1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Starting a blog! Is my idea any good?

Discussion in 'General Business' started by buffad, Dec 29, 2016.

Hi everyone!

I am starting a blog about health and exercise and I'd like some help with my own niche since this field is littered with lifestyle/fitness bloggers. And my focus is definitely not in sharing my breakfast with the rest of the world.

The purpose of the blog is to provide both up-to-date information of health and sports trends and shed some light on modern misconceptions regarding a healthy lifestyle. In all of my articles I will try have an honest and open voice to provide the reader a possibility to create their own opinion on the subject.

But here is the problem, It does not sound media-sexy and the content can easily sound too scientific. Any pointers?

Thanks!

buffad, Dec 29, 2016 IP
  2. GTAce

GTAce Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I don't see anything wrong with it. Sure, the niche is crazy saturated, however, there is always room for more value via quality content. Write some good stuff and share it on social media. Unique health & fitness stuff can spread like wildfire.

It sounds like you have a passion for the subject, yes? My only recommendation would be only to start this blog if you are truly passionate about health & exercise. If you do all of the writing and promotion yourself, it can be very draining, but if you enjoy the subject, this shouldn't be a problem. Without a true interest in the subject, running a blog and writing the content yourself is a losing proposition.

GTAce, Dec 29, 2016 IP
  3. buffad

buffad Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Thanks for the positive feedback! Yes I definitely have a passion in this subject since it is my profession as well.
    I was mostly just concerned with finding the right people to write to. And that might prove to be a bit challenging because of the content.

I guess I'll have to keep posting and see how my 'voice' develops.

buffad, Dec 29, 2016 IP
  4. Proaffili

Proaffili Active Member

Best Answers:
    Be yourself – Be bold

My friend, I don’t think you have a problem – one must be true to himself and to others. Your message might not sound media-sexy and may sound too scientific but what is most important is if it’s the truth. Always place truth above popularity.

I know there are millions around the world, literally dying for the information you would be sharing. They may not be in the majority, but they still need to hear it because they are people and people matter. You did not come to your level of consciousness overnight – it took you time. You became more enlightened day by day, week by week, through information shared with you.

Go for it my friend and be yourself – follow your heart. Times have changed and people are gradually turning away from all the misinformation fed to them in the past concerning what constitutes a healthy diet and lifestyle – you are not alone.

Say what you have to say, write what you have to write. As I said before, millions around the world are literally dying to hear and read it.

Proaffili, Dec 29, 2016 IP
  5. Geoff_MedCash

Geoff_MedCash Peon

Best Answers:
    I think the fact that your content of your blog is matching your occupation is a big plus for you. It just means You have the knowledge + experience. Im into fitness myself and I see a lot of people involved who only learn what fitness is about and not try exerience it first hand.
    Goodluck.

Geoff_MedCash, Dec 29, 2016 IP
  6. uand.eye

uand.eye Active Member

Best Answers:
    I don't think it matters if the subject matter is a little dry, as long as you are able to let your personality shine through. Listen to some influential speakers in the field and see how they engage with their audiences. You should be able to pick up some useful techniques, which can be used to develop your writing style.

As others have said if you are not passionate about the field, then don't bother starting. Blogging is rarely a quick route to a successful business. It takes lots of time, commitment and hard work.

uand.eye, Dec 29, 2016 IP
  7. buffad

buffad Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Thanks again for the responses! Nice to hear some reassuring words from you.
    I know the content and style would need a lot of work/post but I've also considered it to be a way for me to learn new things and keep progressing. I am aware that blogging is not a quick route to success but I don't mind the process. I am not really assuming to make any money out of it. At least for now.

I assume the blog could also work as a professional portfolio of sorts.

buffad, Dec 29, 2016 IP
  8. Vices

Vices Peon

Best Answers:
    So what if the content sounds scientific? There are a lot of people out there who love to read "scientifically" written articles. The only downside is that these kind of people are usually more tech savvy and therefore harder to monetize.

"I don't mind the process. I am not really assuming to make any money out of it. At least for now." - by the time you want to make some money out of it, if so, you will have some audience and some people that trust you. And that is always a good thing.

Vices, Dec 30, 2016 IP
  9. qwikad.com

qwikad.com Illustrious Member Affiliate Manager

Best Answers:
    You kinda answered your own question. Why not start with something "media-sexy" first to get it to the point where you have a good flow of traffic, then gradually adding a more scientific angle to it?

