1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Start-page traffic schemes - do they work?

Discussion in 'General Marketing' started by weblaunch, Apr 10, 2005.

Has anyone had any success from start-page traffic schemes like nomorehits.com? I haven't had any luck with it. It seems like a model that can work. Any success stories?

weblaunch, Apr 10, 2005 IP
  2. wendydettmer

wendydettmer Peon

Best Answers:
    Anything that is labeled a 'scheme' doesn't sound too promising

wendydettmer, Apr 10, 2005 IP
  3. LiGhTen

LiGhTen Peon

Best Answers:
    Well if its easy target keywords it will work.

LiGhTen, Apr 10, 2005 IP
  4. miko67

miko67 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I don't know yet, but everybody please try and sign up here and we shall soon see what kind of traffic this can bring.

miko67, Apr 11, 2005 IP
  5. MattUK

MattUK Notable Member

Best Answers:
    These kind of things are the internet equivilent of pyramid schemes, just a waste of your time and money.

Do you really want to get traffic to your website that is just another webmaster reloading his page as many times as possible, in order to get the same crappy traffic back to his site. Not only is is a waste of time, but also money as you'll be using up your bandwidth. The only people that win out of it is the scheme owners who probably siphon of some of the hits themselves.

MattUK, Apr 11, 2005 IP
  6. yfs1

yfs1 User Title Not Found

Best Answers:
    Huge waste of money used to pad stats. I would be amazed if you even got one conversion from your hours of work and waste of bandwidth. That time could be spent on real SEO.

yfs1, Apr 11, 2005 IP
  7. miko67

miko67 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Hehe, ain't that the truth...

This is not the first "scheme" that I have tested, and a scheme it is :rolleyes: :eek:

I set up my computer at work like they told me to, quote:

[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]"Simple - ALL you do is modify the startup page of your browser. Next time you start your browser, you will automatically visit a member's website.[/font] And this is where it gets exciting!
    For every 2 browser startups your website will receive 1 visitor back! That is a 50% conversion rate.Costing you absolutely nothing."

Now what did I find? After achieving approximately 70 points I could see on the "scoreboard" that they were instantly used again by 35 visitors to my target website - so far so good.

But when I checked my website logs, I couldn't find any visitors at all (except 4 visits right around start-up)

Hrmmm.... what a scam this is :)

Does anyone by any chance have a free script for this kind of marketing?? Just asking of course ;)

miko67, Apr 11, 2005 IP
  8. akeeldin

akeeldin Guest

Best Answers:
    Marketing? Call it what it is Scaming :)

akeeldin, Apr 14, 2005 IP
  9. mddv

mddv Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    There was a time when it did work but now why bother to waste your time when there are other ways to get traffic to your site. E.G. link exchanging.

mddv, Apr 18, 2005 IP
  10. MattUK

MattUK Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I'd be very surprised if a scheme like that ever worked - apart from for the owner!

MattUK, Apr 18, 2005 IP