1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Subdomains vs Distinct URLs for best SEO results?

Discussion in 'Search Engine Optimization' started by debare, Apr 5, 2005.

?

Subdomains vs Domains - Which is Better?

Poll closed May 20, 2005.
  1. Use a subdomain for best results

75.0%
  2. Create a new domain for best results

12.5%
  3. Use both for best results

12.5%
    I'm wondering if it's better to add substantial content (several hundred pages) to a website via a new subdomain or simply create a new distinct URL? I'm debating going one way or the other but don't really know if one is much better than the other.

The advantage of a subdomain appears to be 'bulking up' an existing website with relevant content with a potentially distinct look and feel. There are no issues about cross-linking since the content is technically within the original website.

The downside appears to be the submission process. Most search engines only accept the main url and will not allow for a subdomain submission. So a subdomain is completely dependent on the search engines finding it through the main website (which is probably just fine).

On the other hand creating a new URL allows for easier submission to search engines, but you are effectively starting over with the process of building links, ranking, etc.

Before I go any farther, your thoughts, comments and experiences choosing either method would be appreciated.

Enquiring minds ...

db

debare, Apr 5, 2005 IP
  2. Blogmaster

Blogmaster Blood Type Dating Affiliate Manager

Best Answers:
    how long has your domain name been indexed and how is it's overall performance in Google?

Blogmaster, Apr 5, 2005 IP
  3. debare

debare Peon

Best Answers:
    The core domain has been around since Dec. 2002 and is number #1-#10 for a wide range of high traffic keyphrases in its category. At this point, we are simply trying to assess the long-term vs short-term benefits of each strategy.

Basically, when does it make more sense to use a subdomain versus when it makes more 'cents' to use a new core domain?

debare, Apr 6, 2005 IP
  4. Blogmaster

Best Answers:
    Use a subdomain and you will rank quickly for your new site :cool:

Blogmaster, Apr 6, 2005 IP
  5. sadcox66

sadcox66 Spirit Walker

Best Answers:
    This is certainly not true for the sites I have built, submitted and ranked high

sadcox66, Apr 6, 2005 IP
  6. miko67

miko67 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    hrmm subdomains are a lot cheaper in the long run.

That is for sure.

miko67, Apr 6, 2005 IP
  7. roadies

roadies Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    most search engines treat subdomains as their own domain. You'll still need full internal links structure pointing to the new subdomain so the engines find and crawl the domain. But you keep your branding efforts and consistency for the user.

Cheaper (as miko said) and one less domain to worry about renewing each year (I recently lost about 1/3 of my rankings for one of my sites when the domain expired and I didn't notice until 5 days later).

roadies, Apr 6, 2005 IP
  8. Blogmaster

Best Answers:
    The votes are in and its subdomains

Blogmaster, Apr 6, 2005 IP