1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Stopping someone accessing images directly

Discussion in 'C#' started by yorks45, Jan 25, 2007.

Hi all

just posted this in the HTML forum then saw this forum which seems more relevant...

I have a directory full of images on a webserver. I want to prevent people who are not logged into the website to be able to access these images directly ie

http://www.mywebsite.com/images/tree.jpg

If they have logged in they can access images this way but if not they cant. I am using ASP and a windows server

Anyone got any ideas ?

thanks

yorks45, Jan 25, 2007 IP
  2. pr0xy122

pr0xy122 Peon

Best Answers:
    well I know there is something in Cpanel that can do this. But i am not so sure about the logged in/out thing, I think it is a global condition.

pr0xy122, Jan 25, 2007 IP
  3. yorks45

yorks45 Peon

Best Answers:
    yes but I need the access to be controlled by the ASP, ie if they are logged on then they can view the files

yorks45, Jan 25, 2007 IP
  4. ccoonen

ccoonen Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Classic asp or asp.net? I know asp.net 2005 allows you to control object's permissions in a website (as in if you have the role "general" or even have any roll, you can view certain things)

I would look into the asp.net 2005 Sitemap or Web.Config for management. Otherwise, classic ASP i bet you could write a handler for IIS... but this could be a trickier solution. Would if you converted your images to BLOBS in a DB and only served them if they were logged in?

ccoonen, Jan 25, 2007 IP