1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Starting a directory - what software to use?

Discussion in 'Directories' started by ramprage, Dec 9, 2006.

1. compostannie

compostannie Peon

Best Answers:
    One would think...but obviously the link wasn't working, like I said. Now you've said the same thing about it not working. It's only defamation if it's not true. Then there's the fact that you wouldn't reply to emails and made an error in the link you provided for your support forum. Our reliance on your incorrect link has made another forum owner quite angry.

You are correct, it didn't work, there was no download link at the html page and I didn't get the software. You didn't answer email, but provided a support link that turned out to be wrong. (And I'm being called stupid because you made your link wrong. :rolleyes: )

Wrong. I only went through PayPal one time. I've been a verified member of PayPal since its beginning so I know how to use it properly. You aren't verified, and in your later email to me you admitted that the problem was on your end and that you fixed it. Again, this does not make me stupid.

Included in your evaluation version, you provided this link for support. Not my mistake but yours. BTW, as I wrote above, I did NOT go to the forum you referred to in your evaluation software, my husband did. I've never even read his forum. Ever. This also does not make me stupid, you provided the wrong link. The forum owner banned me because of your mistake and my husband's reliance on your inaccuracy. Dan banned me, a person who had never even been to his forum, then he proceeded to come to Digital Point to flame me here and call me stupid over and over. He's got the wrong person, and therefore really crossed the line. That doesn't make me stupid.

If you got Dan's email, then you must have gotten my husband's email as well. A simple reply telling him you're away for the weekend and will look into it when you return would have gone a long way. Ignoring it created a problem.
    You are aware of the fact that this was your mistake. After finally providing the script you sent a second email, which I wouldn't normally quote. However your friend, whose forum you directed us to in your evaluation script, has already posted my husband's private IMs so I suppose his breech of net-etiquette has opened that door. You followed up by saying :
    I would be more than happy to accept your apology if you and your friend Dan hadn't followed up by coming here to do your tag-team flaming of me. Dan apparently didn't bother to read what I posted. I clearly stated that I never posted at his forum and was never able to get in to see any of it. I never sent him a PM or email. Therefore the rant he has misdirected at me is way out of line. Perhaps you should do your friend Dan a favor and put the correct link to your support forum in your script so your unsuspecting customers aren't sent to the wrong forum. Again, this is your mistake. If you want to regain any credibility I'd suggest you make things right with your friend as well.

Clearly there were multiple reasons.
    1. Your download link was missing, therefore the software was unavailable.
    2. You didn't reply to our email, although you clearly were receiving email, as both you and your friend Dan said.
    3. You made a mistake in your evaluation software when you used your friend Dan's forum URL instead of your own for support. Your mistake, yet Dan blames me? That's ridiculous.
    4. I got no response from you so on John Scott's recommendation I went with the Powerseek directory software instead
    I sent you an IM here that went ignored as well. You chose to respond only after I filed two complaints with PayPal and let you know I posted a warning for other members here. You didn't deliver, you didn't communicate, and now you want me to accept your software AFTER paying the price of the Powerseek directory? Sorry, but no. I'm going with Powerseek rather than the Snowblind directory.

I have no use whatsoever for your software now. You still haven't provided the URL to YOUR support forum rather then your friend Dan's, so that's at least one problem you still haven't addressed. That lack of support really detracts from your scripts value as well. BTW, since your friend Dan gets so irritated when you send your customers to his forum, you might want to fix that asap.

I did appreciate your private apology when it was received, but your public flame followed by your friend's flame really does negate the gesture.

compostannie, Dec 11, 2006 IP
  2. threebuckchuck

threebuckchuck Peon

Best Answers:
    First of all let's make this clear, Compostannie is NOT me. You flamed an innocent person that had nothing to do with it. That's all that needs to be said about that.

I went to the link that was provided by the directory software for support forums. I made an assumption that a link off of the directory software that says 'support forums' would take me to the support forums of the software and not a support forum for who knows what.

As you were so kind to post my "PM", I specifically stated I made a mistake when first registering. Do most of your spammers let you know they've made a mistake by having a typo in their email address and that they've registered more than once to enter a forum?

Once again, I made an assumption. I suppose it would be nonsense to get a message like that from anyone but the fact remains that the directory software links YOUR forums as a support forum for that software. Make the owner of the software change the link if you don't want people coming to YOUR forum for support for HIS software.

Seems simple enough to me.

threebuckchuck, Dec 11, 2006 IP
  3. silencer

silencer Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Sorry compostannie. But your claim that it wasn't you doesn't quite hold water... You can claim it wasn't you all you like and have your husband take the blame, however you spoke on behalf of your husband when you said this:

Because you referred to we, I therefore addressed you referring to your husband/you or both. Your "nickname" is a means of me addressing you and responding to the posts you have made.

I haven't flamed you at all. The post on my forum was absolutely ridiculous and the whole mess could have been avoided by you stating the software you (meaning both of you) used.

