1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Submit to 1000 diretories... or not?

Discussion in 'Solicitations & Announcements' started by Nicky21, Nov 22, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
    I do believe that this kind of post pops up once in a while, so now it's my turn to bring up (again) this problem.

Is it worthy to use submission services or not?

Before you start giving me the answer, read on!

I know that there is a myth: "having your link on link farms or on certain pages will hurt you in search engines". I can't possibly believe that! Then everybody would submit the competitor's sites to link farms just to hurt them!

However, does anybody has an actual clue if having your link in a million link farms will hurt you?

Another issue is that directories don't like automatic submitters. I can agree with that, but i do believe that i'd rather be banned from a coupe of directories than work like crazy 2 weeks to submit my site to every directory i can find and not even be sure I submitted to all of them....

Does anybody have any experience on using these kind of services? I'm tired of hunting for links and I would really pay $50 to some submission service if that gets me just 20 more links!

Anybody?

Nicky21, Nov 22, 2004 IP
    infonote likes this.
  2. digitalpoint

digitalpoint Overlord of no one Staff

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    Uhm... waste of time. :)

digitalpoint, Nov 22, 2004 IP
  3. Nicky21

Nicky21 Guest

Best Answers:
    Crap. Back to manualy submitting.

Oh, joy........

Nicky21, Nov 22, 2004 IP
  4. Blogmaster

Blogmaster Blood Type Dating Affiliate Manager

Best Answers:
    nothing good comes ever easy ... well sometimes but you have to look for it :)

Blogmaster, Nov 22, 2004 IP
  5. Mia

Mia R.I.P. STEVE JOBS

Best Answers:
    I've used Addme with some success. It is cheap, and has some nice tools to check links, meta tags, and give you a grading on things that you might want to change on your site.

Mia, Nov 22, 2004 IP
  6. melfan

melfan Peon

Best Answers:
    It is always a good practice to submit your site ony related directories only. Submitting it to non-related is useless.

melfan, Nov 22, 2004 IP
  7. DarrenC

DarrenC Peon

Best Answers:
    FFA links = tons of spam emails

Don't waste your time.

There's a few lists around of free and paid directories - doesn't take long to get through the good ones.

DarrenC, Nov 22, 2004 IP
  8. ResaleBroker

ResaleBroker Active Member

Best Answers:
    It is my understanding that "YOU" linking to a link farm is the problem not a link farm linking to you.

ResaleBroker, Nov 22, 2004 IP
  9. Blogmaster

Blogmaster Blood Type Dating Affiliate Manager

Best Answers:
    I remember the old days when one of my pc's was constantly running and submitting to ffa's - and it worked ;)

Blogmaster, Nov 22, 2004 IP
  10. john_loch

john_loch Rodent Slayer

Best Answers:
    IBL's from off theme don't hurt, but they don't appear to have anywhere near as much benefit as on-theme IBL's. It's simple G logic.. the more short cut's you take, the more work you have to do. The notion that inbounds can't hurt your site though, exclusively because it could be abused, is a laugh. That G isn't above self interest is rediculous. If it leads to, or is a byproduct of (in their opinion) more relevant results, G will do it without hesitation. They've screwed WM's before on this basis, and it's common knowledge.

Outbounds to off theme *will* (IMHO) dilute your site's relevance.

In simple terms, you don't need that many links. Just a few hundred will do.
    If they're all closely related (and themselves have a high percentile of related to unrelated inbounds/internals/outbounds), you'll move through the serps pretty quick.

The underlying issue whenever I read about linkage acquisition, is always, how do I do it in a time saving, but effective/relevant manner. And how do I assess the benefits of linking with a particular site or group.

The only way it will happen is if the linkage prospects are readily identified for you (by Thematic Strength/SERPS/PR etc) and a process is made available that allows you to quickly and efficiently deploy links pages, and request reciprocation from the respective WM's..

But then everyone wants money for it. Which makes sense - just one link can mean statistical analysis of thousands if you really want a current, clear picture.

Unfortunately, the old days are gone. Just knowing the PR of a site isn't enough any more, let alone the scattergun approach.

If only someone would invent a scale of thematic relevance, kinda what PR is to 'voting', or SERPS is to traffic, that would be nice :)

Cheers,

JL

john_loch, Nov 22, 2004 IP
  11. expat

expat Stranger from a far land

Best Answers:
    gain you own experience but here are some tips to make it painless

all directories that are of any value now simply don't accept autosubission, all have a generated code which you have to enter manually.

If you submit to the unknown use your domains ability to have unlimited e-mails.
    I always put the site name in th e-mail address I give out
    e.g. submit to site01 email is site01 at mydomain.
    Thus if I start receiving sp ^ m on this address I simply blackhole it.

If you wish to pay make sure you get something in return
    Always check the result pages for java and other re-directs, it's also helpfull to do a quick check on robots.txt. It is only of value if it is a straight forward link.
    Same goes for LE's why would you link to a site that obviously doesn't want to return the favour?

Best of luck
    M

expat, Nov 23, 2004 IP
  12. h2tdc

h2tdc Peon

Best Answers:
    Agree with wwhhomes. If you are going to submit to FFA links, do so using a "throw-away" email. You sure get a lot of spam emails if you don't.

h2tdc, Nov 30, 2004 IP
  13. stephaneggy

stephaneggy Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Its a huge waste of time, just submit to the mayor ones works for me

stephaneggy, Dec 8, 2004 IP
  14. SeoPro2005

SeoPro2005 Peon

Best Answers:
    Ill rather go to DMOZ and submit my own site!

SeoPro2005, Dec 13, 2004 IP
  15. Nicky21

Nicky21 Guest

Best Answers:
    Already in domz. I was interested in more additional links.....

Seems to me that everybody in here thinks that it's a waste of time....

Nicky21, Dec 14, 2004 IP
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.