1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Stitching Log Files together??

Discussion in 'Traffic Analysis' started by carowan, Sep 9, 2004.

Is there a way to combine weekly log files into one large file, or at least link them sequentially?

I am currently using WebLog Lite, and it does a fine job with the weekly logs, but I am interested in seeing trends over time, (frequently used keywords, visitors etc) rather than a weekly snapshot. I realize that the files can be large, but im sure someone has figured out a solution for this way before I thought about it.

Also I have a large discrepancy (approx. 50%) between my log file and my webhosts (Yahoo) online tools in counting the total number of visitors. Which is generally more accurate?

Thanks

carowan, Sep 9, 2004 IP
  2. exam

exam Peon

Best Answers:
    Well no one has responded to this Q. I would say you can d/l the raw log files, and put the contents in one big file, and analyze it with a prog. (webalizer, analog) on your own computer. Should be no problem.
    /d/

exam, Sep 12, 2004 IP
  3. mopacfan

mopacfan Peon

Best Answers:
    A good log file analyzer will be able to read multiple log files and put them in order automatically.

mopacfan, Sep 13, 2004 IP
  4. bobafind

bobafind Peon

Best Answers:
    http://www.quest.com/funnel_web/analyzer/

This free log analyzer can analyze multiple log files (and put them into chronological order), either in a list or drag and drop; it can also put the entries into a database for historic reporting and has lots of other features. I've just started using it and I like it due to the fact that it's free and feels professional.

The free verision is the full version, just with no tech support. It is freeware, not shareware or trialware etc.

bobafind, Sep 13, 2004 IP
  5. exam

exam Peon

Best Answers:
    Thanks bobafind, I'll be checking it out. Hopefully you can define the log format because my webhost adds a couple pieces of info and the logs are not one of the standard formats. (I've had problems with some analysers not being able to read them)
    -d-

exam, Sep 13, 2004 IP
  6. bobafind

bobafind Peon

Best Answers:
    Make sure to let us know of any issues you come across :)

bobafind, Sep 13, 2004 IP
  7. Dodger

Dodger Peon

Best Answers:
    I use Sawmill ( http://www.sawmill.net ). This is an excellent analyzer, runs about $100 USD though. They do have a free copy if you will do some testing for them (which is not to painful to do) you just use the thing and keep a journal of your activities (problems you encounter, how intuitive it is to use, etc.) after about 30 days the prog is yours for free, plus you help them improve the product.

Dodger, Sep 15, 2004 IP
  8. exam

exam Peon

Best Answers:
    I actually did have a problem with the funnel web analyzer. My webhost logs are a pretty weird format, It's similar to the CLF, but they have added more columns. Here is an example:

23.129.231.142 - - [18/Sep/2004:00:38:44 -0400] "GET / HTTP/1.1" 200 3434 www.mydomain.org "-" "Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows NT 5.1; FunWebProducts-MyWay)" "-"

I'm not even sure what the last "-" is for, I think it is for a proxy server if there is one, that's my guess, but nothing has ever shown up there. Any ideas what logfile analyzer I can use with this format?

exam, Sep 20, 2004 IP
  9. bobafind

bobafind Peon

Best Answers:
    The link I gave was for the FreeWare Version - the full version can do custom log formats - you pick and choose the fields, and it can support many more log formats. I'm not sure if they are still selling the full version. I'll edit this if they are.

bobafind, Sep 21, 2004 IP
  10. mopacfan

mopacfan Peon

Best Answers:
    Yep, I just sent in my documentation of five hours of testing to get the 5 domain license.

mopacfan, Sep 21, 2004 IP
  11. exam

exam Peon

Best Answers:
    With Sawmill can you specify a custom log format?

exam, Sep 21, 2004 IP
  12. Dodger

Dodger Peon

Best Answers:
    Far out! You are the first person I heard of going thru this. I already have my own license and never bothered to go thru it. Let us know if the licenses come thru or not, okay? Would be interested in knowing how easy it was for future reference.

Yes you can. It processes a ton of log formats also. Go to this page then look at the tail end of it where the title says "Processes Almost Any Log File".

Per the feature FAQ:

Dodger, Sep 21, 2004 IP
  13. exam

exam Peon

Best Answers:
    Looks like I'm going to have to give it a try...

exam, Sep 22, 2004 IP
  14. Dodger

Dodger Peon

Best Answers:
    Kewl. Let me know how you did later.

This software is so configurable, and the options are so extensive, you will discover new things it can do even months from now. It is just like a game of chess -- takes only a day to learn how to play, a lifetime to master. :D

Dodger, Sep 22, 2004 IP