1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Status check

Discussion in 'ODP / DMOZ' started by real, Nov 29, 2005.

Can someone (who is a dmoz editor and dp member) check status of my submission?

real, Nov 29, 2005 IP
  2. bradley

bradley Peon

Best Answers:
    uh-oh... I'm not sure if Shawn would want DigitalPoint mutating into resource zone the moment word got out that a few editors were doing status checks here for people, so I'd personally rather keep my dmoz-related posting here to guideline explanation, general debates about the organisation, or the discussion of interesting specific cases - for what I perceive to be the good of this forum; though that may not be the position of other editors here who may well oblige.

bradley, Nov 29, 2005 IP
  3. brizzie

brizzie Peon

Best Answers:
    With no editor ability to moderate, lock threads, delete posts, ban users. It would be a bloodbath of epic proportions. RZ used to get enough status check requests to keep half a dozen editors busy, one of the many reasons it was discontinued, not least because the information was, frankly, useless - you are held in a pool and will be reviewed sometime between now and the end of the world. Signal for start of argument about how DMOZ works.

At the risk of someone giving me a red rep accompanied by a big NO! anonymously, why not give the URL and say where the site was submitted and maybe an editor and others with some knowledge of that area can give you generic and anecdotal information.

brizzie, Nov 29, 2005 IP
    sarahk likes this.
  4. macdesign

macdesign Peon

Best Answers:
    No problem, Darwin's natural selection will take care of it.

Once you start doing real status checks here, you will get enough red reps that your account will be suspended.

(These days I appear to get red reps with no comment just for breathing)

macdesign, Nov 29, 2005 IP
    brizzie likes this.
  5. macdesign

macdesign Peon

Best Answers:
    PM to Real

Didn't you make an offer in these forums to pay for a listing? That's the kiss of death.

macdesign, Nov 29, 2005 IP
  6. riz

riz Peon

Best Answers:
    real, are you asking about the site in your signature, florida.house.info?

riz, Nov 29, 2005 IP
  7. compostannie

compostannie Peon

Best Answers:
    I agree with brizzie, bradley, and macdesign. I enjoy participating in discussions of interesting cases, as well as generic and anecdotal information, and I don't mind giving an opinion about a particular website. But to actually do status checks, well that would be suicidal, especially if red rep leads to a ban.

There are a lot of great people here, but there is also a large enough proportion of those who hate dmoz to the point of flinging red marks at editors for just existing that it just wouldn't be possible under the current forum rules.

Instead, you might want to simply start a discussion of your site and where you suggested it and see where it goes.

And remember, any ODP editors who post here are posting as an individual and not as a representative of the ODP. We're just people, nothing more, nothing less. ;)

compostannie, Nov 29, 2005 IP
  8. MountainLife

MountainLife Active Member

Best Answers:
    Could you imagine the number of inquiries? Suicidal is not even the word for it :)

MountainLife, Dec 1, 2005 IP