1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Spamdexing

Discussion in 'Search Engine Optimization' started by jocknotech, Sep 23, 2004.

I have not found any great definitions of keyword spamming (spamdexing). I recently paid $300 to have Yahoo index my site. Within days I was top #10 on their directory and also #10 on AlltheWeb and AltaVista (using the keywords which matched my title, description and what I do). I was checking the rankings with web based tools that do that. Then I read Google says do not check your rankings as it is a violation of their terms. Oh man, I hope that did not tick them off.

Now I see I do not even rank on AlltheWeb and Altavista anymore.

I use my main "key words" (2 of them together) which match my domain name six or seven times on my main page. And use them seperately, tastefully, and usefully about 10 other times each as well. All of the words used fulfill a purpose to the user. Might I be spamdexing? Is that why I fell from grace. I see web sites clearly spamdexing with #1 rankings.

SEO can be nerve racking. On one hand you are trying to learn and trying to communicate to this non-human entity who you are, but one wrong move and the giant SPIDER ROBOT starts ripping you to shreads and may forever ban you from the Land of Opportunity (not the State of Illinois, but rather Google).

I just read another article that said small text might make a search engine think that you are key word spamming. Wow! I just increased my text size.

Definite trade-off between SEO and asthetics.

I hate the idea of having search engines, which to me seem like an oligopoly (like the airline industry having few players -MSN, Yahoo, Google, AOL) and one having the power to subjectively ban. The government regulates oligopolies. I guess the airlines could do it if you created a propblem when you flew, but what if some GoogleGuy just decides that he does not like your site and you used your key words too much and poof your gone. How would you even know? They should warn you somehow.

What EXACTLY is spamdexing?

JockNoTech

jocknotech, Sep 23, 2004 IP
  2. joeychgo

joeychgo Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Google is on heavy drugs if it thinks it can enforce webmasters not checking their rankings!!! If I recall, their referring to programs designed to check rankings- not doing it manually.

As far as small text - they are referring to very small - like 4pt, which is pretty much unreadable by users. So dont worry about that....

As far as keywords - you should be shooting for what people are searching for - not what you think makes sense.

I dont know why the fall from grace. THose engines dont mean much anyway........ worry about google..........the others will catch up

joeychgo, Sep 23, 2004 IP
    jocknotech likes this.
  3. Ajeet

Ajeet Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Hi JockNoTech,
    Whatever spamdexing is, I do not think that is the reason for your "fall from grace." There are so many other factors and the combination of them have kicked in. If you would like people to look at your specific page/site and provide comments, please let us all know.

Incidentally, I think I only heard you talk about on-page factors. What about links? and anchor text?

Welcome to these forums.
    Ajeet

Ajeet, Sep 23, 2004 IP
    jocknotech likes this.
  4. Michael

Michael Raider

Best Answers:

Search Google for define spamdexing

You need to relax....

Turn off the 'phones put on some soft music and sit down with your PC and a nice cup of coffee. Then work your way slowly through a SEO tutorial such as this one here.

Your feel better for it.... :)

- Michael

Michael, Sep 23, 2004 IP
    jocknotech likes this.