1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Styleguides and Content Re-Use - Whats the go?

Discussion in 'Copywriting' started by Boss_Numbat, Sep 30, 2006.

I am just wondering who uses 'styleguides' as part of the process of creating a written document, article, newsletter, editorial or sales copy - etc. I have found serveral deccent resources, such as the Associated Press Style Guide and Libel Handbook.

For the $20.00 (USD) outlay I have found the online subscrition to 2006 edition of the AP Stylebook and Briefing on Media Law to be invalueable tool - http://www.apstylebook.com/

Especially when creating a styleguide for outsource writers to reference when undertaking writing asignments (projects).

Which brings me to 'Content Re-Use', anyone using specific formulas when creating written content, in fairly easy terms - an technical article, that is then broken into editorial (online and print), synopsis and ectracts for use in email and newsletter (print and online) etc, etc.

Just curious as to the process folks are utilizing to create unique and original content.

Boss_Numbat, Sep 30, 2006 IP
  2. marketjunction

marketjunction Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    The best thing I learned was in my first journalism class in college (News Reporting & Writing). What was it? The inverted pyramid. It's an easy formula to apply when you are looking to pound out your basic content.

It's just like it sounds really. The content runs from most important to least important.

The AP Style book is a must have. A popular style with non-journalists is Chicago. For academia, MLA rules the day.

Here's an example of using the inverted pyramid.

A Nevada man was shot during an attempted robbery at the Holiday Inn, 123 Main St., on Sunday.

Daniel Boone, 35, 185 Bee Lane, Reno, Nev., was a guest of the hotel.

The Holiday Inn has been robbed six times this year, said Holiday Inn Manager Ben Smith.

Anyway, it's 7 a.m. and I'm still waking up. That should give you an idea.

marketjunction, Oct 3, 2006 IP
  3. Boss_Numbat

Boss_Numbat Active Member

Best Answers:
    Hey MarketJunction

Thanks nice example and agree with you on chicago style manual and AP stylebook - both great resources.

Once again - thanks.

Boss_Numbat, Oct 5, 2006 IP