1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Strategies for Overcoming Age Discrimination in Hiring

Discussion in 'General Business' started by jrbiz, Dec 5, 2020.

It is very well known that once you reach 50 years old, it gets harder and harder to get hired in a new job. Older applicants hear things like "overqualified" or "not a good fit" and the like when they interview at many companies. I have been lucky in that I am older than dirt and have been able to get hired, anyway, over the years. But I would be interested to hear how older DP members prepare for job searching and interviewing.

jrbiz, Dec 5, 2020 IP
    qwikad.com likes this.
  2. Spoiltdiva

Spoiltdiva Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    I don't know about down south where you are. But up here in the frozen north before the pandemic we had a labor shortage. What was happening in relation to that is companies were reaching out to retired seniors to fill the employment gap. Retired employees bring the qualifications of trust, a good work ethic, and experience to the job.

So no problem getting hired up here if you are elderly and I expect a return to that once everyone gets vaccinated. According to a Nanos poll,(the #1 poll in Canada) 78% of Canadians state they they will take the vaccine when it becomes available.

Spoiltdiva, Dec 5, 2020 IP
    jrbiz likes this.
  3. jrbiz

jrbiz Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    Unfortunately, down here due to the crazy lockdowns that have caused anywhere from 25% to 40% of small businesses to close their doors forever (while the big corporations that donate to the corrupt politicians are doing great), the job situation is not pretty and will not be any time soon because the vast majority of jobs here are from the small and medium-sized businesses. It is going to be a mess and older workers are going to find it tougher and tougher to get a job because of it.

jrbiz, Dec 5, 2020 IP
  4. JoeSpirit

JoeSpirit Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I was fortunate enough to be able to retire from my 1st major career when I was 46. I bought a bar a few months later. Big mistake that and I was again fortunate in that I escaped before it killed me. Then I did a 2-year stint as a pest control tech and got tired of doing that.

Then I focused on my online business.

I do have a sister who struggled for a few years because of being over-qualified. She worked for one of those temp outfits for a couple years before they laid her off. She finally retired on her 401 investments and moved in with my mother who began needing some help.

From what I've seen age and being over qualified does become a hassle though.

JoeSpirit, Dec 5, 2020 IP
    jrbiz likes this.
  5. David Snell

David Snell Peon

Best Answers:
    To help good "hiring karma" come your way, make a list of all the ways you are good at helping people and then go be kind in those ways.

David Snell, Feb 13, 2021 IP