1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Stumped writing a web site description

Discussion in 'Directories' started by Will.Spencer, Mar 26, 2005.

I've set aside a large portion of this weekend to do directory submissions.

I am having a problem with one of my web sites. I just can't seem to come up with a decent description for The Tech FAQ.

As you can see, the problem extends to the main page of the site, which is almost empty.

How would you describe this site to a web directory?

Will.Spencer, Mar 26, 2005 IP
  2. dct

dct Finder of cool gadgets

Best Answers:
    Most of this was taken off the site but why not:

Comprehensive FAQs about computers, wired and wireless networks, storage, telephones, mobile telephones, radio and television, cryptology, smart cards, and a whole lot more.

dct, Mar 26, 2005 IP
  3. larysmith711

larysmith711 Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I like most of it......

Maybe just get rid of the "whole lot more" part. :)

larysmith711, Mar 26, 2005 IP
  4. ziandra

ziandra Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Wow.

I spent about 20 minutes rumaging around that site, looking at what it offered and what it said.

My first impression was "Jezabus, this sure is some blokes attempt at splashing google ads at everyone".

I then viewed all the links under VOIP and Telephony, fields I am considered an expert, and I concluded. Jezabus, this sure is some blokes attempt at splashing google ads at everyone.

If this is your site, I commend you for tracking down and clipping the revelant portions of the various standards. The one thing I would suggest is that you add the term "in most parts of modern america" to all your discussion of audible call progress tones. 20 years of certifying telephony equipment various places in the world taught me that what passes for a ringback tone in one country is identical to a busy tone in another. There is no globaly acceptable set of call progress tones. Heck, even the 5e vs the ess switches throw different tones and they are made by the same american switch mfg.

We all understand that content is king, but it is really necessary to have a full length column of ads along the left side as well as a banner across the top for material copied out of public standards? I do realize that it takes quite a bit of understanding of the field to clip the revelant portions that is there and that there are few of us experts in the field to recognize the clip, but still... The site would be better off if it found a better ballance between advertizing and content.

So, if I don my DMOZ editors hat, I would leave it unreviewed. I could not reject it since there was clearly a lot of work involved compiling the data. I could not add it to the directory since the compiler did not have expertese in the field.

It is a tough call.

ziandra, Mar 28, 2005 IP
  5. macdesign

macdesign Peon

Best Answers:
    macdesign, Mar 28, 2005 IP
  6. Will.Spencer

Will.Spencer NetBuilder

Best Answers:
    macdesign:

Corky.net has mirrored the FAQ for many years.

The FAQ was available via FTP for a long time before it ever became an HTML document.

Mirroring was a common practice in the early days of the Internet, and this mirroring agreement dates from that time.

Google, of course, has other ideas about mirroring.

Will.Spencer, Mar 29, 2005 IP
  7. Will.Spencer

Will.Spencer NetBuilder

Best Answers:
    ziandra:

Your insipid comments have once again confirmed my view of DMOZ editors as entirely ignorant and completely devoid of any amount of sense or reason.

Thank you so much for posting that completely irrelevant, incorrect, and insulting rant while refocusing the discussion on your supposed "expertise".

Your expertise clearly does not involve reading. It also does not appear to include common social graces or basic communication.

Trying as hard as I can, I cannot find a single useful point or positive value in your post.

Please feel free never to respond to a post from me again.

Will.Spencer, Mar 29, 2005 IP
  8. macdesign

macdesign Peon

Best Answers:
    I don't remember exactly what I did - but http://corky.net/drupal/ appeared - and I know I did not type in drupal - that's why I asked.

macdesign, Mar 30, 2005 IP
  9. Will.Spencer

Will.Spencer NetBuilder

Best Answers:
    macdesign:

I'm sorry. I have no idea. That's a completely unrelated page on a web site which I do not manage.

Heck, it's not even in English. :)

Will.Spencer, Mar 30, 2005 IP