1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Someone's domain is pointing at my site?!?

Discussion in 'Domain Names' started by Angelus, Dec 22, 2006.

1. PayItForward

PayItForward Peon

Best Answers:
    It's happening because someone forget to change the A record at their registrar. It happens more often with shared IPs and people who have unused, old domains that were previously functional.

It really isn't a bad thing for you. I wouldn't worry about it.

PayItForward, Dec 23, 2006 IP
  2. lorien1973

lorien1973 Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Or they are doing it on purpose.

In 2004 or 2006 elections, some guy had registered janetreno.com (running for Governor of FL) and just redirected it to her real election site. People linked to janetreno.com; thinking it was her site; when the election got up and running...he switched the domain to be a bash janet reno site instead. And since people linked to it, it got lots of traffic. Great idea.

But I'm not so sure I'd want someone capitalizing on my domain name and trying to garner free links or siphon off traffic, even if its unlikely to have a long term impact.

lorien1973, Dec 23, 2006 IP
  3. Mia

Mia R.I.P. STEVE JOBS

Best Answers:
    This really raises an interesting point, or question rather Lorien. I really wonder what the legal ramifcatiions of this are. I mean is it really illegal to point a domain to another domain? Is it really any different than simply linking?

I know there are currently thousands of attorneys on DP. Hopefully one that actually went to school to be a lawyer could answer this question. I know of no precident or case law that really defines the legality of this particular issue.

Mia, Dec 24, 2006 IP