1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Stop selling your time for $10!

Discussion in 'Copywriting' started by LadyHoldem, Oct 28, 2006.

1. jhmattern

jhmattern Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    Not in the slightest... just means writers in the US, UK, etc. need to learn where to find the higher paying gigs. Most of the major corporations and huge sites only accept native english speakers, or those who could pass as such. On top of it, they demand a certain expertise to back up the writing. For other writers to apply for those same gigs isn't really an issue, b/c with companies like those, writers who undercut their rates aren't the ones who get hired... there's a certain amount of respect that comes from higher paying clients when you prove that you not only know what your time is worth, but when you refuse to accept anything less. Just because most webmasters don't know the value, based on what they consider their priority needs (often just seo, whether the writing is quality or not), doesn't mean writers don't deserve to earn more, or that they can't. They can. Just not by looking for content writing gigs on forums... ;)

jhmattern, Oct 29, 2006 IP
  2. marketjunction

marketjunction Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    For professional writers, the highest paying jobs are in the media and corporate--not DP.

Respect isn't relative to the amount charged. Some clients that pay towards the top end are over demanding and don't respect your time. It might be a small percent of clients at this level, but it exists. On the flip side, some that pay small fees respect what they have.

Anyway, it's pointless to talk about professionalism for writers in a non-professional arena. That's just my take on it.

marketjunction, Oct 29, 2006 IP
  3. jhmattern

Best Answers:
    But not for those who think this is the way professional writers find work, and who honestly believe that it's what they're "stuck" with - having to compete for pennies. There are plenty of writers here who mistakenly think that - I've spoken to several privately, not to mention the fact that it's discussed in threads here regularly enough. Sadly a lot starting out or moving into a new market simply don't know where to start, and assume this is "it."

4. Pat Gael

Pat Gael Banned

Best Answers:
    No doubt that day was hextraordinary :D

I have been following up Jenn's network post because I believe her effort might become a real enlightenment to all of us, bearing in mind she is gathering some of the best writers around.

And for those like me who are at their same level of expertise, but constantly working to improve my skills and charge accordingly, their teaching will be more than helpful and appreciated :)

Pat Gael, Oct 29, 2006 IP
  5. PayItForward

PayItForward Peon

Best Answers:
    Interesting post. A friend once told me I should visit some of the small villages in Thailand and I could live like a king for a month for less than a thousand dollars.

PayItForward, Oct 29, 2006 IP
  6. dirtisbetter

dirtisbetter Peon

Best Answers:
    Well, I live in the United States. And if you make just $10 an hour, you would be doing better than 90% of people in this town.

dirtisbetter, Oct 29, 2006 IP
  7. jhmattern

Best Answers:
    And like I already mentioned, $10 / hr for a freelancer is nowhere near the same thing as $10 / hr for an employee. Freelancers can't bill for every hour that they work, b/c they account for their own marketing and admin, they have costs of being in business, and they pay more taxes.

8. marketjunction

marketjunction Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    What town might that be?

I'm guessing midwest perhaps?

Here (Vegas) or anywhere on the west coast, you can't live on $10 an hour.

I went to the store the other day to get some Salmon (not the farm raised crap) and it set me back about $40 for just over a couple of pounds. At $10, you would have to work almost 6-7 hours (accounting for taxes) just to buy part of a fish. :D

marketjunction, Oct 29, 2006 IP
  9. abdussamad

abdussamad Active Member

Best Answers:
    Really guys you need to wake up to the fact that the internet is truly global now. This is almost like instant worldwide labour mobility. So while $10 maybe too little in your country its an experienced graduate's wage in most parts of the world. So adapt.

abdussamad, Oct 29, 2006 IP
  10. klown

klown Peon

Best Answers:
    Wage depends on where you live and what you expect. Many university graduates here get paid around 10$ per workday (8 hours). Thats a lot better then some people too. This isn't a wage for the uneducated etc. Thats just a very normal wage. A friend of mine who is intelligent, hard working, and speaks good English only makes that.

klown, Oct 29, 2006 IP
    Phynder likes this.
  11. dirtisbetter

dirtisbetter Peon

Best Answers:
    Yes midwest. I've lived all over the country so I know how unusual it is. But I rent a three bedroom home for $450 a month. I could rent a shoebox in NYC for that. An actual shoebox. In the gutter.

I understand your point. I was saying that if I was averaging $10 an hour, after taxes, after advertising, after the admin part....then I would be making a ton of money for where I live. My point was that just because you live in the United States, that doesn't mean that you have to make $200 an hour to be making a decent quality of life.

I know that is not your point...your point is why make $10 an hour if you can make $200.

dirtisbetter, Oct 29, 2006 IP
  12. jhmattern

Best Answers:
    And it's not all about the Internet, and no one said it was. One of the primary points I made is that native english speaking writers who have a solid expertise in a niche (or those elsewhere whose English is literally perfect), don't have to compete with writers in China, India, etc. They're really not even the same markets. 90% or more of the webmaster market is underpriced for US, UK, Canadian, etc. writers. They don't need to compete with you, and shouldn't be. They should specialize if they want to make a serious career out of writing, and they should go to the publications that demand their specialty and strong English skills.

