1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Standard/exact match algorithm, esp. w/ regard to duplicate detection

Discussion in 'Yahoo Search Marketing' started by kevinfishburne, Aug 2, 2008.

I've been using AdWords for almost a year, and did the basic research prior to starting a YSM account. I'm attempting to duplicate, as much as possible, my AdWords campaigns in YSM.

I have two campaigns, each with two ad groups. Each of the four ad groups has its own list of keywords, which I've been using in AdWords as both phrase and exact matches only. I've set my YSM account, campaigns, and ad groups to Standard/exact match type and disabled the content network.

When I add, for example, a list of the 60 possible keyword phrase variations of five words (different orders, pluralities, two words have one synonym each, and one word may be present or absent), YSM identifies 57 as duplicates and allows three to be used as keywords.

I've spoken to YSM tech support twice, and Jennifer kindly told me the first time that Advanced was for exact match and Standard was for broad match. Obviously she was misinformed, so when I filed another ticked and spoke with her the second time, she stated that Standard match exhibited the following behavior:
    1. Removal of common words such as "a", "as", "the", "with", etc.
    2. Indifference to the order of the words ("blue widgets" = "widgets blue")
    3. Indifference to plurality of the words ("blue widget" = "blue widgets")
    4. Indifference to the case of the words ("blue Widget" = "blue widget")

Is this the case? It certainly appears to be. If so, they need to stop referring to Standard match type as "exact" and refer to it as "narrow" or something. Compared to AdWords it's anything but exact. Thanks for your time all, and if anyone knows of a technical reference for YSM I'd appreciate the link. Yahoo's documentation appears to be very user friendly but not very informative.

kevinfishburne, Aug 2, 2008 IP