1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Stupid Domain Name Dashes...

Discussion in 'Search Engine Optimization' started by ViciousSummer, Jul 13, 2004.

1. compar

compar Peon

Best Answers:
    I offered to exchange thongs. :)

compar, Jul 14, 2004 IP
  2. ViciousSummer

ViciousSummer Ayn Rand for President! Staff

Best Answers:
    When I reread my posts it does appear that I am playing a bit of the devils advocate, but I am in no way "railing" against SEO. Why the hell would I be here learning about it? There is always more then one view, and I'm the type of person that looks at both. I think that you should try to open your mind to more then just your opinion Bob.

This is correct, but there are many seo's that optimize for other reasons.

I wouldn't go so far as to say that optimization is a public service & I never said it was sleazy to optimize a website. I do it everyday. Take for example the anchor text craze. I get daily requests for link exchanges on my lingerie site. I'd say 25% - 35% of those request the anchor text "Sexy Lingerie". Would that be a public service to my customers to have 20 "Sexy Lingerie" links to different sites? No. Look at a real world perspective...What if every eatery was named "Good Food"?
    :rolleyes:

ViciousSummer, Jul 14, 2004 IP
  3. ViciousSummer

Best Answers:
    After looking at these sites, this is what I found:

12 different types of meta-tags, poor optimization, but old-school optimization, nontheless (in my opinion)

Come on, this is what is across the top & bottom: "Online shopping mall for woman's sexy clothing, Shopping for women's sexy clothes, clothing lady sexy, plus size sexy club wear, sexy dress, sexy fashion, sexy pants, sexy wear, sexy clothes for girls, sexy apparel, sexy swimsuits, sexy prom dresses, sexy hot pants, sexy leather pants, sexy wedding dresses, sexy evening dresses, sexy maternity clothes, sexy swim wear, sexy wedding dress, sexy evening wear, girls in sexy clothes, fashion sexy, sexy formal dresses, sexy mini dresses, leather lingerie, swimsuits, high heels, seductive lingerie, swim wear, sexy dress shoes, intimate apparel, sexy lingerie and plus size sexy wear fashion catalog. Selective collections of clubwear, halter top, hot sexy fashions, sexy prom dress, men's thongs, exotic clothing and sexy high heel shoes. Store with leather clothing, lady dressy dress, vinyl pants and latex costumes, see through mini dresses, woman’s sexy leather pants, bikini swimsuit, sexy wedding gown and maternity dress. UK Shop for exotic lingerie, cheap discount formal gown on sale, cool teen sexy summer dress, sexy evening wear, adult male and female dancer dancewear suitable for stripper, club wear and party wear."

Links page solicited link exchanges & models have painful-looking boob jobs ;)

This one isn't optimized.

This is a mirror site and this is what you find at the bottom if you view the source: "<A HREF="http://www.ktek.com">web design</A>
    <A HREF="http://www.mens-swimwear.net">mens swimwear</A>
    <A HREF="1.asp">discount swimwear</A>
    <A HREF="2.asp">discount swimwear</A>
    <A HREF="a.asp">discount swimwear</A>
    <A HREF="b.asp">discount bathing suits</A>
    <A HREF="c.asp">cheap swimwear</A>
    <A HREF="d.asp">cheap swimwear</A>
    <A HREF="e.asp">cheap swimwear</A>
    <A HREF="f.asp">cheap swimwear</A>
    <A HREF="g.asp">cheap swimwear</A>
    <A HREF="h.asp">cheap swimwear</A>
    <A HREF="i.asp">cheap swimwear</A>
    <A HREF="j.asp">cheap swimwear</A>
    <A HREF="k.asp">cheap swimwear</A>
    <A HREF="l.asp">cheap swimwear</A>
    <A HREF="m.asp">cheap swimwear</A>
    <A HREF="n.asp">cheap swimwear</A>
    <A HREF="o.asp">cheap swimwear</A>
    <A HREF="p.asp">cheap swimwear</A>
    <A HREF="q.asp">cheap swimwear</A>
    <A HREF="r.asp">cheap swimwear</A>
    <A HREF="s.asp">cheap swimwear</A>
    <A HREF="t.asp">cheap swimwear</A>
    <A HREF="u.asp">cheap swimwear</A>
    <A HREF="v.asp">cheap swimwear</A>
    <A HREF="w.asp">cheap swimwear</A>
    <A HREF="x.asp">cheap swimwear</A>
    <A HREF="y.asp">cheap swimwear</A>
    <A HREF="z.asp">cheap swimwear</A>"

This site is a non-profit org & isn't really optimized, but the company that made this site has this to say:

"As those with a proven track record will tell you, promoting your site by submitting it to search engines is important. Key words and phrases (known as "meta tags") should be chosen carefully before your site is submitted to the more popular search engines.

We will help you come up with an effective list of key words and key phrases and decide which search engines are most appropriate, to help drive visitors to your Web site...."

