1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Starting an oscommerce site...

Discussion in 'eCommerce' started by Crynos, Sep 17, 2006.

Hopefully sometime in the next month I will be launching an oscommerce site. Now, my question, what addons (contributions) would you recommend i install?
    So far I have:
    Ultimate Seo URL
    Google Base / Froogle Data Feeder
    Google XML Sitemap Feed

I know there are probably more out there that I should have.

Also, last question, what payment processor would you guys recommend?

Crynos, Sep 17, 2006 IP
  2. North Carolina SEO

North Carolina SEO Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I have a few clients using OSCommerce. The contribs you have there are good. You might want to add the Google Adsense contrib for the side columns.

As for the payment processor, Paypal and Paypal Pro have been inexpensive while giving full credit card processing for an upstart. Best of luck! :)

North Carolina SEO, Sep 17, 2006 IP
  3. renteror

renteror Peon

Best Answers:
    I used to use paypal with no problems.

If I were you, I would just go through the contributions at random and grab anything that may help you, then try it. Thats how I got some of my best website features.

One contrib I would recommend is one that will send you an sms when you get an order. For people in the USA (maybe other countries) it's free, but being based in the UK, I had to use a gateway (can't remember the name).

Hope that helps :)

renteror, Sep 17, 2006 IP
  4. Crynos

Crynos Peon

Best Answers:
    Thanks guys, what do you use to integrate paypal? Is it this contrib?
    osCommerce PayPal IPN Module v1.0 For 2.2MS2 - here
    or this one
    PayPal_Shopping_Cart_IPN- here

Crynos, Sep 17, 2006 IP
  5. renteror

renteror Peon

Best Answers:
    Paypal is already in oscommerce, it just needs to be selected in the admin panel as a method of payment, well it was in 2.1, i can't see them taking it out for 2.2.

renteror, Sep 18, 2006 IP
  6. DidierE

DidierE Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I use the affiliate program and the 'Ad Tracker (where did they come from)' mod.

The last one is pretty useful because it tracks sales and tells you exactly from what ad-campain or what site the orders came from.

Also make sure you know enough php before jumping with oscommerce.
    For me personally their support forum/community stinks.
    Most of the people on their can't even help you and many of them look like beginner coders.
    I guess that's the problem with open source scripts, nobody really cares to give good support :(

Maybe some people here won't agree with me on this issue but that's just my personal view.
    If you have a coding question, you better ask here on DP. Far more experts here ;)

Best of luck!

Didier

DidierE, Sep 18, 2006 IP
  7. Crynos

Crynos Peon

Best Answers:
    Yeah, im a little worried about the coding part, because im not very good. I can usually figure things out with minimal instructions though. Thanks for the tips everyone. Now to see if i can find a nice cheap/free template :)

Crynos, Sep 18, 2006 IP