1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Stumbleupon.com trafick, is it clean?

Discussion in 'Guidelines / Compliance' started by cahaya, Jul 19, 2006.

1. Phynder

Phynder Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    The premise is to make money - sorry if you can't take it at face value. If it is so troubling, I would suggest you block referrals from SU.

Phynder, Aug 1, 2006 IP
  2. homeofficeblues

homeofficeblues Peon

Best Answers:
    Don't get me wrong. I am a big fan of capitalism. I believe that people deserve to get paid for their work/service/efforts.

I was simply trying to add two things to the discussion:
    1. Earlier in this thread, someone that had been using stumbleupon for years didn't know that some of the sites they were seeing were paid placements. I was trying to show this was true. I can take things at face value. It just appears they are not showing that face to their users. (or perhaps the users don't care.)
    2. I was also trying to address the title of this thread: "Stumbleupon.com trafick, is it clean?" If some of the traffic is clean and some of it is paid, what does that mean to adsense publishers? Does that put this traffic in a gray area with Google? Is it a big enough source of traffic that adsense publishers should be concerned?

I certainly don't mind the exposure to Stumbleupon visitors. My sites don't make enough money from Adsense to be terribly concerned about the traffic quality. I am just trying to contribute to the discussion.

Cheers.

homeofficeblues, Aug 1, 2006 IP
  3. Phynder

Best Answers:
    Good point about AdSense. I don't see a gray area in regards to AdSense - I would say that SU is clearly against the AdSense TOS, so people should be concerned about it.

Yet another variable that the AdSense Publisher cannot control and Google could (if it so desired), but will not. It is much easier to place the responsibility (no matter how difficult) on the Publisher.

Excellent point that I had not thought about.

Phynder, Aug 1, 2006 IP
  4. Kyle H.

Kyle H. Active Member

Best Answers:
    They definately do not allow traffic from PTR sites or autosurf sites.

Kyle H., Aug 1, 2006 IP
  5. detonate

detonate Peon

Best Answers:
    Yes, you can have paid placement on StumbleUpon.

http://www.stumbleupon.com/ads/

I have done it before - got over a thousand visitors within half an hour but I didn't get any conversions. Some of them rate and review your site though.

detonate, Aug 1, 2006 IP
  6. projectw3

projectw3 Banned

Best Answers:
    Is any of those traffic targetted?

projectw3, Aug 1, 2006 IP
  7. detonate

detonate Peon

Best Answers:
    As far as I can recall, you can choose traffic within broad categories e.g. cars, electronics (I think people who use stumbleupon specify their interests when they set it up). The users are more looking for interesting websites than wanting to buy anything.

detonate, Aug 1, 2006 IP
  8. shamess

shamess Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    When I'm using StubleUpon (toolbar mostly), I barely spend more than a few seconds on the website whilst I think "am I interested in this site in the slightest..?", 9 out of 10 times, I just click to Stuble again. So in that respect, Google wouldn't be too happy.

shamess, Aug 1, 2006 IP
  9. Phynder

Best Answers:
    Exactly. Goodness knows I love Stumble, but the toolbar really puts it in danger of violating the AdSense TOS.

Phynder, Aug 1, 2006 IP