1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Starting my Own Content Business Tips

Discussion in 'Copywriting' started by Chauntelg, Feb 22, 2009.

Hey Everyone,

I am wanting to break out of my shell. I have been writing for other people for 3 years. I have decided that I want to get my own clients and go out on my own. The problem I have is how do I get the clients? I have read the forums and I know some of you have clients online and some of you have local clients. If you don't mind me asking how do you find these clients? Any tips or hints would be greatly appreciated. Also how much do you charge each client or what do you base it off of? I look forward to hearing from all of you. Thanks in advance!

Chauntel

Chauntelg, Feb 22, 2009 IP
  2. HentleyVentures

HentleyVentures Peon

Best Answers:
    Have you setup an account at Elance?

That may be a good start.

Good luck.

Phil

HentleyVentures, Feb 22, 2009 IP
  3. curiouswriter2

curiouswriter2 Peon

Best Answers:
    I have used the freelance bidding sites to find clients and that is a great way to find clients.

curiouswriter2, Feb 22, 2009 IP
  4. Online Writer

Online Writer Peon

Best Answers:
    This is what I would do.

1. Get a domain name and pay for 1 year of hosting in advance somewhere.
    2. Build a professional website with these pages: Contact Us, Services Offered, Our Team, A great home page, Example Articles. Use a table with rows and columns to show what you charge for web pages, articles, sales letters, etc..
    3. Load that website up with content that people seeking content would find useful such as "How to find a good content writer", "Copywriting vs website content", "Is cheaper really better in the long run?", etc..

SEO that site around "content, web content, web pages, copywriting, web copy, editing" etc..

Once your site is complete, offer your services here in a well written advertisement and do the same on other web dev forums and sites you think could use you.

Be warned. I tried this once with a partner who was an idiot. She cost me many clients and eventually the site itself. It will be almost impossible to keep up if your site takes off so you WILL need to find people to work with. A good rule of thumb is tell the writers you hire that they will be getting 2/3 of the total payment for any articles written. They ARE doing all the work but they wouldn't have that work if it wasn't for you. That is very fair and should work out just fine.

Don't do rewrites. They usually take just as long as writing an article from scratch and people expect to pay next to nothing for them.

Why don't I do this for myself? I'm just too lazy and have 2 unfinished sites as it is lol. If you get this going, I'd be willing to help out possibly.

Online Writer, Feb 22, 2009 IP
    mspennylane and m_v_s like this.
  5. alain94040

alain94040 Peon

Best Answers:
    I disagree with the previous advice. If you build a simple site and wait for people to contact you, it will never happen. Having the site is 5% of the effort.

Use your local network. There got to be people you already know who know someone who needs your services. It's not like you are a beginner in the space, you say you wrote for other people before.

At a minimum, have you contacted them to ask?

elance is another good suggestion: it's not a healthy marketplace in the long run, but it's a good way to find potential clients. Watch out though: they have a policy against members contacting clients directly because they are scared of losing their commission.

alain94040, Feb 22, 2009 IP
  6. Online Writer

Online Writer Peon

Best Answers:
    No, I didn't mean to have the site sit around and hope people find it. You will have to aggressively promote it anywhere content is sold, bought, and traded and create a vast network of backlinks while submitting to directories.

Boring process but it's damn effective. A site won't do much for the first month so that gives you about 30 days to piddle around with it in your spare time.

Online Writer, Feb 22, 2009 IP
  7. curiouswriter2

curiouswriter2 Peon

Best Answers:
    alain94040 I agree with your message as having a site and letting it sit there will not always drive traffic. It takes an active participation in driving traffic to the site in order to continuously build the interest to the site.

curiouswriter2, Feb 22, 2009 IP
  8. sumit1710

sumit1710 Peon

Best Answers:
    First you need a website that offers
    these service promote that website for
    a niche keyword and you would automatically
    getting work. Initially hardwork is high but
    when it is set up the fruits will be forever.

sumit1710, Feb 23, 2009 IP
  9. cd928

cd928 Peon

Best Answers:
    I definitely agree on this one. Some people just put out their websites hoping that people will stumble upon it and give them work or buy their products.

To ensure a steady flow of work, I suggest you create a mix between online and local work. How do you do it? Spread the word about yourself and what you do. Cold contact them. But find out first what you can do for them. Tell them why they need your services in the first place.

You also mentioned that you already have previous clients. Email them too. Tell them what you're doing now and if they liked your work in the past, chances are they won't hesitate contacting you again.

The link in my sig can show you places where you can find work without having to compete that much unlike in sites like eLance.

