1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Started a new blog, need insight

Discussion in 'Websites' started by John Bavol, Apr 6, 2017.

So I am taking a course on social media marketing at my college. One of the requirements is to start a blog in order to expand our experience in the world of marketing. The professor won't look at our blogs until the end of the semester in which case they will be graded. And asking advice from the fellow students seems useless considering we are all in the same boat of being unsure. We have been given tidbits of information on how to develop our blogs, but I think it would be beneficial to get the feedback from outside sources as to how it looks.

the blog is located at johnbavol.wordpress.com

Any feedback would be a huge help, and greatly appreciated. Im doing well in the class, but I really want to nail this assignment so I have something to show for when it comes time to interviewing for a job in the field.

John Bavol, Apr 6, 2017 IP
  2. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    You've made a good start if you want to create a personal blog about yourself. I wonder, though, if it wouldn't be more challenging to have a blog that takes a devil's advocate approach to something and sells the concept, or a parody site like "half an onion".

When you are copywriting you aren't always going to agree with the stance you are taking. For instance you might like Pepsi but not like their latest campaign but unless you resign in a huff you're obliged to help make the latest marketing campaign a success.

Pick something non political and slightly ridiculous so that the professor doesn't get upset. It'll be harder and less personal but show more of your creativity.

sarahk, Apr 6, 2017 IP
  3. John Bavol

John Bavol Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    I can definitely see how that approach would work, as it could illicit emotions from readers, but considering I am half way done with the semester, shouldn't I keep the same voice and image? Or am I completely missing what you are suggesting? Thank you by the way for the quick response.

4. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    I was suggesting starting over, on a different url, and you can always backdate the posts. It all depends on what you've been told. Do you know anyone who has done the course previously? If you do then find out what worked for that class.

sarahk, Apr 6, 2017 IP
  5. John Bavol

John Bavol Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    No unfortunately this is a new course, and I do not know anyone who has already taken it. I appreciate the advice and will consider it. Thank you

6. cerno

cerno Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    your blog looks fine and your writing is good
    however your content isn't being indexed by google so it really seems like a wasted effort
    if you want your content to be read by people you need to get on a real website
    if you want to build an audience try focusing on a popular or controversial topic
    You need to have a website that integrates with social networks to build a following

cerno, Apr 6, 2017 IP
  7. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    He doesn't, he wants to pass a course

sarahk, Apr 6, 2017 IP
  8. John Bavol

John Bavol Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Of course passing the course is a priority, however I want this blog to be successful to help with starting a career. I would like to use a different site if it means being indexed, however the course requires me to go through Wordpress. Does working out of Wordpress mean that being indexed is completely out of the question? Id prefer not to put money into upgrading my account in Wordpress, but I know that if I did I could use their SEO feature. I don't have much money to throw at this so if there is another way you know of id appreciate it.

9. David Jones42

David Jones42 Member

Best Answers:
    you can follow some famous blogger's blog which can give you solid idea for how to organize, manage, and design-related topic.

David Jones42, Apr 6, 2017 IP