1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

"Something is wrong with the XAMPP installation"

Discussion in 'PHP' started by offthedome, Sep 17, 2011.

I installed XAMPP, but I am getting that error. I tried reinstalling it but I continue to get that error. I have no clue what else to do since I have never done this before. Someone HELP!

offthedome, Sep 17, 2011 IP
  2. digitalX

digitalX Active Member

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    you can download wamp, and install it, maybe it'll work for you.

digitalX, Sep 17, 2011 IP
  3. tnhomestead

tnhomestead Peon

Best Answers:
    What OS are you running? I have run into major hassles on 7, so I switched to one of the wamp variants and it solved all problems. Zend server is free and works too, And you know to turn Skype off before running, right?

tnhomestead, Sep 17, 2011 IP
  4. offthedome

offthedome Active Member

Best Answers:
    I figured it out. Totally a n00b thing, but I was trying to double click the file to open it. Even though it's n00b of me to do that, shouldn't there be something to say that you need to type a url like http://localhost/ instead of double clicking the file?

5. Rukbat

Rukbat Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Double-clicking an .html file? No, that's like signs on traffic lights telling you to stop on red and go on green. It's too elementary for there to be "something". Double-clicking oin a file - any file - opens it in the default program for the extension. Computer 101.

Rukbat, Sep 17, 2011 IP
  6. offthedome

offthedome Active Member

Best Answers:
    I think you misunderstood. Double clicking the php file DOES NOT cause the file to open in a browser properly. On the contrary, instead of double clicking the file, you have to go to http://localhost/ .

7. Rukbat

Rukbat Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I understood exactly what you said. What program runs which extension is something local to your computer. If that's the way you have it set up, that's how it works. Double-clicking a php file opens it in the default browser in Windows (that's how Windows comes). Since that's not what you want to happen to a php file, double-clicking it is not the way to run it.

This is a case of operator error (due to operator misunderstanding). The computer was working the way it should.

Rukbat, Sep 18, 2011 IP
  8. offthedome

offthedome Active Member

Best Answers:
    OK, I think you're totally missing my point. Let's just end this conversation.

offthedome, Sep 18, 2011 IP
  9. dcromley

dcromley Peon

Best Answers:
    (Is it OK to reply to a years-old thread?)
    offthedome was very helpful to me in this thread. Thank you.

Related question --
    I know that browser-open: "filename.php" does not work,
    that you need localhost/pathname/filename.php.

Would somebody please give a few words explaining why
    the former doesn't work and the latter does? Thanks, Dave

dcromley, Sep 20, 2012 IP
  10. Rukbat

Rukbat Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    browser-open: "filename.php" is trying to open the file "filename.php" in the default path you have set in Windows. If the file isn't there the browser won't find it.

It's like my telling you to go to Main Street. Unless I mean the "Main Street" in the town we're standing in, I have to tell you which town too. That's what "localhost/pathname/" does - it tells the browser where to find "filename.php".

The reason you can get away with just "filename.php" when you're online is that the person writing the site makes sure that "filename.php" is in "localhost/", which is the default path for the web server. If the file is in "localhost/pathname/" you have to specify it too. (Best practices call for any file the user can access to be in the root [localhost in your local installation] and files below that directory to be linked to by files in the directory - and no access for the user below it.)

Rukbat, Sep 21, 2012 IP
  11. dcromley

dcromley Peon

Best Answers:
    Thank you, but I should have been more clear --
    I was questioning just what difference "localhost" made.
    So 1) pathname/filename.php
    vs. 2) localhost/pathname/filename.php
    I know "localhost" puts it under the server-http business, but that doesn't sound very good.
    Please explain in better english.

Rukbat, I love your "Required reading". I'm going to spend more time on it.

dcromley, Sep 21, 2012 IP