Good luck!

cd928, Feb 23, 2009 IP
  10. tigerwolf

tigerwolf Peon

Best Answers:
    You can't rely on getting work from sites like elance - there is a lot of competition (lots of it very poor) that can sometimes 'turn off' the kind of people that you are likely to want to attract.
    Definitely work on your existing leads and contacts - you could even try offering them a small commission on the first job that they introduce to you. You then just have to make sure you do a first class job for the new contact so that they will want to come back to you time and time again.
    This kind of comes from Bob Burg's book "Endless Referrals" ... which I'd recommend.
    Bottom line is, don't just do what everybody else is doing (elance etc) or its really hard to stand out from the crowd and build a solid reputation.
    Good luck!

tigerwolf, Feb 23, 2009 IP
  11. Tom Lindstrom

Tom Lindstrom Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Start a blog and offer your services.Have you tried ezine advertising? Here is a good one that has also ezines in your niche, content writing.
    http://www.partenon.com/paa/groups.shtml

Many content writers charge depending on how long the article is and how much time it took to research.As a client, I never pay more than $12 per article (500 words)

Tom Lindstrom, Feb 24, 2009 IP
  12. jaob70

jaob70 Guest

Best Answers:
    I know where your coming from, I had my own writing buisness for a while now. What I found is that a professional site with a domain gave me better and more reputable customers, especially those with large bulk orders. What you have to do is promote your site on DP and other forums such as Ezines forum. Just say you have a new site up, and provide a link. Try Yahoos' buisness hosting. You get a free domain + easy site templates.

jaob70, Feb 24, 2009 IP
  13. slpshtmike

slpshtmike Peon

Best Answers:
    That seems like some really sound advice.

slpshtmike, Feb 24, 2009 IP
  14. jiosis

jiosis Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I used to buy a lot of articles and hire writers for some projects, here at DP and GAF. Personally, I prefer to buy from writers who have a blog. Not only it shows their writing style, it also proves that they are active and up-to-date. Besides, lets not forget the SEO advantage blogs have.

Again, I'm not saying create a blog and wait for customers. I say create a blog and use it to promote your service.

You may also find the link in my sig useful in order to sell your articles.

jiosis, Feb 27, 2009 IP
  15. EMohrman

EMohrman Peon

Best Answers:
    cd928 mentioned cold contacting potential clients. That's a great way to be proactive about building your business. Find professional sites dedicated to your areas of interest/expertise. If they make ongoing use of fresh content, offer to help them with that part of their business. If they aren't doing so, explain to them the benefits.

The key is to tell them succinctly how what you do will provide them with a return on investment.

This is a nothing-to-lose, much-to-gain method. Even if you don't get immediate work, you'll eventually find people coming back to you, assuming your contact with them was professional and convincing.

EMohrman, Feb 27, 2009 IP
  16. mspennylane

mspennylane Active Member

Best Answers:
    I think there are some great tips in this thread. As most of you are saying, you need to make use of as many methods as you can to increase your business. Definitely start up a blog - it's great writing practice if nothing else. It also helps to understand the work you'll be doing for your clients. If you're going to write them blog posts, for example, then having your own blog will make it a lot easier to know what you are writing for etc. You also need to make sure you have writing samples for potential clients as soon as you can.

mspennylane, Feb 28, 2009 IP
  17. phillipmarlow

phillipmarlow Peon

Best Answers:
    Emohrman has a good point about cold calling. That is probably one of the BEST way to develop local business relationships.

phillipmarlow, Mar 23, 2009 IP
  18. Raven1

Raven1 Peon

Best Answers:
    I've had my own freelance writing business for several years now. I began by working on content mills (not a good idea) but I developed relationships with several clients who eventually contacted me directly through my blog and are now regular repeat clients who are happy to continue using my services.

Each new client I've received since then has been a direct referral from an existing client

Raven1, Mar 23, 2009 IP
  19. Mahamaya

Mahamaya Peon

Best Answers:
    There certainly can't be a better way than to try your luck out in few freelancing sites like Scriptlance and GetAFreelancer. I have already written a step by step guide for you in this regard. Click on the above link to have a look at it. Please give yourself little time. Initially work for low rates in these place. But trust me; once you get going, you will realize how much money is involved here! It is very imp to exhibit a bit of patience. It then becomes really easy. Try it out :)

Mahamaya, Mar 23, 2009 IP
  20. article writer

article writer Peon

Best Answers:
    Well, I would like to start a writing firm with a team of 20 writers, 2 editors and 1 reviewer.

Can anyone suggest me how much to pay for each writers and in what basis?

Rightnow I have a idea of paying them 50% on each article.

How to manage the financial flow...

How to pay the editors, if in terms of article basis, then what is % of amount to pay for them for each article?

I like to hire two project co-ordinators to respond to the clients emails.
    And in what basis to pay for them.

I am ready to run a writing service firm.

I request DPer's to give their inputs so that this will become good thread for people who are running and about to run writing service firm.

What is the official system of the concern can be?

Or else can anyone refer me an consultant to get the advice

Management structure of the firm is like,

Writers

Editors

Reviewer

Project Co - ordinator or Manager

Owner

------

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated....

article writer, Mar 25, 2009 IP