1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Spend Less Time on Twitter, You Gain More Followers

Discussion in 'Twitter' started by HomeBlogger, Jun 1, 2009.

Sometimes I visit Twitter profiles of some famous and popular people and I see that they’re not on Twitter as much as many people are, and they actually have thousands of followers, some of them already crossed the 1 million followers mark. Sounds weird, well I can tell you that - after I thought about it for a while, the more remarkable your background, the more people will follow you.

Read More > Spend Less Time on Twitter, You Gain More Followers

HomeBlogger, Jun 1, 2009 IP
  2. Highena.com

Highena.com Active Member

Best Answers:
    Yeh kind of obvious, that's because people assume if they begin following somebody with many followers they will get more exposure themselves. I came to the conclusion that most people on twitter don't really care much for what others are tweeting and are just there to promote their own stuff.

Highena.com, Jun 1, 2009 IP
  3. jkadin

jkadin Peon

Best Answers:
    Have you ever noticed on twitter suggested follower's have you noticed alot of famous people on it. Now how many people do you think that want to follower these famous people. For instance miley cyrus has a profile how many teen's and under want to follow her. i showed my daughter this she followered her because of my gran daughter. She has to have everthing she can put her hands on about miley cyrus. So how many mother's out the with twitter profiles doing the same for the daughter.

jkadin, Jun 1, 2009 IP
  4. WeeklyJoe

WeeklyJoe Banned

Best Answers:
    Twitter can get you alot of exposure on the internet, it's a great social network and I got into it pretty fast to be honest and I don't think I see myself moving away from it.

WeeklyJoe, Jun 1, 2009 IP
  5. hmansfield

hmansfield Guest

Best Answers:
    Miley Cyrus is a fricken cash cow these days. Twitter accounts like that are all about marketing, and swirling tweens into a frenzy which equates into buying power.

I wish I could have that much pull on any social network.

hmansfield, Jun 1, 2009 IP
  6. camp185

camp185 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    You will get bored of it soon enough. I went nuts with it first, made a lot of updates, even made the Twitter Toolbar for Firefox: http://www.bestwebimage.com/web-services-and-tools/twitter-toolbar-10/

Then reality kicks in with a little self evaluation. Nobody reads, and the ones that do are searching your comments in hopes to find a new prospect. Even if your friends are following, the odds are good they don't see many of your posts because they most likely follow tons of other people as well. I did a test a while back with nearly 4,000 followers. I'm @camp185. The test was to see how many of my followers saw my one update that. I posted "reply to this if you see this please. Just say Hi!" Five of my followers replied over the a half hour. Five saw my updated, and bothered to reply with 4,000 people following me. Twitter sucks. Here is a post I made about it: http://www.bestwebimage.com/archives/do-you-abuse-twitter/

camp185, Jun 1, 2009 IP
    GlowStormLion likes this.
  7. lbrg

lbrg Peon

Best Answers:
    Too bad you guys didn't have an account when they turned on "auto-follow" for a few months. I stopped using my account and came back to an extra 200+ followers, was kind of awesome.

lbrg, Jun 1, 2009 IP
  8. RJ Licata

RJ Licata Peon

Best Answers:
    I definitely agree that the majority of people on Twitter are concerned with two things: what they have to say and how many followers they have. Unless you are someone famous they are most likely only following you to encourage you to follow them.

Twitter is all the craze right now, but I have concerns (for them, I don't really care) that it will lose a lot of steam soon. I may be wrong, but it doesn't seem like there's a whole lot of community there. Mostly just a bunch of soap boxes.

RJ Licata, Jun 1, 2009 IP
  9. camp185

Best Answers:
    You can just sign up to Tweet Later. You can schedule tweets, and it allows you to auto follow. I get 20 new a day without even visiting Twitter.

camp185, Jun 1, 2009 IP
  10. Les_M

Les_M Peon

Best Answers:
    There certainly is community. Find out about hashtags. People in my hashtag location meet for beer or coffee all the time. They are called tweetups. We have lots of fun!! Hey check out my new feedping site on my signature!

Les_M, Jun 1, 2009 IP
  11. Fredzilla

Fredzilla Peon

Best Answers:
    twitter can be great to earn early exposure and some traffic for promoting brand new sites or blogs. you get traffic interested in your niche too which is most important :)

Fredzilla, Jun 1, 2009 IP
  12. HomeBlogger

HomeBlogger Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Articles:
    I believe that promotion on Twitter do not work really! As it's a social network people join it to connect with each other. But nowadays people abuse it and spam it with their products!

13. HomeBlogger

Best Answers:
    Articles:
    Sounds good. But following another expecting a follow back won't really benefit you.

14. hmansfield

hmansfield Guest

Best Answers:
    It will if you target your followers to people interested in your niche.
    No since in just following just any ole' body..that is a waste of your marketing efforts.
    I have 5 niche specific Twitter accounts that promote 5 different websites, and it works out just swell..especially with music niches, and sports.

hmansfield, Jun 1, 2009 IP
  15. allenzhang

allenzhang Peon

Best Answers:
    I registered last week

allenzhang, Jun 1, 2009 IP
  16. HomeBlogger

Best Answers:
    Articles:
    If they followed you expecting a follow back, it means they didn't follow you because they're interested in your content or in connecting with you. They are useless!

HomeBlogger, Jun 2, 2009 IP
  17. GlowStormLion

GlowStormLion Peon

Best Answers:
    See, we made a Twitter account for the VDay300 and got all sorts of junk followers, especially the 'local' dorks. And sometimes, the more I tweet, the fewer followers we have - which is pretty hilarious! Our thing is, we don't care. We didn't sign up to tweet ourselves to fame or anything and we don't follow people that don't provide anything useful in their tweets.

We started tweeting because we thought the point was to have a record of your activities saved into the overall timeline so when you want to look later you've got lots of little 'micro blog' entries...

Did we miss the point?

GlowStormLion, Jun 2, 2009 IP
  18. HomeBlogger

Best Answers:
    Articles:
    I agree, Twitter could be a record of your activities!

HomeBlogger, Jun 2, 2009 IP
    GlowStormLion likes this.
  19. camp185

Best Answers:
    camp185, Jun 2, 2009 IP
  20. GameFriends.com

GameFriends.com Peon

Best Answers:
    Depends how you approach Twitter...if you think the following/followers ratio is important or you need to follow as little people as possible I think you are missing the true point of it. Twitter was marketed as a way to follow interesting people but I see it also becoming a place for communication. You can't direct message someone unless you are "mutual friends" following one another. As long as your ratio is similar I say follow everyone and anyone because like any true network, the power is leveraged when more collaboration exists.

GameFriends.com, Jun 2, 2009 IP