1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Strange sitemaps diagnostics

Discussion in 'Google Sitemaps' started by Saiyanora, Aug 9, 2006.

I've been using sitemaps on my site www.tech-rant.com for around a fortnight now, and I logged in today to seem some strange diagnostics.

First, on the Pagerank bit my 95% of my site has been put in the low PR (before all was none), and 1 page in medium. This medium page is also my highest PR page according to the per month bit. However, what is so strange is that it is a link to my admin.php aka www.tech-rant.com/admin.php which redirects any non admin to the homepage. How has this got a medium PR??? It has NO backlinks or links on my site!?!?!?! My robots.txt also tells googlebot not to go here... weird.

Second, does anybody which PRs "Low" accounts for? My site is reletively new and is still PR 0 according to the Toolbar, is the Sitemaps PR more uptodate? Incase you're wondering I have 0 BL on google (because it never updates!) , but SEO Elite reports me as having 27 backlinks with an average PR of 1.3.

Saiyanora, Aug 9, 2006 IP
  2. cormac

cormac Peon

Best Answers:
    I have a site which is less than two weeks old and also noticed its placed certain pages into the low page rank section and the urls its showing have been posted on a forum external to the site. The index is reporting 0 back links too.

From what I remember this is normal but I could be totally wrong, wouldnt be the first time :confused:

cormac, Aug 9, 2006 IP
  3. MaxPowers

MaxPowers Peon

Best Answers:
    Sai, Low is 1,2,3,4 medium is 5-???

Goog gets weird on the robots.txt and has reported crawling errors on some of my pages because I have them blocked by robots.txt... it isn't an error if I specifically say don't go there (no links in my sitemap for it either)... The redirect to your homepage shouldn't matter at all, but it's weird that a page with no links to it gets noticed... or that it has your best PR. Keep watch on that to see if it dies or if Google announces which pages ARE linking to it. Perhaps you are being passed around hacking sites like a jailhouse... umm... well, y'know.

Turf, you're totally cool with no BL's reported in the early days. Goog knows about the links (which is why they picked it up), but likely hasn't completely processed them into the system. The BackLinks 'display' is only updated every so often even though they are using BL's they know about in their calculations already.

Bottom line is that Google has many, many different 'scripts' running that are in charge of many 'small' tasks and not all of them synch up at once. It's like a colony of ants or bees where each one has a specific task to make the colony run well. It depends on the volume of work that a specific program is designed to handle and how secretive they want to be to make it more difficult to crack their inner workings.

mmm, sweet, gooey Googley inner workings.....duh'oh!

MaxPowers, Aug 9, 2006 IP
  4. Saiyanora

Saiyanora Peon

Best Answers:
    Mmm... I've had a look on yahoo/msn if anyone is linking to the admin.php, but I get no results apart from MSNs old cache of my site. I'll be keeping check of this issue for sure though.

Thanks for the info :)

Saiyanora, Aug 9, 2006 IP
  5. cormac

cormac Peon

Best Answers:
    Sai I had a look at your robots file and although I could be wrong you might be missing the trailing slash.

You have - Disallow: admin.php when it should be Disallow: /admin.php and you might want to consider placing <META NAME="ROBOTS" CONTENT="NOINDEX,FOLLOW"> onto the head tag of your admin.php - just a thought :cool:

Max I was thinking that it was all good with Google on my end, I just havent seen it happen before with my other sites.

cormac, Aug 9, 2006 IP
  6. Saiyanora

Saiyanora Peon

Best Answers:
    Thanks man, I'd rather not mess with the code on admin.php... it's a little byound my skills ;) /admin isn't coming up on google searches so I believe it's sorted.

Saiyanora, Aug 10, 2006 IP
  7. cormac

cormac Peon

Best Answers:
    Well you do right if you dont know what your messing with.

Hope it works out anyhow :cool:

cormac, Aug 10, 2006 IP
  8. Saiyanora

Saiyanora Peon

Best Answers:
    The robots.txt change has sorted the problem. On the diagnostics page it states admin.php as blocked by robots.txt :D

Saiyanora, Aug 16, 2006 IP