins

Discussion in 'ODP / DMOZ' started by Jin, Jan 11, 2009.

1. syted

syted Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Classic :)

speal
    The repetition of a joke, 'call' or story just made or told, without knowledge of this, while others around are aware of its repetition, usually resulting in the slandering of the offender

syted, Jan 11, 2009 IP
  2. Anonymously

Anonymously Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Two things
    1. Many editors will not respond to emails sent to them about a site. We do not do site checks anyway. If an editor emails me I will respond nicely. Will it make me look at their site any quicker? Never. It waits in the queue like all others.
    2. It is not correct to talk about a category that does not have an editor. All categories have dozens of editors. Some editors can edit everywhere and some of them have few categories with their name on them. Any editor can edit lower down the tree from the level they are named. So whom do you see as the category editor?

Finally, the advice often given here is good. Submit and forget, go and promote your site elsewhere, there is nothing else you can do to promote it with ODP, it will have to wait.

But like all rules this one has an exception too. Become an editor, you can list your own site and you can also help list other sites. There are plenty of threads on here giving good advice about what one has to do to become an editor.

Anonymously, Jan 11, 2009 IP
  3. joeventura

joeventura Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    So let me ask a question, if a category has no editor, yet the contents of the category has more than the prescribed "less than 100 entries for a new editor" and the person applying seems capable and filled out the form correctly/perfectly, do they get approved?

Another question, what is the downside to letting potential volunteers know where (categories) help is needed?

A smart person would take the ODP datadump for three months running and do an analysis and see which categories have had zero adds/moves or changes. Those would be the sections with no editor.

joeventura, Jan 11, 2009 IP
  4. joeventura

Best Answers:
    The actual term in comedy is a "call back"
    And it was executed well. :D

http://www.fripp.com/artcallback.html

joeventura, Jan 11, 2009 IP
  5. makrhod

makrhod Peon

Best Answers:
    Editors are all volunteers, so it is up to each person how much time they spend editing, and how they spend that time.
    Some editors do one or two edits every month, and those edits may not even involve looking at site suggestions of course. Other editors spend many hours a day on the directory, but again, they might not even look at site suggestions during that time. Another editor may decide to spend a whole evening reviewing suggestions, and then do no more editing for several weeks.
    It's a hobby, that's all, and there are many ways to build and improve the directory - looking at suggested sites is just one activity to choose from.

makrhod, Jan 11, 2009 IP
  6. makrhod

makrhod Peon

Best Answers:
    As already explained, there are no categories without editors, because about 200 of us can edit wherever we like. :)
    However, meta-editors are free to accept new editors for any category at all, regardless of size, and whether or not it already has an editor listed. The guideline about suitable size for a starting category is to help applicants choose. If someone fills out the application form carefully and honestly, and if they seem to demonstrate a good understanding of the goals of the directory, then they might be accepted to a larger-than-usual category, but as Anonymously has already explained, many years of experience have shown us that it is best to start small while learning how to edit, just like learning anything new. :)
    It would be completely pointless. Volunteers will only be interested in spending their time on the directory if it is in an area of interest to them. Trying to persuade someone to edit in a category of no interest to them, just because it "needs help" would be a waste of everyone's time.
    There are hundreds of thousands of categories which "need help", so it shouldn't be too difficult to find somewhere that you would like to spend some of your hobby time in. ;)

makrhod, Jan 11, 2009 IP
  7. Anonymously

Anonymously Notable Member

Best Answers:
    There is a thread in our forums which advertisers categories that need help to try and attract existing editors into areas they might not think about normally. Yes we do get some results from that but not by any manner of means as many as we would like and it carries a warning that because it needs help one should not assume it will be given automatically, it will be treated like any application to any category with the possibility of being turned down if the editor is deemed not yet ready for it. So trying to tempt new editors into say shopping, when they hate shopping or shopping sites is a bit pointless. Also as you have been told there can be more than one editor named for any category. It is also true that some of us are named for dozens of categories and venture little into some of them, it is frowned on but it happens. That just points up that having a named editor does not mean that suggested sites will be reviewed quickly.

Find a category (the size being the recommended one just helps to get accepted) that you are interested in, it is your hobby and interests that you are furthering not trying to get Q's down, though that might well be an effect of you becoming an editor.

Good luck.

Anonymously, Jan 12, 2009 IP
  8. Qryztufre

Qryztufre Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    So when someone submits an application to become an editor it would not matter whether that category has an editor listed or not? I mean, if dozens of editors are watching out for each category, then it's a wonder why there is a wait time at all...

Good and unique content should be enough of a promotion :p

?? Why do you keep going on about me listing my own site, when you give advice like this? Growing tired of razzing me about it and looking for new people to talk down too?

