1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

stupid sitemap question

Discussion in 'Google Sitemaps' started by klown, Jun 19, 2006.

for google sitemaps should you enter every single url within your site, IE

Do i just put this url?

www.mypage.com/glossary.php

or should i include?

www.mypage.com/glossary.php?letter=A
    www.mypage.com/glossary.php?letter=B
    www.mypage.com/glossary.php?letter=C

klown, Jun 19, 2006 IP
  2. MaxPowers

MaxPowers Peon

Best Answers:
    If it is truly a new page, then it should be included on your sitemap. The thing that I wouldn't suggest using in a URL on a sitemap is the hash symbol # because it references an arbitrary point on an existing page. If the hash is used, chances are that the page with all of it's content is already loaded (or will be) and that could trigger dupe content filters.

MaxPowers, Jun 19, 2006 IP
  3. klown

klown Peon

Best Answers:
    Each page would be displaying a different glossary entry, and, have a different title, and heading. However the page is still glossary.php

klown, Jun 19, 2006 IP
  4. MaxPowers

MaxPowers Peon

Best Answers:
    The best answer for this may be a URL Rewrite. Mod_rewrite for apache will allow you to keep your files the same while changing your URLs to
    glossary-A.html
    glossary-B.html
    etc...
    which even appear as different pages altogether. I use this on nearly every site that I create/optimize.

At any rate, if the page content is different (title and heading are bonuses, but don't make for unique content on their own), then you really should enter each one in your sitemap... make your content known, klown!

I, personally, make the assumption that any URL with a hash ( # ) is basically the same content as that same page without a #, but I treat each page with a query string as potentially different. (I'm NOT EVEN getting into session ID's with this post, but those get removed from the URL anyway). This assumption has always proved correct (so far in the last 7 years for me).

MaxPowers, Jun 20, 2006 IP
  5. klown

klown Peon

Best Answers:
    Thanks for the very informative reply!

klown, Jun 20, 2006 IP