1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Start up as a ebay affiliate

Discussion in 'Commission Junction' started by emphi, Dec 2, 2007.

Hi

I have been thinking for some time to start up as a ebay affiliate. I have about 7-8 good ideas for niche stores at this very moment. Thing is, I have a very limited knowledge on how to create webpages - I do know basic HTML though - and therefore I am looking to invest in BANS or PHPBAY. Is this the right thing, and which should I choose? I am looking for a easy way to create the store, in order to put more time into writing content for the store.

Another thing. How much money do I neew to start up? Is a budget of say $400-500 enough? Thought I'd make about 10 new niche stores a month, is it realistic to expect that the income will cover the expences? Please, give me some feedback :)

Also, tips on how to generate traffic would be much appreciated!

- Emphi

emphi, Dec 2, 2007 IP
  2. Sem-Advance

Sem-Advance Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Hi

Buy BANS through my sig link and I will give you free SEO advice and places to find valuable links.

:)

Can't beat that deal!

Sem-Advance, Dec 2, 2007 IP
  3. Kerosene

Kerosene Alpha & Omega™ Staff

Best Answers:
    If you don't have the time to write your own script, then BANS or phpBay Pro are an excellent way to get an eBay store up and running.
    $400-500 is easily enough!

• Do some reading and decide on BANS or phpBay Pro (they're both good - buy 'em both!)
    • If you don't already have a domain, register a generic/non specific domain.
    • Buy some hosting.
    • Use subdomains to create stores for all your niche ideas
    • Promote your site using social bookmarking sites, Stumble, Squidoo etc...

As long as you don't target an insanely competitive niche, you'll hopefully get a sale within a few weeks. :)

Kerosene, Dec 2, 2007 IP
  4. emphi

emphi Peon

Best Answers:
    Kerosene: So I should not buy a new domain for each store? I kinda thought that would make the store look more "proffesional", with a short and easy adress comparred to a subdomain... Then again, I will save money with only one domain. But will it pay up in the long run?

emphi, Dec 2, 2007 IP
  5. andrej

andrej Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I think you can start for even as low as $15 and just test your ideas before investing that much. Just get hosting, a general domain name and create subdomains on this domain for your niche stores and test how it goes with Adwords. You don't have to buy BANS immediately, you can start with the free eBay editor kit tool.

For traffic, SEO is the best way to go. However, it is not easy to get your site on good SERPs (depending on your keywords). So you can start with PPC.

andrej, Dec 2, 2007 IP
  6. emphi

emphi Peon

Best Answers:
    Andrej: the free eby editor kit tool. Does it built up a complete webpage like BANS would do? Or do I have to make the webpage itself, and then the editor kit tool will implement ebay product lists in my page? How does the ebay editor kit tool work?

emphi, Dec 2, 2007 IP
  7. Kerosene

Kerosene Alpha & Omega™ Staff

Best Answers:
    In my opinion, buying a domain for each niche is a waste of money. The entire idea of an eBay site is to get visitors OFF your site as soon as possible - drop that cookie and run! I get most of my traffic from SEO, most of my visitors click on an auction item long before they look up and notice the garbage URL. And once they've done that, my work is done :p

Kerosene, Dec 2, 2007 IP
  8. emphi

emphi Peon

Best Answers:
    Well, I gues you'r right about that :) One domain limits the one year expenses to about $ 100(whith hosting), which should easily be covered by the income from the stores (which should be quite many if I do as I plan). Thanks for the tip! :)

emphi, Dec 2, 2007 IP
  9. andrej

andrej Notable Member

Best Answers:
    You will need a website and you will paste a javascript into its code. However, you can set up a website easily using a free template. You can install a Wordpress blog and just put on a nice theme and insert the editor kit.

andrej, Dec 2, 2007 IP
  10. emphi

emphi Peon

Best Answers:
    I see. But this will require me to use time to learn the wordpress system, and although I bet it's easy to use, this also require me to spend time figuring out the ebay editor kit tool and making my own working "recipe" for niche stores. I had kinda already made up my mind about buying either BANS or PHPBAY, and I think i'll stick to that plan for now. I appreciate that you took your time to answer me though, and maybe when I got a bunch of stores up'n running I'll have a look on how to make store withouth BANS or PHPBAY. :)

emphi, Dec 2, 2007 IP
  11. andrej

andrej Notable Member

Best Answers:
    No problem, good luck!

You might like to check out my Wordpress tutorial if you once decide to install it.

andrej, Dec 2, 2007 IP
  12. emphi

emphi Peon

Best Answers:
    By the way, if I sign up with BANS, what host to choose? Have been looking a hostgator, is this a god choice? How much should I expect to pay out on hosting for a year?

emphi, Dec 2, 2007 IP
  13. andrej

andrej Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Hostgator is a good choice. You should be fine with the Baby package which costs $7.95 per month and you can host unlimited domains. If you want to pay yearly, it's $95.52 when using the coupon code "snowman".

And for your domain name(s) - if you don't have it yet - I would recommend using Godaddy and use the coupon code OYH3 to get a .com for just $7.15.

andrej, Dec 2, 2007 IP
  14. Sem-Advance

Best Answers:
    Hostgator rocks I have 135 domains and use the monthly reseller package for $35.00 per month.

I use either namecheap or godaddy for domain registration as well.

15. depotgang

depotgang Peon

Best Answers:
    BANS is awesome but it is hard to make money quickly as an ebay affiliate. Make sure you add content on a regular basis and use social bookmarking to generate traffic.

Good Luck

depotgang, Dec 2, 2007 IP
  16. Sem-Advance

Best Answers:
    A popular misconception is an Internet business is a sure way to overnight success which is as far from the truth as can be.

Most offline business take 5 years to turn a profit. As such it is expected an online business will need time to see success.

Just because a business is online, does not mean the basic business principles still apply.

:)

17. emphi

emphi Peon

Best Answers:
    Hehe, I am perfectly aware that I will have to give it some time before expecting to earn much. Nothing comes for free, even I know that. But some things comes easier than others, but they still require time and work.

Anyway, just out of curiosity. How long did it take you to make a profit? After 6 months, what's your revenue?

emphi, Dec 2, 2007 IP
  18. Sem-Advance

Best Answers:
    I just started recently with BANS however I have already made some income with it.

Monthly I earn $7,500.00 to $15,000.00 from many different revenue streams.

19. Yordi

Yordi Peon

Best Answers:
    wow that's awsume I have a question is it possible to make about $300 a $500 a month with just one Ebay niche store?

thanks

Yordi, Dec 2, 2007 IP
  20. squeezeplaycards

squeezeplaycards Peon

Best Answers:
    I am using PHPbay. In less than a month I have recovered the cost of my domain and a months worth of hosting with Anhosting. The two main reasons I bought PHPbay instead of Bans were price and PHPbay runs on wordpress.

squeezeplaycards, Dec 2, 2007 IP