Qryztufre, Jan 12, 2009 IP
  9. makrhod

makrhod Peon

Best Answers:
    Absolutely correct. No editor "owns" a category, and it is not uncommon to have two or more editors listed at the bottom of a category. The fact that more than one person is interested in a topic and keen to build and improve the category is a good thing. :)

"Dozens" might sound like an exaggeration, but of course there are hundreds of editors who can edit in every category. The number of editors has absolutely nothing to do with "wait times", because no editor is obliged to review site suggestions.
    For example, there could be any number of editors collaborating on a joint project to build and improve a category, without any of them looking at the sites suggested by webmasters.

makrhod, Jan 12, 2009 IP
  10. giorgioarmani

giorgioarmani Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Very funny! I never thought about my sites getting inherited... Maybe I should change strategy!???

This is great news and shows there is hope for those that submit to DMOZ... I've personally not submitted a site in years (basically thinking its impossible)...

thanks caesar1!

giorgioarmani, Jan 12, 2009 IP
  11. joeventura

Best Answers:

Well then you have just a few months to go before your submission is reviewed!!

:D

joeventura, Jan 13, 2009 IP
  12. seohawaii

seohawaii Peon

Best Answers:
    you should start watching your log, you will notice if the editor will check your site as you will get a referrer link from dmoz.org. then thats a sign - not sure if accepted or denied. but its a good sign that they check. i wish you luck.

seohawaii, Jan 27, 2009 IP
  13. makrhod

makrhod Peon

Best Answers:
    I'm afraid you cannot make this assumption. There are many link checkers and other automated processes using the DMOZ servers, so a log entry does not even mean that the site was visited by a human, let alone that it was considered for listing.
    Besides, any volunteer might visit your site as they surf the internet, and they might decide that it should be listed, so your site could be added to the directory without any referrals from dmoz.org.

In other words, such referrals mean nothing either way.

makrhod, Jan 27, 2009 IP
  14. Ivan Bajlo

Ivan Bajlo Peon

Best Answers:
    Talk about waste of time, I barely ever check my logs, only when I get some big traffic spike which I got no idea from where it came from.

Instead of wasting time checking logs invest that time into adding content to your website and Google will reward you more then DMOZ can in thousand years. ;)

Ivan Bajlo, Jan 28, 2009 IP
  15. freebiefinder

freebiefinder Peon

Best Answers:
    hope you get reviewed wuickly and get added too

freebiefinder, Feb 22, 2009 IP
  16. trustnobodynever

trustnobodynever Peon

Best Answers:
    or you can build a crap spammy site , '' suggest it '' and move on :) with sure will be listed and you will be proud about it :D

trustnobodynever, Feb 22, 2009 IP
  17. Jin

Jin Well-Known Member

Best Answers:

Status report

Day Submitted: 11 jan 2009
    Days elapsed: 49
    Today's dat: 01 march 2009

Well, its still too early to see nay result.
    Note: i have been updating my site 3-4 times a week.

Jin, Mar 1, 2009 IP
  18. makrhod

makrhod Peon

Best Answers:
    As we have explained, there are no time frames involved, because reviewing suggestions is not a priority for volunteer editors. Watching the calendar is therefore rather pointless, but of course you are free to spend your time as you wish, just as editors are. ;)
    Your frequent updates will make absolutely no difference to when your site might be reviewed by an editor, but they are probably a far more useful activity, in terms of providing more benefit to your users. :)

makrhod, Mar 1, 2009 IP
  19. gu3ssWHAT

gu3ssWHAT Banned

Best Answers:
    With the corruption and dictatorial way how ODP promote their listing service , and the way how you guy's choose to '' share the love '' it's hard to believe someone really care about this damn it crap spam link directory . This is only bullshits about keeping an official advertising campaign ! Just with the reason to keep public interest about the directory alive , to increase the revenue generated for peoples with you colaborate ( for example mods from this forum ) ...

Peoples who are editors or catedit or editall or senior editors control the mods from this forum or they are mods on this forum and allways have care to clean half of the dirty which come out from the practices of the DMOZ directory ! THIS ARE ONLY LYIES WHICH THEY CLAIMING AND ALL THIS POSTS WHICH THEY MADE ARE JUST TO KEEP THE INTEREST OF THE CODERS / WEBMASTERS AND SO ON ALIVE ABOUT THE SPAM DIRECTORY TO KEEP THEIR REVENUE STREAM .

gu3ssWHAT, Mar 3, 2009 IP
  20. ILoveDMOZ

ILoveDMOZ Banned

Best Answers:
    If the category editor has a lot of submissions it may take sometime for them to get to yours. Remember: they are volunteers who do this when they are not working or sleeping generally on the weekends.

Patience is a Virtue!

ILoveDMOZ, Mar 7, 2009 IP