1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Spidered by Google but not ranked (well)

Discussion in 'Websites' started by surefire, May 10, 2004.

This site:
    Shipping Containers for Sale

Used to rank #1 for 'shipping containers Jacksonville' and 'shipping containers Florida' as recently as two months ago. For the past sixty days, it has been out of the top 100... which doesn't seem to make sense based on the very limited competition for these terms. Nothing terribly relevant comes up for those searches.

The only thing I could come up with was that maybe there was a penalty against the site. No hidden text was ever used but I thought that the black background might be throwing Google off. So I replaced the black background with an image tile and replaced any writing on the background with an image (see logo). I also went through the site to improve the H1 tags.

Is there anything I'm missing any on-page factors that would prevent this site from being in the top 100? There are hardly any backlinks... but Google spiders the site on a regular basis.

277 hits from Googlebot this month alone.

Final note... it's number one on Yahoo for these search terms, so that's another reason for my confusion regarding Google.

Thank you in advance for your feedback!

surefire, May 10, 2004 IP
  2. iconv

iconv Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Don't think the black background would be any problem for Google, you'll need some backlinks of at least PR 5 sites to rank though.

iconv, May 10, 2004 IP
  3. Foxy

Foxy Chief Natural Foodie

Best Answers:
    Actually after Austin PR has been downgraded and is of lesser importance - it seems to have an effect of speed of registration - that is about it.

However other factors have grown in importance - you should read this thread, in its entirety

http://forums.digitalpoint.com/showthread.php?t=256

as it is showing some interesting trends

Foxy, May 10, 2004 IP
  4. schlottke

schlottke Peon

Best Answers:
    foxy,

is it proven that PR is less important now, or is that hearsay?

schlottke, May 10, 2004 IP
  5. surefire

surefire Guest

Best Answers:
    I am on page 23 of that thread and my eyes are burning... what I'm getting out of this experiement is that allinurl and allinanchor is key... I know that is oversimplification, but is that what you are suggesting?

There is a PR 5 site pointing to this one. I fixed the on page text and anchor text on the referring page so that hopefully it will help.

Any other ideas anyone?

surefire, May 10, 2004 IP
  6. Foxy

Best Answers:
    Based on own experience [Historically, 5 years, I have never ever been concerned about PR for the very simple reason that until recently, being on a Mac, it was almost impossible to determine, and more recently, watching the PR and other factors show very little support for PR] and common consensus here and elsewhere. :)

Foxy, May 10, 2004 IP
  7. Foxy

Best Answers:
    In a nut shell, yes - but keep reading to the end because McDar and I picked up on another thread about seoinc.com and then analysed it and you will see other factors kick in - for instance is it size of site or allinanchor that alters the basic structure of the results for seoinc?

Remember that internal links are v. important too - the PR of the page is not "that" important, in fact, other than getting a quicker response from G it does not affect much. :)

Foxy, May 10, 2004 IP