If you approached several of the larger clients I and writers I network with have worked with, they'd laugh at you offering to do the job for $10/hr. You'd never get it, b/c you wouldn't be taken seriously as a professional. Undercutting your abilities and devaluing your work will lose you more work than it will ever get you in a financial sense. And if you can write one article for $200-1000, there's no reason to think you're only worth $10 per hour and have to potentially write hundreds of articles to earn what the rest of us can make in an hour or two. It's not just about money... it's about quality of life. And that's often what sets professional writers apart from those who are amateurs or just don't know any better is possible yet.

And even on a global scale, if a writer in India can write as well in English, and in the appropriate conversational tone to whichever market they want to write in, and they have the same expertise, degrees, experience, etc.... the larger companies aren't going to pay them less. They'd be paid the same $.20-$1 / word or more as a US writer... and they should be. It's the same thing... if they can earn that much from one article, they shouldn't feel like they have to write dozens or hundreds. If it's more valuable to them in their home country... well good for them, let them be a "rich" writer. Unless you're writing for a regional publication, they have to reason to care where you're from as long as your work is of their standard quality.

jhmattern, Oct 30, 2006 IP
  13. abdussamad

abdussamad Active Member

Best Answers:
    I never said I was a writer.

abdussamad, Oct 30, 2006 IP
  14. jhmattern

Best Answers:
    Fine. Then "your friend". If their English is that good, and so is their writing ability and they have an expertise in a niche, whether they're in the US or China would have very very little to do with how much they're getting paid if they learn how to target the right clients. Even in China, India, or wherever, $10/hour is much lower than they "could" be making, and for anyone to work for less than they could/should be making is just not smart any way you cut it.

15. abdussamad

abdussamad Active Member

Best Answers:
    Nope no friend either. Just pointing out that this is history repeating itself. It happened when the Japanese started making cars and electronics and its happening now that the Internet is allowing people who have skills to meet clients. Geographical location does matter and some people do have prejudices. It prevents you from meeting and dealing with clients. It makes it more expensive to recieve payment. Which is why the Internet is changing things so much. ITs helping make the playing field more level.

16. jhmattern

Best Answers:
    Sorry, I looked at Klown's post and not yours. :)

It's not at all a repeat of the automotive market. Manufacturing and writing are two entirely different things. Is something still being "produced"? Yes. But with a car, it's one general concept that applies to everyone, and it's left to personal preference. Just as people will always want luxury cars or only cars made in their home countries makes the automotive market a little less "global" than we'd like to think, writing will never be one global market.

Internet or not, a client's needs with many major corporations who pay top dollar for writers will revolve around expertise and english writing skills. A generic content writer in China or India isn't going to get that work. Neither will an inexperienced english-speaking writer from the UK, US, or anywhere else. As I've repeatedly said, it's about specialty, expertise, and a command of the language appropriate to the client's audience.

I wouldn't expect to get a high paying writing gig with a Chinese publication, b/c I don't speak or write in the language. The same goes for writers who don't speak English well enough to cut it in professional english publications (such as company publications to trade magazines - often the highest paying markets). It's not making the playing field more level for "writer" - only for general content writers. And my point is that US, UK, etc. content writers need to understand that they're going to set themselves up for disappointment if they keep trying to only target general webmaster markets. They shouldn't be competing in a market they can't compete in, and there's more than enough room for them if they'd simply pick up a specialized set of skills for a niche focus, where they'd easily make a few hundred dollars per article rather than wearing themselves out on general content that rarely builds the best portfolios anyway for attracting higher paying clients later. Once they get stuck in that niche / rut, it's extremely hard to get out of it... and it's one they shouldn't jump into in the first place if they want to become professional writers and actually make a decent living doing what they love. If they're content with simply writing to make a few bucks here and there, that's another story.

17. britopian.com

britopian.com Peon

Best Answers:
    every $10 article that I have read was CRAP!

britopian.com, Oct 30, 2006 IP
  18. Phynder

Phynder Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Come on - let's not get silly. So, if I write an article for free - it is automatically crap?

britopian.com - I encourage you to go back and re-read this thread and try to form a more intelligent opinion. You state that every $10 article you have read is crap - well, the thread began with the assumption that those $10 article should be sold for MORE than $10. Are you saying that a $10 article marked up to a US standard of living would then magically become "not crap"?

Phynder, Oct 30, 2006 IP
  19. abdussamad

abdussamad Active Member

Best Answers:
    klown is right about one thing $10 a day is a pretty good wage in asia. $10 an hour is an executives wage. The sort of executive that works for a major multinational such as the ones your referring to.

When I said history repeating itself I was referring to people's reaction to increased competition from poor countries. I am sure when the Japanese first started making inroads into the Western car and electronic markets a lot of western manufacturers might have argued about how they will always able to sell because their quality is better, they are based in the west or whatever. A lot of the electronic manufactures based there failed. Writing actually has more potential to become a global market because unlike manufactured products which have transportation and import tariff costs associated with them, writing does not.

So basically what your saying is that they should adapt? I believe I wrote about the need to adapt in my first post in this thread so I agree with that. BTW a niche is usually high paying so they will be aiming for a niche not avoiding one.

20. pr0xy122

pr0xy122 Peon

Best Answers:
    Damn your lucky lol.

pr0xy122, Oct 30, 2006 IP