There's nothing wrong with you or your users posting pics of the burgers they ate for lunch, since this is what they are more likely to be interested in.

qwikad.com, Dec 30, 2016 IP
  10. buffad

buffad Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    True, but I don't think I can write decent content if I write about something that is not close to my heart.
    I have started a list of topics that I am going to blog about and it's coming along pretty nicely! Motivation is high at the moment.
    Have a good year everyone!

buffad, Jan 1, 2017 IP
  11. KicaDev

KicaDev Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Go for it. It's your area of expertise.

KicaDev, Jan 2, 2017 IP
  12. jlogan

jlogan Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Buffad

I think it's a great Idea you are niching down in a very big niche, all you have to do is find your audience and cultivate a relationship with them in a genuine way. As you said the subject is close to your heart and you seem like a genuine guy. People will always appreciate that quality, because the net is filled with so many money hungry bastards, especially in that niche. You will be a breath of fresh air, I used to PT when I was in school so I know how shady the industry can be. Go with your heart, don't worry about media sexy, you will figure the way as you go along. Just get started and keep going never quit.

Can't wait to see the blog keep us updated please.

Cheers

jlogan, Jan 3, 2017 IP
  13. Milliardo

Milliardo Active Member

Best Answers:
    Make your content to be as much as understandable as possible. Don't use words that people might not understand; make it so that people would easily read your blog and identify with it. As for the right people to write to, start off with the people you know best. That might mean those you go to the gym with. Then search for people on social media and forums who might have the same interest. Go to YouTube channels that talk the same topic and try to see who might be interested. It might be good to even talk to those channel owners for a possible collaboration later on.

Milliardo, Jan 4, 2017 IP
  14. Atif Shahab Qureshi

Atif Shahab Qureshi Member

Best Answers:

Atif Shahab Qureshi, Jan 4, 2017 IP
  15. Atif Shahab Qureshi

Atif Shahab Qureshi Member

Best Answers:
    I would suggest you to focus on 3 things:

1. Content production
    2. SEO
    3. Content Marketing.

Content was kind and will remain king. so try to deliver a real value to the user. Try to follow trends if relevant.
    Secondly, for search engine presence; you have to focus on SEO.
    Third thing is content marketing . As much you reach your target audience, the more you going to reach your audience, the more you will get visitors on your blog.

Atif Shahab Qureshi, Jan 4, 2017 IP
  16. G2Xmedia

G2Xmedia Peon

Best Answers:
    Good luck on your blog. Something that I recommend: make a commitment to yourself to do at least X number of posts. Maybe that number is 10, maybe it's 50, or maybe it's 100.

Most people give up to easy. Promise yourself you will do X number of posts, and keep writing for 6 months or a year, no matter what. You will improve greatly in your writing style, and sometimes it takes a while to start building your following.

G2Xmedia, Jan 5, 2017 IP
  17. uand.eye

uand.eye Active Member

Best Answers:
    Absolutely. My first blog was used to showcase my knowledge and experience. It got me a lot of interviews. One of the other great benefits of blogging is that it drives you to research the subjects you are interested in. I found it very useful to read opposing points of view. It definitely made me more open to new ideas and I learnt so much. Treat it as a hobby and a passion and you will be fine. Treat it as a business and you will lose interest.

uand.eye, Jan 6, 2017 IP
  18. timallard

timallard Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Don't worry too much about the market being saturated. It's mostly saturated with copy paste duplicate content. Focus on your quality niche content.

timallard, Jan 7, 2017 IP
  19. buffad

buffad Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    This is actually what I was thinking about today. As the text is so neutral, it might not get the reader to fully understand and engage to it. What I might do on the next post is write from my own point of view and backing that up with actual fact-based information.
    Still don't want to sound too preachy!

However, I am enjoying this a lot at the moment!

buffad, Jan 8, 2017 IP
  20. SNTJJ

SNTJJ Active Member

Best Answers:
    Hi Buffad,

My first impression by reading your messages is that the blog will be of high quality, a foundation for success.

From a SEO perspective I wanted to add the advise to take a look at Google Alerts. It is a service that enables you to get notified about developments around keywords of your interest so that you can detect upcoming hypes that may help to produce content that is at the top of the mind of the greatest audience due to the publication process in the larger scale media machine. It may help to reach readers that normally have no specific interest in your topic.

https://www.google.com/alerts

I wish you much success!

Best Regards,
    Jan Jaap

Last edited: Jan 9, 2017
    SNTJJ, Jan 9, 2017 IP