1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Spam

Discussion in 'Security' started by awesomehosting, Jan 18, 2008.

Hi

any help on the following:

Is there no way of blocking how the emails is received by the mailserver? Ie by smtp for example or are sendmail and smtp the same thing by mail relayers ??

I have a domain that must send email and the only way is via sendmail is there a way of blocking off all other domains on that server from sending email ? Is there a way that I can set that domain to only snd email via sendmail and block smtp ? Sorry might be a lame question but I need help please.

In addition to this the sheer amount of spam that is received on the server is there no way of blocking addresses that are able to send to the server?

Thank you in advance for you input.

awesomehosting, Jan 18, 2008 IP
  2. boltok

boltok Active Member

Best Answers:
    I don't quite understand your first question. Sendmail is an MTA, or mail transfer agent, while SMTP is a mail protocol. You need an MTA to send or receive mail and SMTP is the protocol used to achieve this.

If you want to block mail for specific domains, you'll need to check the Sendmail config and implement the rules required for this.

To stop spam, either study and implement all the techniques that are essential to do this or just go with a third-party solution.

I've virtually eradicated spam from my servers, but it took a lot of effort to get everything perfectly running. If you're interested in how I did it, you can check out my writeup on the subject:

http://sajjadzaidi.com/2008/jan/spam_firewall_and_filtering_techniques/

boltok, Jan 18, 2008 IP
  3. awesomehosting

awesomehosting Banned

Best Answers:
    Let me try explain this another way, the mail on the server is not only from the sendmail program how else are they sending mail through my server and how do I stop it so that only sendmail is able to send email through...

I have read what you wrote nice article thank you...

Can you elaborate on how you achieved this ? and how one can do this ?

4. awesomehosting

awesomehosting Banned

Best Answers:
    Found it in Cpanel

will give this a try....thanx