1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

StumbleUpon.com Lots of Hits - Little Effort

Discussion in 'General Marketing' started by Stin, Jul 23, 2006.

I've been using the stumbleupon.com toolbar for several months, and just recently I decided to see what would happen if I added one of my own sites as a favorite.

When I submitted my main page I got just a few visitors a week. I tried submitting individual pages (my site is a collection of photographs), it exploded. I submitted one photo yesterday and got about 100 hits. Last night I submitted another picture, and got atleast 150 hits. Now stumblers have started to add other pages from my site to their favorites.

My advice? Go sign up, download the toolbar, and add your most interesting articles/photos/games what have you to your list of favorite sites. SU.com will send a couple users your way, if ONE of them adds the page as a favorite you should get atleast a hundred hits.

You might need a steady stream of people adding your site as a favorite to keep the traffic coming. I'll have to see in the next few days.

I don't think this will work for commercial sites, but if you have interesting content this is a great way to get users to your pages.

Stin, Jul 23, 2006 IP
  2. Sleepy_Sentry

Sleepy_Sentry Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Stumble Upon traffic is just like Digg traffic, you'll get few ad clicks from it.

Sleepy_Sentry, Jul 23, 2006 IP
  3. mystikmedia

mystikmedia Jedi Master

Best Answers:
    How long did it take before you started to see traffic after adding it? I assume the more listings you add, the less traffic you get per listing?

mystikmedia, Jul 23, 2006 IP
  4. gotalkmoney

gotalkmoney Peon

Best Answers:
    I've also done this for one of my sites. It does work out really well. I did the same technique a few weeks ago and within hours, I was recieving hits. It's defintely worth trying it. I'm still getting a few hits a day as of today.

gotalkmoney, Jul 23, 2006 IP
  5. Sleepy_Sentry

Sleepy_Sentry Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Don't you guys get it?

Websites like Digg and Stumble Upon will give you visitors, but visitors that just look at a single page, click very few ads, and leave!

While the traffic helps, it's better to get targeted traffic, such as the traffic you get from search engines.

Sleepy_Sentry, Jul 23, 2006 IP
  6. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    Ad clicks may not be the ultimate goal - but I doubt any other sales are happening either.

Repeat visits matter too, and I doubt stumble visitors bookmark sites and return to them.

sarahk, Jul 23, 2006 IP
  7. blackbug

blackbug Peon

Best Answers:
    Do you have quantifiable proof of this?

I know from my experiments with social bookmarking back at the start of the year I'd get record adsense days and a TONNE of people commenting whatever I posted (read: free unique content) plus backlinks from people linking to you from their sites and blogs.

Then I moved house and got a new job and don't generally have the time these days (in case you wondering why I didn't continue).

blackbug, Jul 23, 2006 IP
  8. digigraph

digigraph Guest

Best Answers:
    I've seen my friend's browser with this, but didn't really gave much thought to it. I've give this a try.

digigraph, Jul 23, 2006 IP
  9. Stin

Stin Guest

Best Answers:
    They may not be big ad clickers, dunno, but I say any visitor is a good visitor. The hits have continued on my site. Another hundred hits? I am waiting for analytics to update to get a more accurate count. My stat software seems to show 30-50% more hits than google..

Even if they arent clicking much, I think they are fairly targetted. Maybe help your ROI and smartpricing? Probably depends on your site as well, try it and see how it works out.

Stin, Jul 23, 2006 IP
  10. euphers

euphers Peon

Best Answers:
    I would agree that any number of visitors you can get is good. Of course if your content isn't very good, then those visitors won't come back. However, if you have good, interesting content, then you may very well gain some consistent traffic.

It's worth a shot, I figure.

euphers, Jul 23, 2006 IP
  11. Muffin_man

Muffin_man Peon

Best Answers:
    Maybe you couuld get some email leads?

Muffin_man, Jul 23, 2006 IP
  12. cafinater

cafinater Peon

Best Answers:
    Several of my pages have been stumbled upon, and I'll get 500+ or 1000+ visitors for a few days, then it dies down then it rises again with another page. But the waves have never totally stopped...

All in all over 100,000 visitors from there. Since each stumbler has their own subdomain, I think each time they mention a site on their page, it ads up to another seperately counted link. Can anyone confirm or correct that? If that's true, it's a good bonus.

cafinater, Jul 23, 2006 IP
  13. nextebizguy

nextebizguy Peon

Best Answers:

There are more ways to "skin the cat". A good salesman knows that every person is a potential client/buyer. There are many other ways to monetize traffic besides clicking ads. :)

nextebizguy, Jul 23, 2006 IP
    aeiouy likes this.
  14. Black_Hand

Black_Hand Peon

Best Answers:
    its a good thing actually...once u hv visitors ...u can think of $$ not only from ads but other sources.

Black_Hand, Jul 23, 2006 IP
  15. 3dPrinting

3dPrinting Peon

Best Answers:
    I've been a Stumbler for many months now and have been quite impress with its system. I use for personal and business too. Lots of very interesting website that come stumbling out of the internet and I do mean interesting.

Here's an overview:

StumbleUpon, the addictive social browsing tool, has hit one million users. This is particularly surprising since StumbleUpon is Firefox only - it hasn’t yet reached out to the mainstream. Next week, that’s all going to change - they’re publicly releasing a version for Internet Explorer, which they hope will add millions more users to the service. This could create a virtuous circle: more sites in the database means more utility for the users - that leads to more signups and longer session times.

Despite being 4 years old, StumbleUpon was relatively unheard of until May this year, when they released a radically new version of the site and announced they had hit the 875,000 user mark. In January, the company relocated its four employees from Calgary to San Francisco. They also received an undisclosed amount of angel funding this year from Ram Shiram, Rajeev Motwani and Ron Conway - the sum is “in the millions”.

For those who haven’t used it, StumbleUpon is a browser extension that lets you browse sites in certain categories and rate them. The toolbar sits at the top of your browser window and you give each site a thumbs up or a thumbs down - StumbleUpon uses this data to help you discover more sites you’ll like. Think of it as Digg for browsing.

StumbleUpon is highly, highly addictive and I expect it to be hugely successful with mainstream users.

3dPrinting, Jul 23, 2006 IP
    Black_Hand likes this.
  16. mad4

mad4 Peon

Best Answers:
    Good tip about submitting the deep pages. I submitted the homepage on one site and got 26 visitors in a few hours.

mad4, Jul 24, 2006 IP
  17. infonote

infonote Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    This extension is one of the most popular for Firefox.

infonote, Jul 24, 2006 IP
  18. jhmattern

jhmattern Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    OK. I gave this a shot for my music webzine late yesterday afternoon. Checking yesterday's stats, it ended up providing 30% of the total hits for the day. Now given, Sunday is a pretty slow day for me, so it was only a few hundred pvs, but still pretty nice.

Jenn

jhmattern, Jul 24, 2006 IP
  19. ehdmi

ehdmi Peon

Best Answers:
    I also get a good bit of traffic, but the traffic is very NON-converting traffic....I may get a Google click here and there, but no sales what so ever...

ehdmi, Jul 24, 2006 IP
  20. jhmattern

jhmattern Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    That's funny, because my adsense clicks absolutely skyrocketed over where they were from using it. :p

I was making a few cents per day. Then I did some better ad integration, and it was like $4.40 or something that next day. Now I did this, and I woke up an hour ago to $5.45 already this morning. :) I'll stick with it.

Jenn

jhmattern, Jul 24, 2006 IP