That might of sounded good to me before I new how deep SEO really is :D.

"The mark of the devil" who said this? Again, you're totally putting words in my mouth & that is the entire reason I told anthonycea to f*ck off. But, since you do have so much good info to offer and I often agree with you, I think we are just going to have to agree to disagree on this one, Compar.

p.s. I'm still looking for your 40" thong but you have to promise to make it your avatar...;)

4. compar

compar Peon

Best Answers:
    Sure, are you going to take the photos? :)

Back to the issue. I don't think you can deny that having asked the question about hypenated domain names you then did a pretty good job of arguing against them. It would have been hard for anybody, less aggressive than me, to have recommended them to you because of what I perceived as your vehemence against them.

Then your prime knock against them seemed to be that they only turn up on well optimized sites. How can that possibly be understood to be anything less than a derogatory comment about optimized sites?

Of course I got upset, because I use hypenated domain names, and I do optimization for a living. So I don't take kindly to anyone making derogatory generalization about my profession. Particularly when it is in a forum that enjoys a great deal of its success from the discussion of the subject. To me your remarks were tantamount to eating your young.

compar, Jul 14, 2004 IP
  5. ViciousSummer

Best Answers:
    next time your in SD, blademaster...

I totally agree. Like I said before I can be a bit of a devil's advocate. Actually, I was open to the idea of purchasing a hyphenated domain (which I have decided against), I just didn't received a strong enough "pro-hyphenated domain" argument to sway my personal dislike of them. And, the reason I dislike them has more to do with the way I market (a lot of offline marketing & word of mouth), rather then over-SEOed hyphenated domains. But, I can tell you, from a consumer point of view (I do 99% of my shopping online) I have run into some lame hyphenated domains that have nothing to do with what I'm looking for.

I still believe this. But, that just comes from my personal experiance. Shouldn't that be thought of as a compliment though? Basically that statement translates to: hyphenated domains = well optimized site. Being an SEO expert, you want your domains to be thought of as well optimized, right? Unfortunately, there are people out there that optimize for the wrong reasons, but I'm definately not saying that *everyone* with a hyphenated domain is doing that. I simply stated that for the most part, people that would buy a hyphenated domain name know about SEO, which is why you are going to see alot of hyphenated domain names high in the serps for competitive KW's.

I'm sorry that I ruffled your feathers, but I assure you that I have nothing against SEO (hey, it helps to pay my bills!) & I definately don't want to eat your young...even as tasty as that cute kid in your profile pic looks ;).

6. compar

compar Peon

Best Answers:
    That's my Grandson Aryton. He is six years old now and even better looking. His father told him about three years ago when everyone was ready to leave, to tell me "Grandpa, Dad says that you should get off that DAMN Computer". He still remembers this and repeats it every chance he gets.

In any case, lets kiss and make up, as someone suggested. We'll find lots of things to argue about in the future. We can put this one down as a missunderstanding. Two people, both with strong opinions. It happens this way sometimes. :cool:

compar, Jul 14, 2004 IP
  7. web-inspect.com

web-inspect.com Peon

Best Answers:
    I'll take one Vicious. hehe

web-inspect.com, Jul 15, 2004 IP
  8. ViciousSummer

Best Answers:
    I've been caught checking my email in the middle of a raging party ( numerous times :rolleyes: ).

Agreed. Simply a misunderstanding :D

ViciousSummer, Jul 15, 2004 IP
  9. schlottke

schlottke Peon

Best Answers:
    Im gonna have to get in an arguement with Summer so we can kiss and make up.. haha.

schlottke, Jul 15, 2004 IP
  10. compar

compar Peon

Best Answers:
    Damn, you've discovered my secret. I hate hyphenated domains. I just wanted to start a fight so that we could kiss and make up. What I'd really prefer to do is kiss and make out, but I'd never admit that in public. :)

On that subject there is a fascinating community, or forum, on Orkut whose entire subject matter is "frenching". Fascinating! Vicious, you should join and we could compare notes.

compar, Jul 15, 2004 IP
  11. web-inspect.com

web-inspect.com Peon

Best Answers:
    Instead of beating each other up, why not discuss why or why not hyphenated domains work or don't work? Most of us already know the answer to this so let us just share our knowledge instead of fighting over it. ;)

web-inspect.com, Jul 15, 2004 IP
  12. DarrenC

DarrenC Peon

Best Answers:
    Agrees! Stop getting your thong in a twist compar :D

To put my two pence worth in.. it doesnt matter if the domain is hyphenated or not, Google still treats them the same. I used hyphenated names simply because I think it's easier for the user to identify the page - rather than doing this for SEO, i.e.

www.myURL.com/late-deals.html

In Google this URL does not make a great impact on the serps but in Yahoo it appears to have more of an impact.

Darren :p

DarrenC, Jul 16, 2004 IP