1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Startup HELP! What do you look for in a hosting service?

Discussion in 'General Business' started by SCLCDC, Mar 25, 2014.

I guess this post is geared toward startups, DevOps and R&D type organizations who are more often than not on a tighter budget than large companies when it comes to hosting solutions. Of course, all input is greatly appreciated.

I'm trying to figure out what factors weigh the most when choosing a data hosting provider. I understand that this is a very complex issue but I want to try and boil it down to its very basics.

What do you guys look for when it comes to hardware hosting solutions? When do you reach the point where you think you're "paying too much"? What specific features/services/etc are you looking for and are most important (generally speaking)?

Conversely, what makes you shy away from a particular data hosting provider? What kinds of things are you not tolerant of?

I know this is a very broad question but any input you guys have would be great.

SCLCDC, Mar 25, 2014 IP
  2. zenplus

zenplus Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    1) I'm tired of EIG (hosting conglomerate). I'm with hostgator right now and I'm going to have to move soon (again). Hate it when they buy my host.
    2) Good reputation.
    3) Phone number
    4) Forum with active community

zenplus, Mar 26, 2014 IP
  3. fp2x

fp2x Peon

Best Answers:
    IMO, the key points I look when choosing an hosting service:

1/ Freedom: Install what I want, when I want.
    Basically, this option is offered by dedicated server. If your business can't support this kind of server yet, you can still
    rely on a VPS offer.

For evaluating this element, check the pricing from your different potential hosting services.

It took me time to come to VPS/dedicated server. The main avantage IMO is to be able to do whatever I want.
    If you don't feel happy with technical stuff, you may hire an IT guy/company for doing it for you.

2/ Documentation and Community: Staff may not be at work when I need information
    I appreciate to find firstly a complete and extensive documentation with all the questions I may ask myself.
    This can be FAQ, posts from the hosting service blog or popular bloggers on the net.

Say we want to install wordpress. Google this:"install wordpress my_potential_hoster".You must find easy to read posts, articles.

In case of problem, I like to google things like "my problem my hosting service" and find instantly fresh answers (ie less than one year).
    If I must spend two days or more on the hosting service forum or receive inaccurate answers from hoster staff, I really get upset !

3/ Fast startup: I don't want to wait two days for having my server
    Clearly, the registration setup must be quick. Within 5min or less, you must receive your login and password for administrating your server.

Check the commercial arguments on the hoster site. Check their Terms and services too.

It is very important to see what marketers promised me IS real. After reading, googling a lot on my potential hoster, I start having a rather clear idea. I want to confirm this idea quickly.

fp2x, Mar 26, 2014 IP
  4. SCLCDC

SCLCDC Peon

Best Answers:
    Thanks guys is this all good stuff.

So it seems like an established data center will usually win over for you rather than a small/not well known one. Would you ever consider giving a smaller/lesser known data center a shot? What would be a motivation for you to give a lesser known data center a shot? Specifically one that's looking to grow its clientele base to achieve that "active community" which seems to be highly valued?

SCLCDC, Mar 26, 2014 IP
  5. jazzyjmnote

jazzyjmnote Banned

Best Answers:
    I will look for a company financially stable, great support and in-house DC.

jazzyjmnote, Mar 28, 2014 IP
  6. SCLCDC

SCLCDC Peon

Best Answers:
    What about lease lengths? Is that something that weighs into decision making? For example, would a month-to-month leasing contract be something you'd be interested in?

SCLCDC, Mar 31, 2014 IP