1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Stop defending DMOZ

Discussion in 'ODP / DMOZ' started by sridhar kondoji, Oct 16, 2005.

Like cool_dmoz said in an earlier post

"If you can't spend 10 minutes a day editing/reviewing websites, then resign."

Simply what that means is, we don't need volunteers who can't volunteer atleast 1 hour a week or few hours a month or atleast few websites a year.

Just resign and don't inflate the number of volunteers at DMOZ.

In anycase, Don't spam the forums here defending and repeating what is already written in guidelines.

One of the DMOZ rules says
    "Submitting more than once is a spam.."

Apply same rule to your postings on this or any other forum.
    Repeating same guidelines over and over is spamming. So don't do it.

Do something worthwhile.

Log off this forum and add a new website. Please....

OK, i know, there will be bunch of RED reps.
    You are all welcome.

sridhar kondoji, Oct 16, 2005 IP
  2. bradley

bradley Peon

Best Answers:
    Why you assume that posting here prevents us from editing 'at least a few websites a year?'

bradley, Oct 16, 2005 IP
  3. Alucard

Alucard Peon

Best Answers:
    Could you PLEASE tell me how this would make the ODP one iota better as a directory? I'm sorry, I just don't see the logic. What does having a so-called "inflated" number of volunteers have to do with what is and what isn't listed in the directory?

And who is this "we" to which you refer?

NOTE: This is a DMOZ guideline-free post.

Alucard, Oct 16, 2005 IP
    ethical and wrmineo like this.
  4. minstrel

minstrel Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    :D Yes. It is indeed.

minstrel, Oct 16, 2005 IP
  5. sridhar kondoji

sridhar kondoji Banned

Best Answers:
    'we' in my post, refer to everybody who is not DMOZ editor.:)

6. minstrel

Best Answers:
    Well, that's a bit presumptuous.

I may (or may not) agree with some of your comments but if you're going to elect yourself to speak for me, you might at least PM me first and ask if I mind :eek:

7. sridhar kondoji

sridhar kondoji Banned

Best Answers:
    Coz, dmoz editors posting here doesnot do any good.

I visited and posted on resource-zone, where DMOZ editors think they are the kings and give answers which are written in stone.

If that is what they are going to dish out on forums and they are not open to any suggestions, then where is the point in lurking on forums?

Like how they have shut status check, they should also shut that forum.

Its time for DMOZ to go like yahoo directory, where they charge per anum.
    This atleast would speed up the listing process.
    I don't mind paying. Give me that chance.

I don't see any rationale in making DMOZ a volunteer based and free for all websites and infinite websites in the queue.

Also, there are editors, who just don't look up the pending list. They simply go through some classified newspapers and list websites.
    I felt that those editors are indirectly marketing those newspapers and encouraging people to go that route.

I can show you editors on resource-zone, who just wake up early morning and look up for websites on classifieds page.
    I am not sure, if they have listed those newspapers on the forum, where they pull up websites.

Birdie likes this.
  8. dvduval

dvduval Notable Member

Best Answers:
    And if any DMOZ editors find the time to talk here, here's a bone for you:
    http://www.whois.sc/dmoz/suite101.com
    Great site for locating Google Adsense ads or getting nailed with popup windows.

And here is another great site:
    http://www.whois.sc/dmoz/gpnotebook.co.uk
    You can either click on a Google Adsense ad or fill out a form so you can be sold as a lead.

It just keeps getting better and better.

dvduval, Oct 16, 2005 IP
  9. Alucard

Alucard Peon

Best Answers:
    So you have found sites which editors have found provide enough content to "deeplink" in the directory. Those sites have Adsense.

Is there a point, here? What, exactly, keeps getting "better and better"?

Alucard, Oct 16, 2005 IP
  10. Alucard

Alucard Peon

Best Answers:
    OK, but I fail to see how them stopping posting will make the directory any better, which seemed to be your idea, along with firing less active editors.

There is already a directory that does that. Yahoo.

Have you paid to get a listing in Yahoo?

ok, I can understand, based on your posts, that you don't understand this.

I guess I'm not seeing the inherant problem. Editors are told to get sites from wherever they want to. The directory grows as a result. You seem to feel that suggestions made via the suggestion form should automatically get priority over those that editors find elsewhere. That, again, is just not what the ODP is about. I understand that you would LIKE it to be like that, but it isn't.

Well, I do the same. If I am reading a magazine, or actually going shopping, I collect websites for local businesses and, when home, look to see if they are listed in the ODP. You have a problem with that?

I'm afraid I don't understand what you are saying, here.

Alucard, Oct 16, 2005 IP
  11. compostannie

compostannie Peon

Best Answers:
    I'm not a king, and I disagree with most of your post, but I have written in stone. sridhar kondoji, have you been spying on me? ;)

compostannie, Oct 16, 2005 IP
  12. minstrel

Best Answers:
    Nice photo, Annie... is it yours?

13. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    Oh, ok, I'll resign now.

And if anyone asks me why I'll say "because a grunt told me to"

sarahk, Oct 16, 2005 IP
    Alucard, Smyrl and zman like this.
  14. sridhar kondoji

sridhar kondoji Banned

Best Answers:
    I bet you should resign. Look at the following sites info.

www.propertyinvestor.info

Dmoz listed: http://search.dmoz.org/cgi-bin/search?search=propertyinvestor.info

This is the category without any editor.

Online since : september 25 2003.
    Avergae traffic rank: 1,663,976

http://www.waitakere-bmx.com/

DMOZ Listed: http://search.dmoz.org/cgi-bin/search?search=waitakere-bmx.com

This is the category without any editor.

