1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Step-by-step guide to setup up your first blog powered by Wordpress

Discussion in 'WordPress' started by pratikgmr, Feb 2, 2008.

Hey, I know this is old stuff for most people here. But I am posting this article for newbies who want to create their first blog.

Choose your niche and get a relevant domain name:

You might say, “hey, I know I need a domain name, tell me something I do not know”. Getting a domain name might be obvious but obvious is usually the hardest thing to see. It is always better to register a longer domain name easier to remember and that makes sense than a shorter one that doesn’t. Try sticking with just letters. Numbers, hyphens and other unknown characters can confuse your user. And register the ‘.com’ domain rather than ‘.net’ or ‘.org’. Last point about registering your domain- It is always helpful if your domain name is related to the niche of your site. For example, if you want to blog about celebrities, then having a word celebrity or something related with help your site gain SERPs ( search engine result page). And hopefully, I do not need to tell you how does ranking at the top help your blog. Your site’s niche defines its content. Blog about stuff that you know inside-out and love to talk about. If you choose your niche that you have no knowledge on, you will soon run out of stuff to write and there goes your blogging career down the drain.

Installing Wordpress

Now that you have registered a relevant domain name, pay your hosting fees and download Wordpress. Unzip the file and upload all the files to your server then enter your database details in wp-config-sample.php file and rename it to wp-config.php. Point the browser to the directory where your have uploaded the files and Wordpress will install itself and you are good to go.

Look and feel of your site

You will now need to find a good Wordpress theme that makes your site look professional and authentic. This is very important. Although the Cliché “Don’t judge the cover by its book” is absolutely true, good cover does attract more customers. There are literally thousands of ‘Wordpress theme’ sites. Just Google it. If you cannot find a decent theme, ask for professional help. There are many coders who will do it for you for a reasonable price. Remember: if your blog looks professional, people perceive you as a professional. And, if you cannot maintain that image among your readers, then you, my friend, will learn it the hard way.

Finally, sit back, relax and write good content

As important as site design is, if you do not provide good content, you might as well sell books with just pretty covers and empty pages. So, write good content relevant to your niche. If you are finding it hard to get started, find a free lance writer to do it for you. Make sure you have a legible writing skills in whatever language your blog is in, else the unprofessional factor will come to play again. Write regularly and try to make it original. If you are just worthless in creative writing, find an article written by someone else and paraphrase it or rewrite it. Never copy directly from others and not only for moral reasons but also for legal and search engine’s hatred reason.

Read The Full Article Here: http://blogsontop.com/blog/2008/02/01/5-steps-for-beginners-to-set-up-a-blog/
    Do Digg the article if you like it...

pratikgmr, Feb 2, 2008 IP
  2. WeedGrinch

WeedGrinch Active Member

Best Answers:
    Nice article. Dugg!

WeedGrinch, Feb 2, 2008 IP
  3. pratikgmr

pratikgmr Active Member

Best Answers:
    Thanks for the digg weed

pratikgmr, Feb 2, 2008 IP
  4. mfolan

mfolan Guest

Best Answers:
    Sorry I read your last comment wrong, I thought I read "Dick Weed" not Digg Weed!! :)

mfolan, Feb 3, 2008 IP