If I had of made the same assumption that you did, then I would have noticed that you use phpLD for the script on the email address that was provided to me. I could also have assumed that you were contacting me in regards to phpLD because of my signature on Info Vilesilencer (I have phpLD in my signature). I didn't make the assumption - I chose instead to ban the garbage. I see now that I was 100% right :)

As I said above, she spoke on your behalf by referring to "we" so I spoke to her in the capacity of being both of you.

Ok. Point noted. I accept you made a mistake I wasn't aware that you came to me via that method you never stated that in your PM.

I saw the post in the main thread before I saw the PM's. You are right I don't expect people to apologise in a PM, which is why I emailed you after I had set the bans. Step in my shoes for a minute and see what I saw. A post ,in the wrong forum for that sort of post, about charging you twice on paypal for software. What would you do? It looked like you were trying to phish my paypal address or something. As it was I did end up going through my paypal and searching for the transaction IDs you provided, I wasn't sure what the hell was going on.

Again, its about the post. If you had of mentioned the software it would have clicked. Because I do not sell software, It made no sense to me... I see a lot of posts/emails like that where you get a generic-type post and the person is complaining they've paid money and you haven't provided. In 9 out of 10 cases its a spam/phish/dodgy email... and because its in a generic format it can be easy to get confused because they target a broader user, and you might be involved in some of the services or business that are mentioned.

I have asked the software distributor to either change my link or remove it. It is his software, not mine.

Would've been if the software name had been mentioned.

I'm happy to leave it there. I apologise to compostannie if my posts were taken as a personal flame. I was responding to the nickname making the statements. I don't know which of you was using the computer or when...

silencer, Dec 11, 2006 IP
  4. an0n

an0n Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    [​IMG]

an0n, Dec 11, 2006 IP
  5. Snowblind1

Snowblind1 Peon

Best Answers:
    Hi again Compostannie,

A very, very interesting reply.

Although no one wants to see a *****ing match, you've chosen to make this public - so I am going to reply in public. First off - there is no link to Dan's directory forum suggesting it is my support forum. It seems you are completely infuriated over this point, when maybe it's just something you misread. I do link to Dan's forum as a "Directory Forum" (which is what it is) in amongst a bunch of other links, another one of which is a link to webworkshop.net, an SEO forum. However, I make no reference to it as a support forum.

That's the defaming part. There is no real reason for you to jump to this conclusion. I understand that you may have wanted the script in a timely fashion, but it had been less than 24 hours and you panicked because of the lack of response. Being "away for the weekend" means I can't email you, I can't reply to PM's, and I can't fix any mistakes that have been made. All of these I done as soon as I arrived back.

What happened with that link was my hosting's fault. There's nothing I could have done to foresee this happening. The hosting did an update that changed the way it treats some URL's. When I found out this I apologised - and I still contacted you within 24 hours.
    I never called you stupid - I would never treat a customer in that regard.

Again, if I was able to email you while I was "away from the computer for the weekend", I would have been able to email you the directory script. Simple as that.

I received these emails when I got back. Dan brought it to my attention.

You were given full support within 24 hours of purchase. To me I'd be very happy with any product that gives their customers that kind of service - and even that delay was only because I was away from the computer. I've been known to spend hours with customers, and only take minutes to reply.

To be completely honest with you, I didn't appreciate your "public flame". I have been calm and cool about all of this, while you try and make me and my service look bad to everyone on this forum. I'm not sure if you have a service or product you sell on the internet - but how would you feel if someone did the same to you because you had an emergency and were away from a computer for 48 hours? Your posts were really not needed, as without them the problem would have been resolved in a way that was quicker and more peaceful for both of us.

Snowblind1, Dec 11, 2006 IP
  6. Snowblind1

Snowblind1 Peon

Best Answers:
    *nb* there is no link that says support forums on the script. However there is one that says "Contact SB Help Desk", which would have sent you to me =)

7. compostannie

compostannie Peon

Best Answers:
    Me too! Your friend at SBD had your forum's URL as his support forum, in his evaluation script. Your fury is misdirected.

I did not go to SBD's support forum. I also did not go to your forum. I made no posts in your forum, I sent you no IMs and I sent you no email. I have never read, registered, or posted in your forum.

You didn't waste a single second chasing up anything for me. I never registered at your forum, I never posted at your forum, I never sent you email, and I didn't send you any IMs. I asked you no questions and made no demands. You didn't ban me, you banned an ip address. In fact, I didn't even think about you or your forum.

Stupidity? Yes there has been much stupidity throughout your flame, but I'm not the one who's being stupid. Do you have a mirror handy? I suggest you ask the owner of SBD to correct his link to his support forum in the evaluation version of his software if he hasn't done so already, otherwise you may get more inquiries from people who have been misled by Snowblind, and you might risk the embarrassment of going onto other forums and flaming the wrong person again, as you have just done now. :mad:

Complete nonsense. I did not send you a single email and I did not ask you why I was banned; after all, how can I be banned from a forum I never went to? And why would I care? You banned an IP address; even I know that banning an IP address can have the effect of banning multiple persons and multiple computers. If you don't know that, then you need to do some research so you don't repeat your mistakes. ;)

8. Snowblind1

Snowblind1 Peon

Best Answers:
    All I'm going to say about the forum link is, Re: My post up there ^^^^

You have misread. Keep it at that shall we.

