1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Stats Tracker for Organic Traffic

Discussion in 'Traffic Analysis' started by Dreamshop, Jun 2, 2005.

Okay...I am utterly frustrated with Urchin. I can't find any documentation on reading ppc stats versus incoming traffic from organic search. Even using unique identifiers for all pcc campaigns doesn't help.

So what's the best stats program for specifically tracking organic search???

I know there are a lot of managed services available, but are any of them actually good at this?

Dreamshop, Jun 2, 2005 IP
  2. digitalpoint

digitalpoint Overlord of no one Staff

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    Truthfully, I think Urchin is the best one. Although I haven't done any PPC in a long time, so I don't use it currently. Are you using Urchin 5 or 6?

digitalpoint, Jun 2, 2005 IP
  3. T0PS3O

T0PS3O Feel Good PLC

Best Answers:
    I have the same issue. They should route PPC clicks like they do AdSense clicks via a URL like googlesyndication but then more appropriate of course. Then stick the KWs at the end as if it was a normal search query.

T0PS3O, Jun 2, 2005 IP
  4. Dreamshop

Dreamshop Peon

Best Answers:

It's Urchin 5 (5.7.02) and I don't have admin status. It's provided through the host as part of a package. I might be willing to pay for something better but my funds for this project are limited as this is not my own site.

I have all the PPC campaigns heading to a landing page AND using referrer ID's. Urchin reports this in such as way that I'm not sure how to define it. They use the term "Count", but there's no definition for this.

Adwords/Overture reports approximately 6000 clicks thrus.

Urchin reports...

8500 - Landing Page (requested files pageviews)
    or... 5200 - Landing Page (entrance pageviews)

Referrer Queries are shown at 11,000 for this same landing page. :confused:

5. chachi

chachi The other Jason

Best Answers:
    I thought that their extended log format (ELF) did something to track this. I know that overture has formatted their referring URLs different to make this easier. I read something about this once in the Urchin docs I thought

chachi, Jun 2, 2005 IP
  6. digitalpoint

digitalpoint Overlord of no one Staff

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    I bet the problem is you don't have the Campaign tracking module for Urchin (it's a $3,995 add-on). If you have that, it's awesome for exactly what you are looking for.

You can double-check that by looking at your reports. See if you have the Campaign reports for your site(s) listed at the bottom of this page:

http://www.urchin.com/products/v5/feature_list_master.html

You can see on the Campaign tracking stuff it isolates PPC and organic automatically...

http://www.urchin.com/products/v5/modules_ct_overview.html

digitalpoint, Jun 2, 2005 IP
  7. Dreamshop

Dreamshop Peon

Best Answers:
    Trying to look that up now. Apparently you need to access Urchin Properties function to do this, and unfortunately we don't have that capability through this hosting setup.

Poop!

8. chachi

chachi The other Jason

Best Answers:

Shawn, have you used this or checked it out? I wonder if it is worth looking into.

chachi, Jun 2, 2005 IP
  9. Dreamshop

Dreamshop Peon

Best Answers:

Yup, that's it...and nope we don't have it installed. Grrrr...4k is just out of the question.

*sigh*
    *sigh*
    *sigh*