1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Status on OptiGold re-write?

Discussion in 'Optigold ISP' started by sparklogic, Dec 22, 2005.

1. Mia

Mia R.I.P. STEVE JOBS

Best Answers:
    I'm with sparklogic. It is hard to make a decision to stay with a product with no clear plan in site.

Mia, Mar 30, 2006 IP
  2. digitalpoint

digitalpoint Overlord of no one Staff

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    To be honest, it's not a high profile support thread. It doesn't actually have anything to do with Optigold support. I wasn't reading it because I didn't want to get sucked into a conversation about a product that doesn't even yet exist (like I am now). The time talking about it could be better spent working on it.

• There is not a public alpha/beta program, no.

• The initial release is basically just to get it to the point (feature-wise) that the existing Optigold is at.

• No, licensing scheme will remain unchanged (per customer pricing).

• To be honest, I really would rather not get into a "prove it" situation. I'm not looking for feedback at this point, and as I've said in the past... if you need something NOW that Optigold doesn't do, it's certainly in your best interest not to wait for something that isn't even out now. But here's a couple minor ones related to products/taxes.

Attached Files:

digitalpoint, Mar 30, 2006 IP
  3. ThomasFox

ThomasFox Peon

Best Answers:
    Wow, Who are you and what have you done with the real Shawn Hogan?

Seriously, thanks for the update Shawn. Glad to hear things are moving along!

Tom

ThomasFox, Apr 3, 2006 IP
  4. cartama

cartama Peon

Best Answers:
    I'm not sure we should be so happy.... 2 years and all we get are a couple of screenshots. Woohoo.

Personally, I think Shawn's interest lie elsewhere and that we are being taken for a ride.

Mark

cartama, Apr 22, 2006 IP
  5. Drwho17

Drwho17 Guest

Best Answers:
    Nice to see some screenshots. This will allow me to put off moving to a different system a little longer. That's really all I wanted to hear, was that Optigold is still being worked on, and it has a future.

Drwho17, Jun 1, 2006 IP
  6. glidewave

glidewave Guest

Best Answers:
    Well, I've begun the process of abandoning Opti..... Can't wait for the vapor as I can't go into another fall/winter season crippled......Oddly enough, apparently quite a few have; since after talking to the competitors they said my story isn't unique (aww).....

Jon.

glidewave, Aug 4, 2006 IP
  7. davet

davet Peon

Best Answers:
    Hi Shawn, Any update on the re-write? -Dave

davet, Aug 28, 2006 IP
  8. gundar99

gundar99 Peon

Best Answers:
    Too bad on not getting any status on this. We are re-writing our own helpdesk/billing application in PHP/MYSQL since we felt that we were not confident in any further releases of Optigold in a php/mysql format. Folks, even if you don't have a status update, let your customers know that you are still a viable solution and that you ARE working on development on this project, get you customers involved in what you are doing. It's a decent product, however we cannot continue to use it if we feel it will not have improvements or future development.

gundar99, Sep 1, 2006 IP
    Mia likes this.
  9. ReLaX

ReLaX Peon

Best Answers:
    Any update on the re-write?

ReLaX, Sep 1, 2006 IP
  10. Drwho17

Drwho17 Guest

Best Answers:
    It's dead jim, here is a thread about it, I just came in hoping for a magic release or update, but we are moving on ourselves (I don't like the options, but we need more functionality for Telecom stuff). Optigold is right now still head and shoulders better for Internet stuff then anything out there IMHO.

http://forums.digitalpoint.com/showthread.php?t=114549

Key phrase from Shawn H.

"Re: everything else... it's just an allocation of priorities. While Optigold ISP is something we still do, we have other (higher) priorities within the company (obviously)."

Drwho17, Oct 19, 2006 IP
  11. thenickberry

thenickberry Peon

Best Answers:
    That isn't a thread about this at all, it was Shawn responding to a frustrated customer regarding a support issue.

That doesn't mean that it isn't being worked on. Shawn has clearly stated that it is being worked on and there is no timeframe, so just because you haven't seen anything more than a couple screenshots and caught an unrelated quote, doesn't mean that development has ceased.

I'm not in any hurry to upgrade, although I am eager for the rewrite (mysql and web-based is a big plus). :D

thenickberry, Dec 28, 2006 IP
  12. Drwho17

Drwho17 Guest

Best Answers:
    Whatever you want to believe I guess, he's been saying as such for several years, and it appears to be what he does with products he loses interest in to keep people using it and buying licenses. Optigold was clearly the best/most affordable Internet billing software for a long time, but it's getting long in the tooth, and the monthly/bi-weekly upgrades stopped a few years back abruptly. I hope there is a new version on the way, but we and many other optigold customers will have moved on by the time if ever it comes out. A timeframe needed to be set, and a definite promise of an upgrade a long time ago for us to stick with it.

Drwho17, Jan 11, 2007 IP
    Mia likes this.