9. silencer

silencer Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Wow and I thought what I said above covered this.

You said "we" compostannie. You spoke on behalf of your husband. Whichever of you came to my forum doesn't matter. You made the post about coming onto my forum. Whether you did or not doesn't matter, you posted about it, and thats the post I was responding to, made in the capacity of "we" on your husbands behalf.

You are also crying about being flamed when you are dishing out quite a bit of vitriol yourself. Keep that mirror for yourself sweetheart because you have a nasty double standard there, and you need to have a real good look at yourself before you starting throwing those stones ;)

silencer, Dec 11, 2006 IP
  10. compostannie

compostannie Peon

Best Answers:
    Neither, it's for a non-profit charity directory. I was buying the license to donate to the cause. One of the founders of this non-profit directory is a moderator here; she is aware of our purpose and excited about it. The "we" I refer to, are the founders of this non-profit directory. We discussed using your script rather than PHP Link Directory, looked at the trial version and went from there. When the forum became unavailable to the one person who was trying to ask for help, that same "we" tried it from various locations throughout the world, as we are scattered about. That's when "we" discovered that a couple of us had been banned. Not the whole group, but certainly more than the one person who went to the forum. I was also banned, for no reason what-so-ever, other than my ip address is shared. Not nice, yet you expect nice in return?

Your venom and Dan's venom was not deserved. In your trial script you linked to his forum, apparently a mistake that caused problems with Dan and Dan reacted in a very nasty way. If you mistakenly linked in your script to Dan's directory for support, then it's only natural that a ban for asking a question would result in unhappy customers. And unhappy customers who have no other way to contact a person who can provide an answer are likely to go back to the forum where they first learned of the problematic software and post a warning to others.

Would you like the user names of the other DP members creating this charity directory so you can include them in your flames as well? Because that's the WE I was referring to.

I know you have a link to the vilesilencer forum on you site in multiple locations. That's not what I'm talking about. I'm talking about the one IN your actual evaluation script. Did you even know it was there? Have you removed it? Did you even look?

11. Snowblind1

Snowblind1 Peon

Best Answers:
    As I said, in the script there is a link amongst about 4 others (under the heading "useful links"), one of which has the anchor text "Directory Forum" not "Support forum" or "SBD Directory Forum". Nothing that would say that it is the support forum for the script. If you asked the right questions there though, you probably would have been supported. Dan would have helped *you* out in a second if *you* made the right post.

I haven't removed this because it's supposed to be there. It is a support forum for all directory script users & posters and I believe it is more than useful for users of the directory script. Hence why it is under the heading "Useful Links".

You will note that in the script there is a link called "Contact SBD Help Desk." That is the one you wanted ;)

I don't know about you, but I believe this conversation is going around in circles. I've said nothing in this post that I haven't already said, and you've said nothing in yours that hasn't been said. I'm not too fond of repeating myself - so I'll leave it at that.

12. popotalk

popotalk Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Can she be just refunded for that ? It's for a charity organization directory anyway.

popotalk, Dec 11, 2006 IP
  13. JohnScott

JohnScott Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Seems that would be best at this point.

JohnScott, Dec 11, 2006 IP
  14. popotalk

popotalk Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I think so too. I am one of the founders of this organization and since Annie has semi announced it our aim is to build a directory of non-commercial sites and the editors are mostly comprised of Ex-Dmoz Editors and Editors. We already are using phpld script for this and will build another one for commercial sites only for integrating it in a later date capacity.

Maybe we can all come to terms now and it will benefit all in the long running future for everybody.

15. JohnScott

JohnScott Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Oh, sounds like a worthy cause. Let me know if you guys need anything. :)

JohnScott, Dec 11, 2006 IP
  16. compostannie

compostannie Peon

Best Answers:
    It did, and I apologize. You posted that while I was replying to prior posts, I hadn't seen what you wrote. I'm completely satisfied with what you've said.

17. compostannie

compostannie Peon

Best Answers:
    Thanks John, given your expertise you may regret saying that. ;)

This isn't about money, it's not even that much. I believe software should be paid for. Programmers and developers need to make a living too, but thanks for the sentiments guys. :)

18. popotalk

popotalk Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Thanks John. Since everyone in the web is looking an alternative for DMOZ, we are looking for avenues to fulfill this gap. This concept is in the planned stages right now. And yes we will be needing some of your experience and Financial Wealth.:D

19. an0n

an0n Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    send all charities and/or refunds to

bwahahahaha

<3

an0n, Dec 11, 2006 IP
  20. JohnScott

JohnScott Notable Member

Best Answers:
    You got a name picked out?