Online since : August 11, 2005. (brand new mambo website got listed in DMOZ in no time)
    Avergae traffic rank: 2,093,015

Do you own these websites or are affiliated with?
    Did you listed these websites?

Don't run away, be brave and defend on these findings.

Some more of your affiliations and your SEO firm.

Your website: http://sarahk.pcpropertymanager.com

You have also listed your focus on these.
    1) http://www.pcpropertymanager.com

Listed in DMOZ.
    http://search.dmoz.org/cgi-bin/search?search=pcpropertymanager.com

2) http://www.propertytalk.com/
    Listed in DMOZ
    http://search.dmoz.org/cgi-bin/search?search=propertytalk.com

3)http://www.goodreturns.co.nz/

Listed in DMOZ (3 lists)
    http://search.dmoz.org/cgi-bin/search?search=goodreturns.co.nz

photofox likes this.
  15. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    I make no secret of my affiliation with those sites and the first was submitted for about a year before it was listed. A great many of the sites in those cats are approved in "no time" while a great many have also been waiting for too long. The two other sites in the category are competitors and did not submit their sites. I added them for balance.

Does that relate to Alexa? If so then who cares. It's a New Zealand site, Alexa doesn't have any interest in NZ sites and so the ranking is irrelevant... unless something has changed since I wrote this.

As for the BMX site, it's non-commercial so I had no qualms in listing it myself, using the required affiliation tool tool and even adding the affiliation into the editors notes.

If you understood how the category editor system worked you'd know that there is no such thing.

yeah, right!

sarahk, Oct 16, 2005 IP
  16. sridhar kondoji

sridhar kondoji Banned

Best Answers:
    "I make no secret of my affiliation with those sites and the first was submitted for about a year before it was listed. A great many of the sites in those cats are approved in "no time" while a great many have also been waiting for too long. The two other sites in the category are competitors and did not submit their sites. I added them for balance."

So, to add your own affiliated sites, you have added competitor sites for a balance.

Wow, what a great editor you are. Good. Good. Keep up the work.

By the way, how much did you get paid for those listings?

Yes, your sites got listed in no time. Do you know why?
    Because you have a ring of editors, who get listed each other websites.
    Want to know?
    Just to help each other.

It is time to dismiss this cheat editor out of DMOZ.

By the way, can you tell us, how long ago, did you become editor?
    How many sites you have added?

Be brave and list all those affiliations and payment info.

Some of those sites are shit sites and they got listed.

Kool work.

17. sridhar kondoji

sridhar kondoji Banned

Best Answers:
    Sarah you run a SEO firm.
    Better be careful and make sure you revealed it to DMOZ before becoming an editor.

18. Old Welsh Guy

Old Welsh Guy Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Srindhar, why are you so angry?

Follow this logic for a moment here, and bear with me please.

Would you agree that the best person to edit and select websites for inclusion in ANY directory, would be a person who knows a lot about that subject?

Would you also agree that An expert in the field would know many quality websites that they could add to that category?

And would you also agree that if that person was indeed an expert, that there is a fair chance that their own sites would be worthy resources for that category?

Now based on the above (which I would say most people would answer yes to). would you say that the editor would be helpin or harming the index by NOT including their own sites?

You have just suggested that someone resigns because they have sites listed in a category they edit. Is this logic or jealousy?

Let me give you an example. I have a rugby forum, it is listed twice in DMOZ. I may or may not have submitted it, I am not sure as I can't remember. I adore rugby, I eat sleep breath the game, I have watched 4 games this weekend since Friday, one live and 3 televised. I KNOW about rugby. I also a about to launch a rugby directory with about 9000 sites in it. Now if I apply for and got accepted as an editor of the category that my site is in, should I remove it because I am an editor and it is my site? Should my rugby directory (probably one of the best resources for rugby online) be removed simply because there is a connection?

I have been rejected by DMOZ 3 times. My English is probably not good enough. I edit on some decent directories though Like Skaffe, and I can promise you that I show no bias when editing. If a site is good enough, then it gets in. easy as that. If I come across a site I like, that is a good resource, in it goes.

As for editors not posting on forums, well that is an out and out joke my friend. I have come across many good resources on forums, and adde them to directories. I have also come across scumbags who have bragged about spamming directories where I edit, and taken them out!

Editors are not paid, they volunteer, so I really do not see where you or anyone gets off on telling them what to do with their time.

Can you guess I am with Minstrel here in saying that the 'WE' doesn't include me . :D

Old Welsh Guy, Oct 16, 2005 IP
  19. Old Welsh Guy

Old Welsh Guy Notable Member

Best Answers:
    This was posted while I posted. Man you are one slanderous nasty piece of dirt. Not only have you bad mouthed a person you know nothing about, you have accused them of taking bribes and corruption, and called for them to resign. well how about you resign from posting. People like you make me puke.

Old Welsh Guy, Oct 16, 2005 IP
  20. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    You insulting prick!

you know nothing about me!

Infact one of the issues I have is the sense of isolation from other editors. There is no "ring" and there is no payment. I don't even charge for submissions to my own directory.

And I didn't run an SEO firm when I became an editor. Key editors know I participate in this forum and my signature is available for all to see. It's also clear from my list of affiliations which are my sites, which are clients, which are domains I used to own. Most of my clients sites fit into categories outside my editing influence anyway so they just sit in the queue with everything else.

OWG has just posted as I type. One good reason not to resign. I become part of the WE. I'd hate to have anything in common with sridhar kondoji

sarahk, Oct 16, 2005 IP