1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Star Ratings within a Post: How Do I Allow Readers to Submit A Review?

Discussion in 'HTML & Website Design' started by tokyostyle, Oct 15, 2014.

Hi All,

I am reviewing clubs on my blog www.tokyonightowl.com. As such, I want to display my star rating review, and I also want to display what readers submitted.

At the top of the page, I'd like to display both (no input option available):

Display the Data.png

At the bottom, I'd like readers to be able to submit their reviews.

Input the Data.png

Of course, I'd like to avoid bots submitting reviews. I'd also like people to be able to comment on the review without having to submit a rating. I am open to ideas on how to incorporate this.

Ideas/pointers/are much appreciated.

Thank you

Solved! View solution.
    tokyostyle, Oct 15, 2014 IP
    Topping the 'bots should not be a problem assuming you require users to be logged on. If you do not have user accounts then the reviews are worthless and can be gamed without 'bots. You have top have control and a record of who voted and limit them to only on vote per member. It is very simple to to keep track of who voted using a DB table keyed on the item id and user id.

Keeping 'bots out is something that should incorporated in the user registration.

COBOLdinosaur, Oct 16, 2014 IP
  3. tokyostyle

tokyostyle Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Thank you CoBol. I have decided to use Disqus for comments, but I'd like to have the poll rating as separate. I think for submitting a rating, they have to VALIDATE the rating via their email at a later date (they have to enter their email).

Does anyone know of any plug ins that can create a poll like the below:

Last edited: Oct 18, 2014
    tokyostyle, Oct 18, 2014 IP
  4. tokyostyle

tokyostyle Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Input the Data.png

tokyostyle, Oct 18, 2014 IP
  5. COBOLdinosaur

COBOLdinosaur Active Member

Best Answers:
    Well 'bots are generally not going to give you a valid email, and they are not going to respond to a validation email. However if you require an email to vote, then that will reduce the number of participants, because many users will be reluctant to post an email address because they are concerned about spam.

Plus gaming the results will be quite easy; I can create a thousand email accounts on my server so if you use that as a control you willl not have anything that comes close to being reliable.

As for a plugin when I search on plugin for polls Google returns over 4 million hits, but the whole first page is for various plugins for Wordpress which is a CMS I prefer not to recommend because it creates more problems than it solves.

COBOLdinosaur, Oct 20, 2014 IP