1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Sql server query help!

Discussion in 'Databases' started by fhirzall, Sep 25, 2006.

Hi everyone! Ok so I have 2 columns, one is a Name column, the other is a foreign key. In my Name column, this is the format of all the records in it :
    number-Name
    number ranges from like 1 to 1000, is there any way I can basically extract these numbers before each name, insert it into the foreign key column, then remove the number and the hyphen?
    I think I might need to use a regular expression, but I'm not so good at those.
    I'm not sure if I explained that right, let me know if you need me to explain more! Thank you.

fhirzall, Sep 25, 2006 IP
  2. ThomasNederman

ThomasNederman Peon

Best Answers:
    I would create a Cursor to do it. If you look in SQL help you will find how to create a cursor.

A cursor step throw every record, you can then use
    select SUBSTRING(name,CHARINDEX("-",namecol)) as DBID,namecol from table

as a question, then update with update table set IDcol=@dbid where name=@namecol

I dont have sql server here so i can not test the above, but something like that should work. Make sure you dont lock the record with the cursor, you can not update a locked record.

ThomasNederman, Sep 26, 2006 IP