1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Split

Discussion in 'HTML & Website Design' started by oo7ml, Mar 18, 2013.

Hi, i have a 'split-o-meter' on one of my forms on my site that allows a user to split an amount between two people.

I'm trying to decide which way the split-o-meter should move and represent the percentage split between the two users.

As you can see in the attached, if you want to give Peter more, you move the split button to the left towards Peter... BUT some of my test users think that the bar itself should represent the proportion allocated to Peter and Paul, so they think that the position that the bar is in now (attached) should mean that Peter has 30% and not 70%.

What is your opinion on this?

A - you think it is ok the way it is now, OR

B - you think that the current bar / split position should mean that Peter has 30% and not 70%

[​IMG]

oo7ml, Mar 18, 2013 IP
  2. SamantaKowalsky

SamantaKowalsky Peon

Best Answers:
    I think it should be the B option, now it's not as clear as it could be, and preferably make both of those bars (I know they're physically a single bar but u could split them) into two different colors to better represent what you intend, looks nice btw

SamantaKowalsky, Mar 18, 2013 IP
  3. deathshadow

deathshadow Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    Yeah, how it is now is really counterintuitive. Not sure why you'd even do it that way since the label makes it look like Peter is first -- you do not clearly state that this is what percentage Paul would get for the slider.

Though I'm hoping you have a manual entry for when scripting is disabled? Not a fan of this type of 'pissing all over a forms accessibility' stuff.

deathshadow, Mar 18, 2013 IP
  4. SamantaKowalsky

SamantaKowalsky Peon

Best Answers:
    Indeed, you always have to have a manual type field just in case, or if I'd like to set a certain split, let's say 64-36, it could be hard to precisely set it with such a box, it'd be better to just type it, but it sure looks nice and adds something to the whole experience

SamantaKowalsky, Mar 18, 2013 IP
  5. oo7ml

oo7ml Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Ok cool, thanks for all the input, B seems the winner hands down...

oo7ml, Mar 18, 2013 IP