1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

steering adsense theme

Discussion in 'AdSense' started by Christopher, Apr 6, 2005.

About half the people that come to my site are actually looking for another site. We have similar urls.

The other site is in the same general field as mine, but has a totally different product.

I would like to put adsense on my site, with ads for the products that the typo traffic is looking for.

So somehow I need to steer the ads away from my product line and to another.

Is there a way to do that? Does doing so p.o. google? (it would be in both our interests).

Christopher, Apr 6, 2005 IP
  2. Homer

Homer Spirit Walker

Best Answers:
    Use common SEO techniques <h1> bold, anchor text, file naming, etc. playing on the terms you are optimizing for

Homer, Apr 6, 2005 IP
  3. Christopher

Christopher Peon

Best Answers:
    um, that's the thing. I can't make obvious changes, focusing on the other product, to my page because I have my product to sell.

I need to be able to have my product be the focus of the page (my product is what I seo for)... But have google ads of interest to people who come to my site by accident and want this other product line.

For example, let's say I seo for and sell refrigerators, but have some people coming to my site looking for kitchen cabinets. I want the google ads to show kitchen cabinet sites, so I can continue to focus on selling refrigerators, and funnel the traffic looking for cabinets to adsense.

Is there a way I can set the adsense keywords to 'kitchen cabinets', or influence it in that direction?

4. Homer

Homer Spirit Walker

Best Answers:

UH UH U...come on now we don't want to be breaching Google's TOS with hidden text, etc. Find a way to cleverly integrate this.

What's the domain? Maybe if I see it I can give my 2 cents :)

Homer, Apr 6, 2005 IP
  5. Christopher

Christopher Peon

Best Answers:
    I don't include my domain on forums, but thank you for your offer.

No, don't want to break the tos, but seems like I should be able to offer a different product line or select a theme I want ads to show in. Guess not?

6. Homer

Homer Spirit Walker

Best Answers:

Best of luck to you :) ...maybe my sig can help you?

Homer, Apr 6, 2005 IP
  7. wendydettmer

wendydettmer Peon

Best Answers:
    There isn't a way to do that unless the page was openly about kitchen cabinets. Any sort of hidden text, etc is against the TOS.

The purpose of adsense isn't to offer another product line, so it would be nearly impossible to do. You have an interesting situation however, but I don't see how you can do it and not break TOS.

Good luck

wendydettmer, Apr 6, 2005 IP
  8. FTEGal

FTEGal Peon

Best Answers:
    Why don't you put a text link where it is visible as soon as the page loads. It could say "Looking for cabinets? Click Here!"
    linking to a new page that you create. On this new page you can optimize it for these other products that people are looking for. Add some content like an article and you have a perfectly legit page where you can add your adsence code.

FTEGal, Apr 6, 2005 IP
  9. Christopher

Christopher Peon

Best Answers:
    Well, this seems a little tacky to me: but what I might do is have a 'are you looking for kitchen cabinets?' link, and on that page, explain that we don't sell kitchen cabinets. Then have adsense at the bottom of that page (no suggesting made to click on those links though).

Come to think of it, my domain also get's hits for a school that goes by the same name as my domain, only theirs is .edu. I get traffic from their typos too.

And there's a third domain that I get mistaken traffic from. Might do a "that's not us" page for them to, mentioning their products, with adsense at the bottom.

hmmmmmmmm..... :)

10. Christopher

Christopher Peon

Best Answers:
    Oh, FTEGal beat me to that idea :)

Great minds and all...

11. Homer

Homer Spirit Walker

Best Answers:
    You have already said the products are related...so it never hurts to talk more about the 'related' products...in good taste of course :)

Homer, Apr 6, 2005 IP