1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Strikingly v.s Wordpress for a small business website

Discussion in 'Content Management' started by mandy.lee, Oct 31, 2013.

Got a small business client request a simple static home page for his real estate business. I usually used wordpress, but I saw a few friends using a site called Strikingly recently. It seems much easier for static sites. Any thoughts? Has anyone else tried Strikingly?

mandy.lee, Oct 31, 2013 IP
  2. Tarheel

Tarheel Member

Best Answers:
    Strikingly seems like a pretty nice service, but it looks like they will charge you monthly once you use a certain number of pages OR a certain number of visitors. I have never used it personally, but reviews for a simple static website like you are referring to seem to be pretty fair. I am a WordPress fan!

Tarheel, Oct 31, 2013 IP
  3. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    Who ever would build a site for one type of device?

Use wordpress, get a responsive theme and do it properly.

sarahk, Oct 31, 2013 IP
  4. Tarheel

Tarheel Member

Best Answers:
    I believe the Strikingly websites are responsive...but they seem limited to me.

Tarheel, Nov 1, 2013 IP
  5. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    Can you clarify that?
    Their website says they are just for mobile delivery which will mean they look crap on a regular screen and therefore you have to maintain a mobile site and a desktop site and that seems wasteful.

sarahk, Nov 1, 2013 IP
    ryan_uk likes this.
  6. samiroman

samiroman Peon

Best Answers:
    Hi this is my first post here you should use wordpress its the best fully controlled plus you have the ability to upgrade to to latest features also don't forget that every day new plugins are added up to it making easier and better you will aslo need to worry about SEO

samiroman, Nov 2, 2013 IP
  7. Tarheel

Tarheel Member

Best Answers:
    It doesn't say only for mobile, it says "Our responsive templates look great on any device, automatically."

https://www.strikingly.com/s/pricing - Pricing based of website size.

Tarheel, Nov 2, 2013 IP
  8. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    Maybe, but slapping you in the face on their homepage is

"GORGEOUS, MOBILE-OPTIMIZED SITES IN MINUTES."

As a buyer I want to know my site will be gorgeous on all devices and that statement made me think they were mobile only, so I turned off. My mistake, perhaps, but I won't be the only one.

sarahk, Nov 3, 2013 IP
  9. averyz

averyz Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Wordpress.

averyz, Nov 4, 2013 IP
  10. Tarheel

Tarheel Member

Best Answers:
    I agree. I would prefer WordPress over Strinkingly. I wasn't defending them in any way, just reading through their documentation.

Tarheel, Nov 4, 2013 IP
  11. Philbeng

Philbeng Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Why have the overhead and security issues of running a database, cms, php etc.. for a single static page site?

It just seems a bit mad to me, why not just grab a template and create the page as a static page? Less resources, less maintenance, less cost for hosting and you can sleep at night knowing that it is unlikely to be hacked!

If the client needs to be able to change the page then use one of the open source static page generators.

Philbeng, Nov 26, 2013 IP
  12. langau

langau Member

Best Answers:
    Strikingly is not used by most of the webmasters where as WordPress has been used by most of the webmasters, it will be easy for the person to handle a WordPress site but getting used to with Strikingly will take some time,
    So, WordPress would be my first choice

langau, Nov 26, 2013 IP
  13. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    Because they never are. What starts out as a single page suddenly needs an about us page, contact page, terms and conditions page...

sarahk, Nov 26, 2013 IP
    ryan_uk likes this.
  14. Philbeng

Philbeng Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I think we'll have to agree to disagree.

Personally I would never recommend that a client would use something like Wordpress on such a small site that was serving static content.
    I am not a wordpress hater but I don't think it is the right product for every job, unlike the majority of people on here it would seem. It has it's place and I have used it on many websites over the years since a few months after it's initial release along with other CMS systems and scripts when they were needed.

Philbeng, Nov 27, 2013 IP
    matt_62 likes this.
  15. Martin Ziegert

Martin Ziegert Peon

Best Answers:
    I stay away from the so called services offering cloud or hosted solutions, by default. Wordpress.com included. So, Wordpress is the way to go, there are some pretty nice salespage templates you can use.

Martin Ziegert, Dec 6, 2013 IP
  16. TIEro

TIEro Active Member

Best Answers:
    I'll add my vote to producing a single, static HTML page. There's really no need to install tens of megs of stuff, databases and goonies-only-know-what-else when they just want a page.

Of course, having said that... I would do the sneaky: I'd install WP on my own space, set everything up for the client's static front page, then take the source HTML and use that as their site (with appropriate modification). This way, I'd have the flexibility of adjusting it easily, the possibility of adding a lot more to it if required (i.e. just port the WP install over to their URL) and it would all look very smooth from their point of view regarding flexibility, response times and expansion.

Fill two contracts with one setup. ;)

You could start by not spamming it into every thread, related or not.

TIEro, Jan 4, 2014 IP