1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Spammy Requests for Projects?

Discussion in 'General Business' started by Alan Whiteman, Mar 28, 2017.

I often receive the following request from a yahoo or hotmail email account; sometimes even sent as a text to my phone:

"Hello, My name is J____ C_____, I would like to know if you can handle website design for a new company and also if you do you accept credit cards ?? kindly get back to me... so i can send you the job details also due to my hearing impaired surgery the best way to get contact to me now is through text messages or email. Thanks"

The name always changes and the wording varies from time to time, but the bad grammar and punctuation remain consistent. There seems to be a whole community of deaf people needing web design services.

Has anyone followed through and answered to this incredulous spammy request?

Alan Whiteman, Mar 28, 2017 IP
  2. iwebsocial

iwebsocial Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Never reply to these type of emails. These are spam emails and does not have any value. Better don't entertain these emails and never respond to it.

iwebsocial, Mar 29, 2017 IP
    dcristo likes this.
  3. Alan Whiteman

Alan Whiteman Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Thanks iwebsocial. I understand these are fake requests, I'm not a naive newbie, that's why I said "incredulous spammy". I'm just curious about who is sending these and what is the purpose of the obviously fake emails. I was just wondering if anyone has tried to reply and what kind of answer they got.

Alan Whiteman, Mar 29, 2017 IP
  4. Anitasol

Anitasol Active Member

Best Answers:
    Don't respond to these emails. You can be working on a project you're never going to get paid for. I think their reason for sending these kinds of msgs is they want to get projects done, without paying for it....unless they're willing to pay in advance. :) It's just a matter of outsmarting people who think they can fool hardworking people like you.

Anitasol, Mar 29, 2017 IP
  5. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    I imagine the script would be

Them: I want a website
    You: OK
    Them: I'll pay be credit card
    Them: to make my life easier could you buy a harley motorbike and get it shipped to me, just add it to my bill
    3 months later
    You: how come you haven't paid?

sarahk, Mar 29, 2017 IP
  6. Alan Whiteman

Alan Whiteman Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Thank you Anitasol. After many years of doing web design, I have developed an instinct for distinguishing between solid leads and fake ones. I don't think that these people are trying to get free work. If anything, I would guess that they want to verify that my email is live to send even more spam.

Anitasol likes this.
  7. Anitasol

Anitasol Active Member

Best Answers:
    Yes, that's possible as well. Well, the reason they're doing it is none of our business, but once they starting do it to us, we should kill it before it goes worse.

Anitasol, Mar 29, 2017 IP
  8. Alan Whiteman

Alan Whiteman Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Thank you Sarahk. Your theory seems plausible. Some sort of money laundering. I would imagine that the targets are baby freelancers desperate to get some work... Possibly not native English speakers. The emails are horribly constructed and one would have to be pretty mentally disabled to take them seriously.

9. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    Every so often we get a news article about some poor sod who is trying to sell something, usually something physical rather than a service, and it needs to be shipped overseas to the buyer. The line is that they are paying for "up to x kilos" in shipping fees so they'd like to get some things added to the shipment because the shipping is essentially free until they hit x kilos. The buyer is a missionary in Nigeria or somewhere and they're missing the luxuries in life so could you get this shopping list. By now the seller has jumped through so many hoops finding out about shipping and taxes and all the documentation they're desperate to get the deal done and so they get all the extra stuff.

The sad thing is that it's not even money laundering, because no money is ever sent, or if there's a cheque or bank order it's disputed and the money returned. The seller knows the address but doesn't have the wherewithal/guts to chase it up.

sarahk, Mar 29, 2017 IP
  10. qwikad.com

qwikad.com Illustrious Member Affiliate Manager

Best Answers:
    When someone uses the word "kindly" in his/her email to me, I automatically ignore that email.

qwikad.com, Apr 3, 2017 IP